Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Match Play Preview

I hope everyone is excited to get back out there and compete after having the last two weeks off. I'm glad Brendan was able to establish an official index and get into the running for points and cash. Also, it'll be fun having Dan back in the mix. I just wish I could be there to witness the emasculation of Reid and Brendan when Dan hits it past them from the tips.

Since I'm a classy guy, unlike Chandler, Geoff & Reid, I like to give out a prize to the winner of my event. This season, just like the last two seasons, the winner of the stroke play portion will receive a Masters coozie just like the one pictured below.















I decided to take a look back at the first four events and see what would have happened if they were all match play format between the players who are playing each other on Saturday. Due to everybody not playing in all the events I was only able to look at the matches between Chandler & Darren, JW &. Gary, Faz & Geoff, and one between Dave & Mike. I used 80% of what everyone's index was at the time of the event to keep it consistent with how we're doing it on Saturday. Take what you will from all this...

Chandler vs. Darren
Week 1 @ Heritage Harbor: Chandler never trailed and won "4&3".
Week 2 @ Northdale: Darren never trailed and won "4&3" (what a difference a week makes).
Week 3 @ Southern Hills: A much closer match but Chandler never trailed, had Darren dormie with 1 to play, and ultimately won "2 Up".
Week 4 @ Quail Hollow: Looks like Darren was more hungover than usual and got pounded "5&4".

JW vs. Gary (Crazy 8s Match)
Week 1 @ Heritage Harbor: Back and forth match on the front 9 but Gary pulled away on the back and won "3&2". My favorite part of this match is that JW won a hole with a 10...yikes!
Week 2 @ Northdale: Another back and forth match. JW was up 2 with 5 to play but Gary fought back to take a 1 hole lead going into 18. They ultimately "halved" the match when JW won the finshing hole.
Week 3 @ Southern Hills: I like JW so it pains me to write this but Gary won the match "8&6". No commentary necessary...
Week 4 @ Quail Hollow: JW was down 3 at the turn but pulled out a "2 Up" victory. The power of country music and the golf cart fanny pack!

Faz vs. Geoff
Week 1 @ Heritage Harbor: Geoff had me down for the majority of this match but lost 17 and 18, allowing me to take a "2 Up" victory.
Week 2 @ Northdale: Geoff won the 1st hole, I won the 2nd, and then it was halves galore until I was able to get up 3 with 4 to play.  I nearly pulled a Faz and choked it away with Geoff winning 15 & 16 but was able to hold him off for a "2 Up" victory after halving 17 and winning 18.
Week 3 @ Southern Hills: It was close all day but Geoff never trailed and beat me "2&1"
Week 4 @ Quail Hollow: Another close back and forth battle that ended with me winning "2 Up".
In all 4 of these events, neither Geoff nor I was ever up by more than 3 holes.  Hopefully Saturday is another close one.  Geoff can't possibly lose when he's getting 13 dots can he?

Dave & Mike
Week 3 @ Southern Hills: Mike, Mike, Mike...we need to work on your back 9 scoring.  Mike was beating Dave by 4 at the turn but lost holes 10, 11, 13, 16, 17, and 18 to lose "1 Up".  Dave never led the match until winning the 18th hole...and he won that with a double bogey, ouch!  I'm serious about Mike needing to work on his back 9 scoring.  He is averaging 54 on the back 9, compared to 48 on the front.  Eat a Clif bar at the turn or something!

9 comments:

  1. Just wanted to make sure you were reading...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Awesome.

    And I'm pretty sure Faz, Reid and I were already emasculated by a 12 year old at Plantation Palms last week. Kid shot 82 in 30pmh wind. I won't even post what we shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew we should have made a pact to take that to the grave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hungover more than normal? That's when I play my best golf!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, southern hills was a blowup day. I couldn't even make consistent contact and when I did strike the ball well it seemed to find trouble anyway. I'm pretty concerned that on my best day I would only have won 2 up. Smart money is heavy on Gary this week.

    It looks like I'm going to have to work the morning of the 29th, so my attendance will depend on tee time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least I was equally bad on the front and back at Plantation Palms! 57-58..still not sure I could have done anything to better that score other than not play!

    ReplyDelete