Monday, June 16, 2014

DPT Open - Stats & (Un)interesting Facts

Another major played at Southern Hills and another victory for Darren...blah blah blah.

Darren posted an impressive net score of 6 under by doing exactly what he needed to do.  He made bogey 12 times, threw in 2 pars and limited his damage to just 4 doubles.  I'm tired and still angry about my round so I didn't look but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the first time where two consecutive DPT events were won with a net score of 6 under.

Dave continued his solid play by posting the lowest front and back nine scores (40/44) of the day.  He'd win a lot more tournaments if he sandbagged his handicap in the off season like the rest of us.

It wasn't exactly rare that we only made 3 birdies as a group but what is rare is the fact that they all came on par 3s.  Both Dave's and Mike's, on the difficult 3rd and 17th holes respectively, are very impressive.

Other than those few highlights, everything else was pretty sad.  Not a single person made par on the 14th or 18th holes and only one person made par on 4, 12, and 16.  Dan, who is clearly a masochist, was the only guy to make par on the 4th hole.  In case you already forgot, he played from the tips, which means that hole was playing more than 60 yards longer for him.  Right about now would be a good time for the rest of us to hang our heads in shame.

As a group we were +143 on the par 4s and +74 on the par 5s.  For comparison, last week we were +108 on the 4s and +43 on the 5s.


Best & Worst Individual Scoring Performances
Par 3s - Mike/Dave (+1) & Brendan (+7)
Par 4s - Gary (+8) & Geoff (+16)
Par 5s - Dave (+1) & Chris G. (+13)


 Category  Result  Difference
 Easiest Hole  Par 3 8th  0.500
 Toughest Hole  Par 5 16th  2.083
 Easiest Par 3  8  0.500
 Toughest Par 3  17  1.417
 Easiest Par 4  6/15  0.833
 Toughest Par 4  14  1.833
 Easiest Par 5  5  1.167
 Toughest Par 5  16  2.083
 Par 3 Average  4.021  1.021
 Par 4 Average  5.192  1.192
 Par 5 Average  6.542  1.542
 Birdies  3  
 Pars  43  
 Double Pars  8  

10 comments:

  1. I'll be erasing that day from memory other than a few pars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't have made 18 holes if I tried that in those conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Horrible. That wasn't fun at all and I assume next week won't be either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saturday is going to be awesome. With multiple people buying pitchers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to throat punch the idea of cart path only at Southern Hills in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The next time I'm that hung over and someone suggests cart path only I'm going to forcefully vomit all over them..then defecate on the whichever guy at the club house is trying to enforce the rule.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Says the guy who came in 2nd, made an unlikely birdie and holed out from 40 yards for par. Cart path only should be your new favorite style of play.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was thinking the same thing. Mike may have struggled on the inside... but he didn't on the outside.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Faz...where's the love? Who made the 3rd birdie?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry Gary! I've seen so few birdies on 3 and 17 that I forgot to mention yours. Or maybe I was bitter that I 3-putt the 8th to lose my greenie.

    ReplyDelete