Monday, April 28, 2014

Jamaican Open - Stats and (Un)interesting Facts

After finishing my worst round of the season it was nice to hear that a few of you had an enjoyable experience out there.  I can't wait to see what happens next week now that it's basically the Geoff and Reid show, with a hint of Chandler thrown in the mix. 


Geoff's front-9 44 was not only tied for lowest 9-hole total of the day but it was his lowest since last season's Hangover Invitational where he shot a back-9 43.  He may have faltered on the par-3s with his worst scoring performance of the season (+9), but his victory was secured by posting the lowest par-4 scoring average of the day.  He was +8 on the par-4s, which is a 6-shot improvement from his previous best this season at the much easier Quail Hollow.  Last thing about Geoff; Everyone be sure to congratulate him the next time you see him.  Because he's about to be a dad for the 2nd time?  Sure, I guess.  But more importantly because he finally made his first par on a par 5 this season!


Group Scoring Stats
Category Result Difference
Easiest Hole  Par 4 18th  0.900
Toughest Hole  Par 4 12th  2.200
Easiest Par 3  15  1.100
Toughest Par 3  17  2.100
Easiest Par 4  18  0.900
Toughest Par 4  12  2.200
Easiest Par 5  3  1.000
Toughest Par 5  11  1.900
Par 3 Average  4.475  1.475
Par 4 Average  5.380  1.380
Par 5 Average  6.450  1.450
Birdies  5  
Pars  41  
Double Pars  17  

Of those 17 double pars, 8 came on the par-3s, leading to our worst par-3 scoring performance of the season.

A few other interesting things that happened yesterday...
  • Dave didn't par any par-4s (though he did birdie one of them)
  • Chandler didn't par any par-5s for the first time all season
  • JW had an incredible 11 shot swing (in the wrong direction) from his front to back-9
  • Gary made three 5s and a 6 on the par 3s, very odd for him
  • Best Par-3 Performance: Chandler/Faz 3.75
  • Best Par-4 Performance: Geoff 4.8
  • Best Par-5 Performance: Reid 5.75

4 comments:

  1. Was Geoff's 44 tied for best gross 9 all day? That's pretty crazy. Second highest handicap had the best 9-hole score, and the highest handicap tied for 2nd best score.

    Also, that 11-stroke swing is what some might call regression to the mean. I had what I consider a pretty good round, and my handicap still went up. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Reid had a back-9 44 and the next best score by anyone was a 45. I was giving Geoff 16 shots yesterday and we shot the same gross score...no bueno! Or bueno if you're Geoff I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Copperhead is going to be a disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those par 3s ate my lunch! I still left some good strokes our there on the front 9... and hopefully one day, I'll figure out the back nine at that course.

    But if Reid gets his short game figured out, we're all in big trouble.

    ReplyDelete