I can't speak for the other two groups but my group (Reid, Dave, Ben, Faz) really struggled on and around the greens all day. The greens are always the toughest part of this course but I can't remember a day when an entire group had so much difficulty throughout the entire round. I swear I'm not exaggerating when I say we easily had at least twenty 3-putts and even the occasional 4-putt. Personally, a very telling sign that I struggled on the greens is the fact that I didn't lose a ball all day and still shot an 87. If Dave was able to make a putt on the front 9 he would have shot net 65 with ease. Speaking of Dave, this was his first time playing Southern Hills and he fired a very impressive 39 on the back, and that's with a 3-putt double bogey on the difficult closing hole.
One thing my group did well was pound the ball down the middle on the long drive hole. In all the events I've played I've never seen four really solid drives end up in the fairway. We were all within about 10 yards of each other with Reid edging out Dave by less than a yard. And speaking of long drive holes, what's the deal with Darren winning twice so far this season? Who the f is letting this happen!?!?
Despite JW's best effort (posting half of the group's 10 double pars), our group scoring averages per hole were way down compared to the first two tournaments. We only had three holes where our group average was more than 1.5 strokes over par. Just so you know how much of a decrease that is, we had a total of 10 holes in the first two events with group averages of 2 or more strokes over par. Given our biggest field in recent memory, 11 league members and 1 non-league player, I was a little surprised to see that we failed to make a single par on the par 4 4th & 6th holes. If I had to guess, the green on the 4th and the tee shot on the 6th are what led to most of those higher scores.
Lastly, one of the stats I keep track of for the league is every one's individual scoring average on the par 3s, 4s, and 5s. See the charts below for where you stand at this point in the season for each category. Keep in mind that Dave, Ben, and Bito have only played in one event and everyone else has played in three.
| Player | Par 3s |
| Faz | 3.58 |
| Ben | 3.75 |
| Gary | 3.75 |
| Chandler | 3.83 |
| Mike | 3.83 |
| Reid | 3.92 |
| Dave | 4.00 |
| Darren | 4.00 |
| Geoff | 4.08 |
| JW | 4.67 |
| Bito | 4.75 |
| Player | Par 4s |
| Dave | 4.70 |
| Ben | 4.90 |
| Faz | 4.97 |
| Chandler | 5.03 |
| Darren | 5.43 |
| Gary | 5.47 |
| Mike | 5.63 |
| Reid | 5.63 |
| Geoff | 5.70 |
| Bito | 6.10 |
| JW | 6.23 |
| Player | Par 5s |
| Dave | 5.00 |
| Ben | 5.25 |
| Chandler | 5.75 |
| Faz | 6.17 |
| Gary | 6.17 |
| Darren | 6.67 |
| Reid | 6.67 |
| Geoff | 6.83 |
| Bito | 7.25 |
| JW | 7.50 |
| Mike | 7.58 |
Hey man, what's up with the long drive comment? Don't be a hater! Long drive holes should be on narrow fairways to even the playing field.
ReplyDeleteYour handicap is too high and now you want charity on long drive holes as well? What's next, requests for mulligans?
ReplyDeleteMy handicap is what it is because I shoot 105 every fourth or fifth round. I'm not Mr. Consistency.....and yes if you want to throw a mulligan or two my way I'm all for it!
ReplyDeleteDarren needed a few mulligans on the 7th hole...
ReplyDeleteI needed about 3 mulligans on the 18th..lol
ReplyDeleteGlad to read that everyone sucked on and around the greens. It's by far the most difficult part of that course.
ReplyDelete