For years we've been talking about doing a "Ryder Cup" style event for the league. An overnight trip with two teams battling it out in various formats. It's time we make this happen.
There's a lot to work out (captains, prizes, etc...) but I'm pretty sure I'm sold on World Woods. We would play two rounds on Saturday, stay in a villa, and then play one round Sunday morning. Cost is currently estimated at $150 for the entire weekend.
Two teams of six would play the following formats: 1) two-man scramble 2) best ball 3) match play.
But first we need 12 people to sign up. If you're interested, make a comment and tell me if September 27th & 28th work for you. There's no Gator game... FSU is on the road... Miami plays the powerhouse Duke... the Rays are in Cleveland... the Bucs are in Pittsburgh and will probably be 0-3...
Basically the only thing going on that weekend is the actual Ryder Cup in the middle of the night. We might even still be awake for it.
So... comment if you're interested.
Very interested.
ReplyDeleteGolf Game Book has a new red vs. blue mode that supports all three proposed formats.
ReplyDeleteThings to consider:
- Name of the event
- Winning team gets: money? dinner? trophy?
- How do we choose captains? And should we draft teams at a bar one night (yes, yes we should).
I'm a maybe. That's my bday weekend. I definitely like the bar draft idea. The two captains should be the two league members who have been in the league the longest.
ReplyDeleteHow else would you rather spend your birthday?
ReplyDeleteI'm not a single guy like you......
ReplyDeleteSince we won't have permanent teams or captains, I think we should have a prize instead of a trophy. We could order some logo hats (let's not use the high-five dudes) and have half of them embroidered with "2014 Champion" or something of the sort. Or champion shirts, or golf towels. Losers could foot the bill for the hats. They'd be $20 a pop or so. Or we could all put $20 in on it and winning team gets that money. Not as much fun, but easier to execute.
ReplyDeleteI'm always interested in things like this! Captains and a draft would be fun. Maybe tier off handicaps. Captains draft through each tier to make sure handicaps get spread out evenly. 1st and 2nd in league standings for captains maybe?
ReplyDeleteCaptains should be close in skill level. But since every event is handicapped (more on this later... USGA has some interesting suggestions on it), it doesn't really matter how the players are divided.
ReplyDeleteI'd like the captains to have total control over pairings and whatnot. Maybe they'll feel some guys play better together.
We could also do some fun things at the draft. Draft sheets with stats for the captains. First pick has to buy last pick a drink. We could even figure out pairings for the events immediately after the draft. It'd get pretty rowdy... which would be awesome.
In! This would be fun and we'e been talking about doing it forever!
ReplyDeleteAnd someone tell Darren he's not 12 and no one cares about his birthday. We can buy him a smash cake and a tiara if need be.
Turning 53 is a big deal though...
ReplyDeleteinterested. but yes, gonna depend on the weekend. Darren you can have that weekend as the following is reserved for my bday. also known as gorectoberfest, this once month-long month celebration carried over multiple cities and destinations. now id be so lucky to be presented a smash cake and tiara. get working on it Geoff!
ReplyDeleteI'd be in for this.
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of drafting teams at a bar with various stat sheets at the ready.
For captains, we could always put it to a vote with the top two vote getters being the captains.
I like the idea of setting the two "Day 1" matches beforehand but having been a part of many of these types of events, it's always great to set singles matches in a drunken stupor the night before "Day 2". It's fun watching people call out others in a haze of liquid courage and immediately regretting it when they get floored the next day.
Voting might be too much of a mess. But we can explore a few options.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad Brie will never allow Gorecki to attend/ruin this event.
I would pay a lot of money (entry fee) if the first Ryder Cup could be the "Chanamericans" vs the "Goreckipeans"!
ReplyDeleteI see what you did there.
ReplyDeleteI was thinking Team America vs. Team USA. But if Gary means he'd pay MY entry fee then I'd be willing to try and push this Chandler vs. Gorecki idea.
ReplyDeleteWe need 12 guys to sign up for this. That'll be hard to do if you have a 50% chance of playing for Gorecki. I hear his team uniform involves capri pants.
ReplyDeleteI think the top two people in the Official Golf Rankings at the end of the season should be captains.
I'll sign up for this, and then quit if I'm on Gorecki's team. Unless I get to play with him and then I'll just talk about his score the entire round because it was fun watching him get so upset when Chandler would do it.
ReplyDelete53? You have more gray hair than I do.
ReplyDeleteGonna start at list of those who are IN. So if you haven't specifically said so... please do.
ReplyDeleteGeoff, when is your kid due? Mid-October?
Same for Reid... when is Mocha scheduled to be born?
And Brendan's wedding? I assume September 27th doesn't interfere with it?
I'm officially in. It's in the wife's calendar. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm in.
ReplyDeleteSounds great, I am in
ReplyDeleteI still think the captains for the inaugural event should be the two league members who've played the most events. That's Chandler and Geoff.
ReplyDeleteI'm fine with that.
ReplyDeleteBut if we legitimize the Golf Rankings (like MLB did with the All Star game)... it would be Faz and Reid as captains.
So next year everyone would know that top 2 are captains after the summer season (obviously they can just decline it if they want).
Me vs. Geoff can start it off though.
I think it should be the Baseball Caps vs. Golf Caps/Kangol Hats like the DPT logo.
ReplyDeleteAre you implying Reid should be Samuel Jackson?
ReplyDeleteI wasn't, but now I am.
ReplyDeleteIn! (And the wide is aware so save your jokes) but again decide on a date quickly as calendar in the fall books up quickly.
ReplyDeleteAnd thank you all for the vote of confidence as captain. I feel as much support as I did with that hole 2' gimmie putt post.
Should be a good time. Set a date asap!
9/27 & 28. It's in the post.
ReplyDeleteI'm in...
ReplyDeleteMy kid will be born Oct 24, so a month later shouldn't be a problem. Why don't we just name Chandler and Faz as captains, because after all of the discussion and trying to decided how to choose, that's where we're going to end up anyway. Let's move on to picking teams and prizes!
ReplyDeleteYou know Gorecki can't read.
ReplyDelete