Wednesday, December 28, 2016

The New "Ryder Cup" Trophy

I've been alluding to this for over a year, but the time has come to re-brand our annual team tournament. While it's structured after the famous USA vs. Europe exhibition, we need something specifically unique to us. And it should be consistent with our league name... as in... it shouldn't make any sense.

Over the past year I've been scouring the internet looking for a trophy. Once I found/built the hardware we're playing for, I could craft the story behind it. I also wanted a heavy, sturdy, mostly Darren-proof item. Something cast in bronze would be perfect. And it should make people scratch their heads when we bring it inside the clubhouse after the event.

There are a ton of random bronze statues on the internet for sale. Many of them are fantastic works of art, and quite expensive. I almost pulled the trigger a few times, but I found pieces coming from China had inconsistent prices and questionable quality descriptions. I couldn't chance wasting league money on something that wasn't as advertised. We run a tight financial ship over here.

So my journey continued. Aimlessly wandering around the web for what seemed like 40 years, desperately searching for the Promised Trophy. And then he appeared... residing in New Jersey... it's motherfuckin' Moses!

Hello.

Moses was the original superhero (or supervillain, to the Egyptians), and the embodiment of law, persistence, strength and unwavering blind-faith. He was an unstoppable killing-machine with a temper that would make the Hulk blush. Sure, Mo' only straight up murdered one person. But he used the powers and word of God to rack up a body count in the tens of thousands. All while living off psychedelic mushrooms.

Weighing 12 lbs. and standing 14.5" tall, "The Moses" also doesn't mess around. He can currently preside over the next 9 years of competition, at which point I'll need to figure out a new base. Lil Mo' will also live with, protect, and judge the shit out of the winning captain for a year. And all victorious team members will be immortalized on Mo's pedestal.

Behold.

Dave will take the first official possession of The Moses on Week 1 of the new season. And next week I'll tell you about the other slight changes to the event.

7 comments:

  1. Love the trophy but what should we call the event? The Moses Cup?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are the names listed in order of draft picks? I see one name on there three times, but the most I see of anyone else is two. Hmmm...

    What's the name of the event, then? DPT Cup, Dudes Parting (the sea) Together?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got something ridiculous in the hopper for the tournament name. That will be Part 2 coming in day or so.

    Dudes Parting (the sea) Together is funny though.

    Names are alphabetical by first name, so it's just easy to find people.

    But I think they made a mistake... I don't see Darren on there anywhere. And he's played in 3 events... how is it possible the Baron has no wins?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reid's right. I'm always useless by Sunday. Need to pace myself better, but that's no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who alphabetizes by first names? soon you'll be pledging allegiance to Canada and spelling words different like "my new favourite PGA player is.."

    ReplyDelete