Sunday, March 23, 2014

Fazioli Match Play Recap

Plantation Palms was as unforgiving as ever on Saturday, with only Geoff posting a net score under par (99 gross). He tried to fall apart on the back nine, but an early birdie and two pars were enough to keep him in red figures.

Reid finished solo second despite opening with a 10 on the easiest par 5 on the course. But how difficult was Plantation Palms? Reid was 6 strokes behind Geoff with a net 74. Seven of the eleven golfers had at least one double-par. EVERYONE had at least one triple bogey or worse. Eight people got a double-bogey or worse on the final hole.

As for the match play:
  • Chandler beat down Darren 4 & 3... but it wasn't due to good play. Of Darren's 8 strokes... only three actually caused him to win a hole. One caused a halve. Three were wasted. And one he didn't need.
  • JW started hot, driving the ball beautifully and striking his irons well. But eventually his putting went to shit and he couldn't chip to save his life. Chunk after chunk... it was painful to watch. Gary escaped 4 & 2.
  • Geoff and Faz had the most crazy match we've ever seen. Geoff took a 4 up lead with the help of a net hole-in-one. He then fell down two through 16 holes (6 point swing?!?). In typical Faz fashion, he didn't play well down the stretch and choked the final two holes to halve the match.
  • After Tall Mike was physically beat in a bar in Knoxville... Irish Dave pounded him some more on the golf course, winning 5 & 4.
  • The match between Dan and Reid was close all day, with Reid winning 2 up thanks to a few blow-up holes in Dan's round.
  • Dan also played a close match against Brendan, beating him 2 & 1 and denying him bonus points. What's crazy, is that Brendan actually used ALL eight of his strokes (6 halves and 2 wins). Super efficient... but a bad result.

The results further clustered the leader board, with 8 people technically able to take over the lead after next week's tournament.

------------------

Speaking of... Lexington Oaks at 10:30am next Saturday. $10 entry fee this time since it's a Major. Comment if you're attending (Brendan, JW, Ben, etc...).

More on this later.

10 comments:

  1. It was more painful to play than watch, I promise you.

    I'm 90% in right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, zero GIR is quite an ignominious feat. I can't believe I couldn't find a green on even those short par 5's. Gross.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to give Faz the victory, but he wouldn't have any of it. His last two holes were ugly and wehalved, because of his shitty play, not my stellar play. I, like JW, chunked at least 5 or 6 chips, but luckily I putted well, to help me win.

    Speaking of painful to watch Tall Mike had a rough day, but we'll blame it on the tiny cartoon birds fluttering around his head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did the individual that punched Tall Mike scream Roll damn Tide during the incident?

    I had a decent round going until hole 8. Decided to hook 2 OB then proceed to make birdie from the tee box. Fuck you golf gods. I took 1 sip of Bud Light that I assume Reid poisoned and my round went to dog shit on a stick.

    Then I could hear Reid and Brendan mumble kill whitey as I received zero gimmies. I guess that's what happens when both your playing partners are against you. I can't wait until I can deny gimmies next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope I'm not in Dan's group.

    Dan I assume you're playing the tips next week (there's only two boxes approved for league play).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can we just forget Saturday???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes I'm always playing tips. I'm a man

    ReplyDelete
  8. A man who wears special mittens when he golfs if the temp drops below 60.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't be jealous of my magic mittens.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My 115 was borderline unbearable. I'm really not sure what the deal was, but a 2.5 week hiatus really can't cause me to play that bad can it? Maybe I'll have to actually have to sue the backwoods bum, not for my out of pocket expenses, but for the money I will lose by not winning the league lol.

    Perhaps my poor play has more to do with the sheer ridiculous amount of alcohol I have had over the past 2 weeks. Another bachelor party this week in Key West will certainly not help, but I am disappointed to miss a major. Good luck to you guys..may the par 4s treat you better than they did me..oh wait, they did..for everyone lol.

    ReplyDelete