Not so fast...
- It's at 9:30am so we're leaving at 7:15am. I'm one of the worst morning people on the planet (other than my girlfriend).
- It's a full handicapped 2-man Best Ball format. People always confuse "best ball" with "scramble." I don't blame them because the names aren't intuitive... but "scramble" is what we play in DPT Golf. Everyone hits, you pick the best shot and hit from there. "Best ball" is really "best score." Everyone plays their own ball... you put the lowest score on the card. So I'll actually have my own personal score for the round.
- It's from the tips.
Congressional County Club (US Open) - 7,574
Atlanta Athletic Club (PGA Championship) - 7,467
Augusta National (The Masters) - 7,435
Firestone CC - 7,400
Bay Hill - 7,381
Innisbrook (Copperhead, here in Tampa) - 7,340
TPC Doral (Blue Monster) - 7,266
TPC Scottsdale - 7,216
TPC Sawgrass - 7,215
Royal St. George (British Open) - 7,106
Pebble Beach - 6,816
So of that list, which includes all four Majors this year, only the US Open (being played this weekend) is longer. And yes, I realize "longer" does not always mean "harder." The slope tells you the difficulty of a course, and I'll post about that next time. But "longer" is an issue for me since I've developed the yips over the past few weeks and can't hit a drive more than 150 yards.
Here are some course highlights:
#3 - Par 3 - 238 yards - Massive green with crazy ridges in it. Anywhere you land is 4-putt zone.
#6 - Par 4 - 478 yards - Tee shot is all up-hill. I rarely get there in two from the blues.
#7 - Par 5 - 618 yards - Tee shot is probably uphill 75 feet. Second shot goes downhill over 100 feet.
#11 - Par 4 - 491 yards - Probably a 200 yard carry over a hazard and tee boxes to find the fairway. No way I finish this hole.
#14 - Par 4 - 507 yards - Now this is just stupid.
#18 - Par 4 - 481 yards - Tiny elevated green which is impossible to hit with the 3-wood I'll be using on my 3rd shot.
So anyway, there is no "max" per hole in this tournament. I might have to pick up a few times, but we'll see. Start taking bets now on what I shoot. I'm also pretty sure I can get anyone from DPT up there for $35 this summer. We don't have to play the tips, so just let me know.
wow 507 PAR 4
ReplyDeleteI say you shoot a 117... becuase you're going to have a GOOD day!
ReplyDeleteGood luck with that!
I'm down to play wherever, but when are we going to start playing some easy courses? When is the trip to Babe?
Most of the courses (except Bloomingdale) we play in the league are easy. It's the other trips we do that are hard: Lake Jovita... Reunion Resort... etc
ReplyDeleteSteve is saying that dunedin is going to be harder than Bloomingdale. I guess it is really narrow with a bunch of bunkers around the greens
ReplyDelete120 How many strokes is a pick up? The trip doesn't sound like a leisurely day of golf. Seems more like work!
ReplyDeleteI'll be tired on Sunday so you'll have to carry our team, Justin. We start with a one stroke deficit!
ReplyDeleteI got this!
ReplyDeletehehehe.. just the tip.. Nice one Chan Chan...
ReplyDelete