Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Faz Match Play Info - PLEASE READ BEFORE SUNDAY

The match play event can be a little confusing so we wanted to inform/remind everyone of how it all works.

The most important thing to remember is that the match play portion is a game within a game and is just a chance to earn extra points (100 for a win, 50 each for a halve).  This is still a regular stroke play event where we use 100% of every player's handicap index with the money and points distributions working the same as all the other events.  This means your top priority should be to make the lowest possible score on each and every hole regardless of how your individual match opponent is playing.

The individual matches are set up based on the current points standings...1 plays 2, 3 plays 4, etc.  We use 80% of every player's handicap index to determine the number of strokes given for each match.  If there are 10 strokes being given, this means the player with the higher handicap gets one stroke on each of the 10 toughest holes based on the course's hole by hole handicapping.  The main difference between our match play and a typical match play event is that you can not concede a hole.  In other words, every player must hole-out on every hole and record their score because it matters for the stroke play portion.

The matches and strokes are published on the scorecard page .  You will be riding in the same cart as your opponent so please take note in advance of who you are playing so that we're not a complete disaster on the first tee.  In case you're too lazy to click the link, I've listed the matches below.

Group 1
Dave vs John, John gets 8 strokes
Reid vs Geoff, Geoff gets 5 strokes (I'd pay money to watch this match)

Group 2
Faz vs Mike, Mike gets 10 strokes
Gary vs Brendan, Brendan gets 9 strokes

Group 3
Chandler vs JW, JW gets 13 strokes
Guest vs Gorecki, Gorecki gets 3 strokes

As Chandler mentioned in a previous post, it is imperative that all 12 committed players show up because we were given a group rate by the course.  If less than 12 show up, then all other players will end up paying a little more for their round.  Don't be the guy who causes everyone to pay more than expected.

Lastly, as is always the case with the Fazioli Match Play event, the winner of the overall stroke play portion will receive a Masters coozie.  Why?  Because I'm one classy SOB, that's why.  Looking forward to seeing everyone on Sunday.  Don't hesitate to ask us any questions about how this whole thing works.

15 comments:

  1. First tee time is 9am at Lexington Oaks. There is a convenient Courses tab that has the course info and you can also find course info on the scorecard page. I recommend every player getting there by 845 at the very latest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good ol' Lexington..Chris, I'm going to need you to blow up on at least 5 holes for me to have a chance against you..that or I would need to shoot below a 92 for the first time ever.

    Too bad too...that Master's koozie is the best prize in golf..I'd even prefer it over that green jacket they keep on giving out. Unless they built in neoprene pockets into that bad boy..then we'd be talking! But they are idiots and never think of these things so maybe I can just try to get Faz drunk so he'll play poorly?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot we were playing Lexington Oaks. I would need about 20 more strokes to be competitive in this one. I suck at Lexington Oaks. Not that I'm particularly good on any course, but I couldn't even scramble for a par on the front nine at the rained out DPT Open or Masters in the spring. Congrats on your 100 points, Chandler.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha JW is getting a pretty sizable 13 strokes. Considering I'll shoot 92... he just needs to shoot 104.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike - I went back to last season's event at Lexington Oaks and went through hole by hole as if we were playing match play with the amount of strokes you'll be getting on Sunday and we halved the match. You also beat me in the stroke play portion by 4 strokes and placed 3rd while I placed 6th.

    JW - At Brooksville CC, if it was match play, you would have crushed Chandler 3&2. Let's get those confidence levels up a little eh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I forgot it was match play..ha..I was thinking that last time we played there you self proclaimed your round as "terrible" with an 86 while I had a "great" 96 lol. And with the way you've been playing lately..figured I'd need more than 10 strokes.

    But my plan to get you drink might still be a good strategy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha yea the reason it was a terrible 86 was because I was +2 on the front and +12 on the back. No bueno

    ReplyDelete
  8. What's up with this laying down shit JW? Drink a few creamdogs and man up! If Chandler keeps trying the good ole flop shot on all his chips, you may beat him straight up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Faz vs. Mike is going to be a good match. Since Mike kinda needs to shut Faz down or this season is going to be over sooner than later. Let's hope Mike doesn't choke under pressure like the Netherlands does in penalty kicks.

    Reid and Geoff might be a good match, but I see Reid winning 3&2.

    Unfortunately... I'm stuck watching Gorecki attempt to foreclose Guest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Faz, it being my actual birthday today, it occurred to me that you haven't done a "Know the Dudes You're Playing With" feature since April 1. When's the next installment? That had potential.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good call. Any requests? Maybe a DPT tour rookie?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahh the damn Dutch...screwed me over from getting to watch a much more entertaining final..what a shame.

    ReplyDelete