Monday, March 3, 2014

Hangover Invitational - Stats and (Un)interesting Facts

Well, well, well...let's take a quick look at what happened at the Hangover Invitational.  The guy who was allegedly drinking all day (pics or it didn't happen) and who decided to take a little tiger snooze at the bar goes out and shoots one of the best rounds of his life.  And who came in second after a rather impressive 80?  An Irish guy who was being a little "charitable" with the shots and drinking cider on the rocks all night.  It looks like the Pres (Chandler) and VP (me, sorry Geoff!) will need to discuss some more rigid guidelines for next season's event.

But I digress, let's check out some high/low lights.

I'm not sure if it was the country tunes coming from his cart or the steveweisers on ice in that incredible fanny pack but JW totally flipped a switch at the turn.  He peeled off 4 pars in a row and avoided major blow ups to shoot 42 on the back and lock up his first career DPT victory.  Congrats JW, it was fun watching you hit it so well.  Imagine how much you would have won by if you didn't make 7 on all of the par 5s.  Sorry...I thought the blog got a little too positive there for a second.

Dave played really well again (made 3 on all the par 3s) and as of right now is clearly the most consistent player in the league.  Granted, he's only played in 2 events, but I think it's pretty cool that he's played 36 holes without a triple bogey or worse.

Speaking of consistency, I'm not sure I've ever personally witnessed someone improve as steadily as Darren has in the relatively short period of time I've known him.  He was one hole away from playing 3 full events in a row without making a double par!  Instead, his streak of 59 holes without one ended on the 18th with a very costly and difficult to watch clinic on how not to play bunker shots.

I'd love to see our group scores at Quail Hollow if we played without major hangovers because even through the sour stomachs and splitting headaches we managed to post our lowest group scores of the season.  With only 7 league players we were able to make 2 birdies and 47 pars and just 4 double pars.  If you look back to the first event at Heritage Harbor, 8 league players made 3 birdies, only 31 pars and a downright hellacious 15 double pars.

The group scoring averages for each hole are listed below.  Not surprisingly, most of us made a mess of the 18th hole. 

Hole Average Par Difference
 1  5.286  4  1.286
 2  5.000  4  1.000
 3  4.571  3  1.571
 4  5.857  5  0.857
 5  5.571  4  1.571
 6  5.000  4  1.000
 7  5.143  4  1.143
 8  3.714  3  0.714
 9  5.857  5  0.857
 10  4.571  4  0.571
 11  4.571  4  0.571
 12  4.714  4  0.714
 13  3.429  3  0.429
 14  5.714  5  0.714
 15  5.571  4  1.571
 16  3.571  3  0.571
 17  4.714  4  0.714
 18  7.143  5  2.143

3 comments:

  1. Right after posting this I realized both Chandler and I have also played the last 36 holes without a triple bogey or worse so...that's cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though it's a small sample size... I think we can definitively say JW just plays better in those conditions. Crazy turnaround.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Budweisers and great American music make my irons work better.

    I was looking through my stats for that round, and where I typically average 2 pars a round, I shot 6, and where I average 6 triple+ bogeys per round, I only had 2. So, that's at least 12 strokes off the score right there.

    I flirted with OB only twice, and on one of those a tree was nice enough to knock my ball down only 200 yards out, and the other was assisted by some standing water on a very recoverable par 5. I had a 9' putt for a sandy on one of those par 5'a, too.

    Glad I now kind of know how playing good golf feels. I'd like to do that more often.

    ReplyDelete