So how much fun did we all have this past weekend? I think we all would agree thats a tough course and at times we make it even tougher when we tee it off poorly and find ourselves at a disadvantage cause our 2nd shots are now gonna be a longer more difficult shot to hit, almost guaranteeing ourselves a bogey or worse.
So when Chandler proposed we play summerfield at 6,400 yds and a slope of 125, I asked if this was a "DPT Major" cause that seems like a difficult slope and why would we set ourselves up for another potential day of displeasure.
When I learned there is an option to play the forward tees at 5,800 and a slope of 119. Chandler proposed I write a blog post persuading why I think we should play from these tees.. So here we go....
I originally assumed tee box selection should be based on your handicap. But when I researched this the USGA had a direct answer to my question:
Shouldn't golfers select tees based on their handicap?Not in this
approach. The idea is to help golfers play from tees that allow them to hit more
lofted clubs for their approach shots.
So I asked Chandler what he believes our league participants average drive distance is. He answered 200-225 yds.
Here's what the USGA recommends:
PGA of America/USGA RecommendationsIn 2011, the PGA of America and USGA issued a set of recommendations designed to encourage golfers to play from appropriate yardages. These guidelines are based on golfers' average driving distance. So find your driving distance, then see what yardage these two organizations recommend.
Avg. drive - Recommended Tees
300 yards - 7,150-7,400 yards
275 yards - 6,700-6,900 yards
250 yards - 6,200-6,400 yards
225 yards - 5,800-6,000 yards
200 yards - 5,200-5,400 yards
175 yards - 4,400-4,600 yards
150 yards - 3,500-3,700 yards
125 yards - 2,800-3,000 yards
100 yards - 2,100-2,300 yards
Now I spoke with Geoff tonight at bowling and he associates shorter tee boxes with limiting the use of his driver in fear of driving through the fairway. But Chandler informed him that Summerfield has very few doglegs and mostly straight ahead tees to greens. So I just finished reviewing their course layout and sure enough, I only count approx 4-5 dog leg holes. (I'm sure Chandler will do a much more thorough investigation into this to confirm) So for you "long drivers" this can only serve as an advantage if we tee it forward as your second second should be a a high lofted iron approach.
So let me know your opinions. You obviously know my vote. I also was going to propose using different tee boxes, but Chandler shot that down due to our greenies and long drive competitions. I also to complain to the USGA on their choice of wording listed below:
Should golfers of all different abilities in one group each play from
different tee markers?They can, but you should recommend that the group
play from the same tee markers. This is more sociable, plus is proven to be
faster. Recommend the group select tee markers that are most appropriate for a
majority of the players, while ensuring that the weakest player could still
enjoy the experience.
Just cause I prefer to tee it forward doesn't conclude I'm a "weak" player. The DPT Standings will back me up on that!
Nice post... however I disagree and not because I'm a good golfer.
ReplyDeleteThe average player in our league doesn't hit the ball 200-225 with a driver. the average player hits it 225-260. So your highlighted tees are wrong.
I looked at the hole by hole layouts on the course and while the front nine wouldn't make much of a difference which tees we played from.Forward tees on the back nine would bring more danger for the average drive distance in our league than the next ones back. Holes 11,14 and 18 bring hazards into play that might not be in range from a farther tee.
Like we spoke about at bowling; I'd rather not be able to reach the water,sand from the tee than have a closer approach shot.
It's hard to say with certainty since there are no yardages on the online layouts but...
We can put it to a vote but as of now I think we should be playing the Gold tees.
He asked me yesterday and I said our average drive is about 230.
ReplyDeleteWe should be playing somewhere between 6,100-6,200 each week.
I'm on the fence about the request, only because I don't think either side of this particular course is going to affect us. But Chris is for sure going to want to play the golds, so it looks like Gorecki lost his bid anyway.
Yes i prefer the golds but since I'm essentially done with the season I'll do whatever the group wants. But my slogan still stands...sack up.
ReplyDeleteAlright Gorecki wanted me to look at Google Maps and see if I could get the landing zones for 11, 14 and 18 (from the black tees).
ReplyDelete#11 - 200 yards to the right of the bunker, 240 to the left of it. This will be a tough hole no matter what you hit. OB down the left side... cutting the corner is dangerous. Best case you'll have 160 yards in if you play safe.
#14 - It's 230 to the water if you pull it left where that one lone tree is. Anything down the center or right will clear the bunker and be fine. The safe play is to not hit driver, but "going for it" isn't a huge deal length-wise. The real danger is hitting it OB on the right.
#18 - Not a problem as it is about 255 to that water. Ideal from black tees is about 240 into the fairway.
Of the 3 holes Geoff mentioned, I'd say he can hit driver on two of them.
I might change my vote to the black tees if Gorecki doesn't complain about anything for the entire round...
ReplyDeleteAnd if he brings beer to help with our hangovers...
ReplyDeleteWhat is this? Bartaring for votes? Fine, i'll bring beer, but I get to choose the flavor...
ReplyDeleteWhat about the complaining? Haha. No way you can make it through a round without talking about sandies and long drive...
ReplyDelete"I complain to entertain". This has been my motto this year as it gives us somthing to debate while we stand at the tee box each hole during our 5 hr rounds cause you schedule such late tee times.
ReplyDeleteAnd fine, I won't complain for the ENTIRE round on a condition that you all give me 3 foot "gimmie putts" and dont talk when im standing over them.
Oh you gotta putt everything out. Especially if you're making us tee up so much closer to the hole.
ReplyDelete3ft putts? More like 5 or 6ft.
ReplyDelete