Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Gimmie Putts

I've updated the rules to reflect the league stance on gimmie putts:

-------------

12) "Gimmie Putts": there are no official gimmie putts in the league. However, if ALL playing partners of a group agree that a putt is given, then the ball can be picked up. If you do not want to concede a close putt, you should let the group know to avoid any confusion. Use common sense.

-------------

Basically, all players should assume they have to putt everything out. But there are a few grey areas that arise from gimmies. Most people are worried about their own upcoming putts on a green. So if someone says "that's good" and you don't agree... speak up! The person giving the putt might be accidentally infringing on a battle in the standings.

Personally, I immediately say "you need to put that" on every putt I don't want to give. This is fun for me. Not only does it avoid any argument... but it also rattles people like Gorecki (RIP). And rattling your opponents is always a good strategy in golf.

12 comments:

  1. Just know if you're in my group you will be putting them all in order to avoid any confusion in the future.

    I'm curious what you guys think about this scenario. An individual tells you "Good Par" after you lag a putt near the hole. Then you proceed to miss said putt without giving it much effort. Determined by your lack of setup and stance amongst other dead give aways. Once said putt misses the hole all you hear are crickets.

    What then mister rules guy?

    Once again, good luck over those shakey 8" putts my group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, when I say "good par" to someone it's because I've given them the putt. I must say though, once I'm on the green, I'm usually only worried about my own business so when you hit a putt somewhere near the hole and I'm not standing right there, I have no idea how close you are and frankly I don't give a crap. Just throw a marker down and get the f out of my way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Good par" mean take your ball up and get the F out the way. Don't proceed to miss said putt without giving it much effort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "You need to putt that" also rattles our buddy Darren.

    What if it's a sarcastic "Nice par"? Maybe it's gamesmanship? Like how I often tell my opponents how wife the fairway is and hiw hard it would be to hit the ball OB.

    Let's also put the Gorecki Rule in place: you should never ask if your putt is good. It's called a "gimme" as in "give me" so it has to be GIVEN. Otherwise it's rape. If you have to ask, just assume you need to take the head cover off of your putter and get to work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When someone putts for par... and the ball is still rolling to the hole... I like to say "nice bogey."

    That doesn't mean I'm going to give it to them. Darren usually slams those 5 feet past.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm inventing the "takiee". It means fuck y'all let me grab my par so you can struggle for your triple.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chandler and Geoff....F you! I drain all those Pitts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My triple is technically as good as your par.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why are gimmies just for putts? I'd like a couple gimmie chips or gimmie drives. Unlike a mulligan, where you'd rehit, the gimmie drive would just allow you to drop your ball in the middle of the fairway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sadly, I bet our scores wouldn't even change that much if we started 150 out in the middle of the fairway.

    ReplyDelete