Monday, June 20, 2011

Handicaps and Match-Ups

We have some things to determine over the next few weeks.  Let's start with the easiest issue.

Bito/Gomez would like an opportunity to actually play against Robb/Ryan.  So I tweaked week 8 to give them that match-up.  In doing so, Frank/Steve now play the Asians in a rematch of week 4, but without Bobby dropping nukes on them.  I think this change actually makes the schedule better, giving E-Flo/Cong a chance to go up against the normal Frank Squad (assuming everyone can play that week).

-----------

Next is the handicap issue of Frank/Bobby vs. Reid/Geoff in week 7.  Here's the data we have:
  1. On the same course (Bloomingdale), on the same day, from the same tees... Frank/Bobby shot 67 while Reid/Geoff shot 89.  That's a difference of 22 strokes.
  2. If I take Frank/Steve's actual handicap data... and plug in a round of 67 at Bloomingdale... it drops them to 5.6, which is a difference of 8 strokes from Reid/Geoff's HCP.
  3. Frank/Bobby's gross average is 67 (one round of data) whereas Reid/Geoff's is 83 (five rounds of data), a difference of 16 strokes.
#1 is probably too many strokes since it's based on only one round.  #2 is probably too few since it's using a bunch of data for Frank/Steve with only one round of Frank/Bobby.  #3 is just a more accurate version of #1.

So I really don't know.  We can revisit it after we get one more weeks worth of data.  If I had to go on my "gut feeling," I'd say an accurate number of strokes would be about 11.  That way if Frank/Bobby shoot par, Reid/Geoff would tie with their average of 83.  And if Frank/Bobby go under par again, it forces Ebony and Ivory to go under their average.

But like I said... it's just a guess at this point.  So discuss, and try to get up to 70 comments this time.

    37 comments:

    1. How come Geoff and Reid aren't getting any better...

      ReplyDelete
    2. Similar to how the alcoballics past few seasons have been going.....

      ReplyDelete
    3. Cause they can't chip.

      Me and Justin aren't getting any better either... sadly.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Hey Frank, how far did you go in the past 3 playoffs? Ohhhh, that's right, not very...

      ReplyDelete
    5. Pretty sure Frank and Bobby will shoot under par.

      ReplyDelete
    6. cuz were too busy grilling for the whole league... Mark it down this season!

      ReplyDelete
    7. We're more of a sprinter kinda team, not a marathon

      ReplyDelete
    8. Weve got a bunch of vaporizing alcoholics on our team. We're only good for an hour or so at a time

      ReplyDelete
    9. I say we give them 8 strokes

      ReplyDelete
    10. Hahaha...you should change your team name to the Vaporizers. You guys are pretty stacked this season so anything less than a Championship is a failure.

      ReplyDelete
    11. Haha... you would pick the fewest of the discussed strokes, Frank.

      Many more comments to go to get to 70.

      Oh, Frank and Steve sent me a genius idea yesterday. I'll be looking into that this week.

      ReplyDelete
    12. I could see Geoff and Token shoot a 78. We could shoot a 68. Maybe do it 10 strokes... IDK..

      ReplyDelete
    13. Hopefully we wont be the Miami Heat of Kickball

      ReplyDelete
    14. Is Florian the Chris Bosh of Superbad? Has a few good games, but not really worth the max money?

      ReplyDelete
    15. If Steve and I would be giving Geoff and Reid 4-5 strokes if we played them tomorrow, I dont think Bobby and I are more than 4-5 strokes better than that.. Meaning we should give them 9-10 strokes?

      ReplyDelete
    16. I don't know... Bobby Boucher is the man.

      Like I said... my gut tells me 11. But I don't have much of a gut. So if they agree on 10 then run with it.

      ReplyDelete
    17. From what I've heard, we could give Bobby 12 strokes and he'd beat us by himself. If you give us 10 and shoot par... then we have to shoot 82 to just tie. Which you guys are likely to shoot under par, so we'd have to play lights out to even keep it close. I'd say give us 5 on the front and we can talk after 9, but...

      How's 10 sound? That's one less than chandler suggested and 2 more than you think is fair, so it's probably fair-ish. You'll likey still smoke us.

      Thoughts?

      ReplyDelete
    18. Im ok with 11, I just dont know if Bobby was at his best at Bloomingdale or not. I know he said it was a good day for him. Ive only played with him that one time, so I dont know how consistent he is...

      ReplyDelete
    19. I could see us shooting par maybe on an average day? Idk.

      72 vs an 83? I think you guys could do better than an 83 though, as we could do better than a 72.. I think 11 would be fair?

      ReplyDelete
    20. Let's call it 11.

      If Frank/Bobby go below par again... then you can easily make the case that it's about time Ebony and Ivory shoot in the mid 70's.

      ReplyDelete
    21. How about we call it 10.5... so there aren't any ties.... haha

      ReplyDelete
    22. I think that works.. If they shoot their best, a 78, we'd have to shoot what we did last time to win, a 67

      ReplyDelete
    23. We got ourselves a God Damn deal?

      ReplyDelete
    24. We should sell tickets to this thing... Pay-per-view?

      ReplyDelete
    25. I want to play with the pro! When do I get a chance at MR Bobby JONES?

      GOMEZ/.............BITO

      ReplyDelete
    26. Bito helped with your signature just now. Put that down on your scorecard.

      ReplyDelete
    27. lol... Hey, since it is 3 weeks away, can we see how you guys do this next weekend, then decide if we want to keep it at 10.5? That is if you guys get any better...

      ReplyDelete
    28. It's Bobby Bottleservice btw..

      http://FunnyOrDie.com/m/2qci

      ReplyDelete
    29. Yeah we can talk about it next week. At least we have some sort of starting point.

      But they're playing Robb/Ryan... so they'll probably shoot 90 this week.

      ReplyDelete
    30. can i come drive around in a golf cart and watch these shenanigans and drink?

      ReplyDelete
    31. someone should learn how to spell substitute on this blog <>

      ReplyDelete