Thursday, April 18, 2013

Torrey Pines (North and South)

This is the third year of my "go play a PGA Tour course" adventure with my dad. Southern California was an obvious choice since I have an aunt and uncle out there... and my sister's family is currently stationed there as well. So we decided to play both courses at Torrey Pines, home of the Farmers Open.

South Course

The first day we played the South Course, which is significantly more famous than the North Course. Three of the four rounds at the Farmers is held here, as well as the 2008 U.S. Open. So this is the first course I've ever played that hosted a Major Championship.

The rough wasn't grown out, but from the white tees it plays 6,628 yards. It was nasty, and definitely not the course to metaphorically lose your driver on (which I did). Two par-4s were 440+  (again, from the white tees), so you're really just playing for bogey most of the time.

It was a little surprising how many holes were NOT on/near the Pacific Ocean. Given the property, they could have done a much better job constructing a layout that maximize the view.

Par-3, #3 - hitting downhill toward the ocean.

The highlight of my round was #18, one of the more memorable finishing holes in golf thanks to Tiger Woods' U.S. Open heroics. Going into that hole I was tied with my dad in net score (down one in gross). A driver and 3-wood left me about 115 from the pin, which I stuck a PW 8 feet from the hole. I finally made a putt for birdie to win by two net (one straight up). The old man still hasn't recovered. I finished with a round of 94.


North Course

The next day we took on the North Course. It was more scenic, more enjoyable, and cheaper than the famous South Course. The PGA uses it for one round during the Farmers because the pros find it too easy. But for amateurs like myself, it plays a respectable 6,327 from the white tees. I still couldn't hit a driver, but scrapped my way to an 86 after making par on the final five holes.

#13 - Long uphill par 4, and the prettiest in Torrey Pines.

That was good enough to crush my dad, bringing my record to 6-0 against him (straight-up and net) on PGA courses.

--------------

Overall, Torrey Pines is a great experience. It's immaculate, but has this really weird public course feel (it's one of the only city run courses that have ever hosted a PGA Major). The North Course was by far a better value, but you have to suck it up and attempt to survive the South at least once in your life. If you ever find yourself in San Diego... go to the course on a weekday in the early morning. Put your name on the waiting list. You'll get a tee time.

4 comments:

Tǿkén said...

Nice summary Chan...

Chandler said...

You should come along to next year's trip. Trying to talk Geoff into it too. In fact, if any of you people want to join, you're more than welcome.

DanPBC said...

Looks awesome! Where are you thinking for next years trip? I hear Pinehurst #2 is obtainable plus they have a lot of other courses.

Chandler said...

Pinehurst is definitely on the list. But we might do Kiawah Island.