Tuesday, August 9, 2011

How Not to Bogey a Hole

Justin and I won the J. Evans Invitational by 7 strokes.  However, our victory could really be attributed to #5 on the Watson course.  This par 4 is the number one handicap hole, and plays 406 yards from the whites (which we were teeing from at the time).  It was our one blow-up hole... and if we hadn't gotten extremely lucky our opponents probably would have played with more vigor.  Yes... vigor.

The illustration didn't really turn out how I wanted... but fuck it.

Justin = dark red
Chandler = orange
Un-used shots = dotted lines



Tee shot - Justin sprayed his to the right and hit a giant two-story house.  I faded mine into the fairway bunker.  Knowing that we couldn't reach the green in two from there, Justin decides to use his mulligan.  He sprays it into the same house.

2nd shot - We were only trying to lay up, but I pick the ball clean and blast it into the trees on the left.  Justin (knowing we only need to advance the ball 100 yards or so) manages to do the exact same thing.  I assume both balls are lost and decide to use my mulligan, which I top 10 feet into the same bunker.  At this point we decide it's better to take the penalty stroke from the lost balls instead of trying to hit from the bunker again.

3rd shot - Justin's ball is lost, but we actually find mine up against the trees and under a palm.  Using the "one club-length rule" that was in effect, we were able to move the ball backwards enough to hit it... although we were standing in the bushes and couldn't take a full swing.  Justin attempts to punch the ball out but instead hits it fat and "tickles it" 15 feet or so.  I decide to change from a wedge to a 6-iron and run the ball up to the green.  Instead, I hit the shit out of it and it screams toward the waste bunker.  Miraculously... the ball hits our opponents cart (represented by the double-decker bus) and stops just off the green in the rough.  If they were not parked there, we might have taken an 8 on this hole.

4th shot - My chip is on the green but far away and left a downhill putt.  Justin hits his too hard but we decide to use it due to the uphill read.

5th shot - Justin misses the 10-footer by a few inches, and I manage to roll mine in to save bogey.

It's always better to be lucky than good.

2 comments:

  1. That illustration pales in comparison to the one of the PAL fields with a giant pile of shit in the middle.

    ReplyDelete