Tuesday, July 1, 2014

GIMMIE a Break!

As most of you were spared from my horrible performance at countryway, I hope most will empathize on my recent lack of play and sleep and energy has been due to a new addition to the family. However, one such league member was not.

There weren't many highlights to my round on Sunday, but a chip from the fringe to put it "close" to the cup for a bogey save was one. As I walked up to the ball I looked at Chandler and asked if it was good. He said no and the debate on how long a gimmie putt began.

Attached is a pic of the now negotiated distance we agree to putt was for (2' 5 1/2"). Lets remind the field that it was for bogey and was after a nice chip off the fringe.

What's the vote on if this should've been a gimmie, does your distance of gimmie putts vary based on what stroke its for and what previous shot contributed to its current distance?

Let the record show that I did make the putt, but the feeling of a good chip and finally a decent score to a hole was replaced with frustration due to a league member who must be dead inside.


11 comments:

  1. Not sure what the previous shot has to do with anything. Rules aren't subjective.

    Either way... People who suck at golf must attempt 2.5 foot putts. You fall into this category. And the fact that you threw a tantrum proves that even you doubt your ability to make an "easy" putt. Case closed. Not a gimmie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have to ask it's clearly not a gimmie. As I stated weeks ago I'm done with gimmies unless it's inside a putter head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The game of golf had more rules than Chinese chess. Follow them all and watch your handicaps sky rocket!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, that looks way too long to be a gimmie anyway. In my opinion a gimmie should be half that. Even though, i'm a terrible putter, I agree with Dan. We should eliminate gimmie putts and putt everything down. I've played with some of the generous golfers in our league and even had to overrule them on my own putts, because I know I've missed similar attempts. Perhaps that's why less golfers win when they play with Chandler? It's not that he talks shit, he just doesn't give 2 footers, thus adding a few extra strokes to everyone's round.

    Gimmies are too subjective. Personally I wouldn't give myself, tall Mike, Darren, or Gorecki anything outside of 8 inches. I've seen us all miss them. The only consitent and fair way to do it is to putt everything down. It's no more effort to tap it in than to scoop it up with your putter anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I give 40 footers when they're for double-par.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think we have to go to the extreme of completely disallowing gimmies. If you have an 18 inch putt straight uphill for double I'm not going to make you putt it. It probably took you forever to get to that point so get the hell out of the way. The problem with giving somewhat generous putts for bogey to someone getting 20+ strokes is that they could technically be for a net birdie. I doubt anyone would give me a putt outside of 6 inches for a real birdie. And I don't feel that the shot before the putt comes into play at all. I hit a 220 yard hybrid to 10 feet the other day. Should I get the birdie as a reward for a good shot?

    ReplyDelete
  7. And speaking of double-pars. The max 6/8/10 rule clearly helps the high handicappers the most so I'd be careful about complaining when you have to hole out from two feet for bogey seeing as how without that rule there'd be some scary high numbers on the card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For those of you keeping score at home... 4 people have told Gorecki to shut up. Zero have agreed with him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If one member in the group says it's not a gimme, it's not a gimme. Distance doesn't matter. Could be a tap in, and still not a gimme.

    ReplyDelete
  10. JW is correct on that rule (DPT PR 12.0). One person has the power to veto any "gimmie." That putt might mean something to one person, and not to the other three.

    When Gorecki wanted that putt, he was in last place with me in 2nd to last. I was still playing for pride (ie: not to lose to Gorecki). I had to make up 4 strokes in 3 holes just to put some distance (Dan) between us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Faz, half the time people get a gimmie, they putt it anyway, just to see. And half of the time they miss and blame it on "not taking their time" or "not setting it up". So, it doesn't really speed the round up unless it's immediately picked up.

    ReplyDelete