Monday, February 10, 2014

Geoff Skins Game - Stats & (Un)interesting Facts

As Chandler mentioned, Darren was a tough man to catch on Saturday but it wasn't just because he avoided blow up holes, he also scored very well.  I wasn't in his group but all I have to do is look at his stats to see he must have been hitting it well and making some putts.  He either beat or tied the group scoring average on 10 out of 18 holes and he made great pars on 9 and 16, which are two of the tougher par 5s we face all season.  In fact, he was the only guy to par 9 and it took Chandler draining a long and difficult putt to join him as the only guys to par 16.  All I'm saying is, if Darren's boss gets an anonymous letter telling him/her about all these days where he and some guy whose name rhymes with schmandler are sneaking out and playing in 2-man scramble tournaments at Northdale, it didn't come from me.


Are you feeling butt hurt about those double pars on your scorecard? You're not alone. It only took two events for every player in the league to earn at least one of the dreaded black squares, which tells us a few things. First of all, we're all lucky we still have the "double par max" rule or otherwise some of these scores would be even worse. Secondly, it's pretty obvious that many of us continue to make poor decisions in terms of club and shot choice. I know I'm not alone when I say I can think of several club/shot choices that resulted in blow up holes and potentially cost me a victory or at least a chance of earning more DPT points.  I guess it boils down to deciding which is more fun?  Hitting driver/cutting the corner/flying the bunker/clearing the water...or winning?


Group Stats
1 birdie (Gary on the par 3 5th)
29 pars
11 double pars


 Hole  Average  Par  Difference
 1  7.000  5  2.000
 2  6.125  4  2.125
 3  4.375  3  1.375
 4  6.125  4  2.125
 5  3.875  3  0.875
 6  5.625  4  1.625
 7  5.875  4  1.875
 8  5.375  4  1.375
 9  6.375  5  1.375
 10  4.875  4  0.875
 11  6.625  5  1.625
 12  4.875  4  0.875
 13  5.750  4  1.750
 14  4.750  4  0.750
 15  4.250  3  1.250
 16  7.875  5  2.875
 17  3.625  3  0.625
 18  5.000  4  1.000

10 comments:

  1. 16 was rough to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told JW after his medium length putt on 16 to "save" 9... that avoiding a 10 might cause him to win.

    It actually caused him to get sole 2nd place and earned him an extra 116 points.

    Every stroke counts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually meant to call that out, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fewest strokes possible is ideal?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Faz, playing with Schmandler makes my golf game worse. All his negativity brings me down. Geoff on the other hand makes me play better. I love beating a freaking Cane fan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad I got points, disappointed that I won zero skins. Looking forward to the 22nd.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also, shouldn't the money won and lost even out?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You mean like... overall?

    The league takes a rake most weeks to pay for the trophy engraving and whatnot. All money won, lost and rake even out to $0.

    Last week there was no rake. $80 pool... 8 skins won... evened out to $0.

    You can click on the league finances link on the right side to see how much rake we took each season and what we spent it on.

    ReplyDelete