True to the tournament name, most of us were exhausted and feeling crappy this morning. Except for JW who took an hour nap at the bar. Instead of ending the party at 1am, he kept it going throughout the golf tournament with his awesome cart fanny pack of beer.
JW was in the zone, shooting a net 67 (94 gross) and improving 10 strokes from the front to the back. His string of pars on holes 10-13 is also quite impressive considering he only had 4 pars in the first three tournaments.
Irish Dave went 41-39, barely missing out on a really low round... shooting net 68 for second place. Chandler rounded out the top 3 with a net 69.
There were a couple of casualties though. Gary struggled off and on throughout the day to shoot a brutal gross 94. And Mike woke up right before our tee time, DQing himself from the tournament (although he did rush over and join on the 4th hole). And nobody really knows what happened to Ben. Hopefully he's still alive.
---------------------------
The next tournament is in three weeks (March 22nd). It's the Fazioli Match Play, and currently a staggering 7 people can take the season lead.
Comment if you're going to play. As people sign up, I'll update the pairing list.
I'm in for my own event. As in previous seasons, the winner will receive a Masters coozie. Don't let me defend my title and awkwardly give myself a prize again.
ReplyDeleteThe more you win it, the longer you can stretch out the promise of a Masters coozie as a prize!
ReplyDeleteThis is true. I only have two left that I'm willing to part with. If only we all knew someone that could have brought people to Augusta National next month...
ReplyDeleteI'll be tuning up the game for a run at that coozie in my first match play event. Hopefully I didn't use up all my good golf on that one back 9. How are the pairings decided? Relative to handicaps?
ReplyDeleteThe format for the Fazioli Match Play is kind of similar to the Chandler Classic in that there's really two events going on at the same time. The typical points/money distribution is still determined by everyone's net score. The winners of the individual matches going on during the event get an additional 100 points tacked on to whatever they earn that day. If you win your match and the event, you'll get 600 points total.
ReplyDeleteThe matches are determined by current standings. If everyone plays, you'll play Gary (3 vs 4) and be in a foursome with Chandler and Darren (1 vs 2). It gets a little crazy if an odd number of people play but we've dealt with it in the past and it works out fine.
Also, the matches are handicapped. If we had played this past weekend, Gary would have given you a stroke on the 13 hardest holes.
ReplyDelete80% handicaps for the match play portion (100% for the stroke play).
ReplyDeleteSo last week Gary would have given JW 11 strokes for the match play portion.
Based on a quick glance, I think JW would have won 2 UP.
I meant to talk to you about the 80% handicaps. I believe we did that because that's how the Cactus Cup historically did it but this year they reverted back to 100% handicaps for the matches. I can ask my cousin what the root of that decision was and we can make our own decision based off whatever he tells me.
ReplyDeleteYeah, Faz and I have discussed this a ton. And I read up on some history of the issue.
ReplyDeleteHandicaps for match play have been 75%, 85%, 96%, suggested 107%, and probably a few other combinations over the years with the USGA and R&A.
We've used 80% twice. The reason for this is because high handicappers shoot 26 over par because they blow up on a few holes (aka: The Darren Special). Not because they evenly spread out bogeys and doubles.
How about we raise it up to 85%?
I'm pretty sure most of the matches were fair at the 80%. I don't see any reason to mess with it at this point.
ReplyDeleteMaybe 90%
ReplyDeleteOne other thing:
ReplyDelete- Each player must hang out with E-Flo the previous night.
Was E-Flo at Islands? If not, I think I was the only player that actually hung out with him the day prior to the tournament. So, not only was I at the original bar at 9, and stayed at the audibled bar in varying states of consciousness, until 1, but I also followed rule 3 better than everyone else.
Dub, the true champion. The hangover is my milieu.
90% is too large of an adjustment when 80% seems to work.
ReplyDeleteI'm still ok with 85% if anyone else wants to weigh in. 83.3%?
I need to revise those stale rules about eflo. He's as dead to this league as Gorecki is.
ole Buffalo went missing. check your flesh...
ReplyDeleteIf it doesn't screw up the match play pairings I can play the Faz open.
ReplyDeleteIt won't screw it up. I'll put you in. Wild Card Dan!
ReplyDelete80% seemed right, if I remember correctly.
ReplyDeleteWell let's do some real analysis based on the small sample we have.
ReplyDeleteThere have been 7 matches in league history.
The low handicap has won 4 of them. So that's as close to 50% as you can get... so no problem there.
But how many times did someone win a match, but finish lower in the standings? Zero times.
It's ok if that happens since match play is obviously a different animal. But the fact that it hasn't happened tells me 80% is fine.
Real analysis or Chandler analysis? I'm good with 80% either way.
ReplyDeleteIf we had used 100% in the past, all the matches would have resulted in the same winner. So we got that going for us to.
ReplyDeleteI'm moving it to 85% just to be safe, after reading the history of matchplay handicapping.
I think I have recovered from my hangover, but I'm still not sure scotch when I got home was a good idea..I played the opposite of however you want to interpret "sub-par" at The Eagles Sunday after our round..so I basically validated my poor play earlier that day at the hollow. Chandler I'll text you my score card. I'm in for any attempt to obtain a Master's koozie from Faz next time!
ReplyDelete