| The Blue Team. Prior to derailment. |
Saturday morning we played four-ball, with Euro Trash taking two of the three contests. Match 2 and 3 went all the way to the 18th hole, so there was at least some drama at the end. But the Blue Team definitely had the momentum going into round two. In contrast, the Red Team had Tall Mike who was a shanking disaster.
Reluctantly I was talked into allowing modified alternate shot for our second round. Despite an hour monsoon delay, we were able to finish after sunset (PGA Championship style). Dan once again stomped all over Gary's team, easily winning 5&4 and earning Blue their 3rd point of the day. But Gorecki's old man game neutralized Faz, allowing the Communists to pull within one. The only remaining match was Darren/Ben vs. Dave/JW, and that went all the way to 18. Dave made a knee-knocking 2 foot putt to win the match and tie the overall score 3-3.
| JW putting for par on 18 in round two. |
| Finishing in the dark. |
Faz and I hammered out the singles pairings on Saturday night, which was our last obligation as captains. On paper, there were some great match-ups along with some that we both felt were gimmies. But golf is the most unforgiving sport in the world, and any handicapped match is almost impossible to predict.
- Dan played lights out once again, pounding Dave 5&4 while shooting a gross 73.
- Gorecki got off to an incredible start, leading Geoff 2up after four holes until his inner-thigh rash engulfed his body. He only won one hole the rest of the day and lost 4&3.
- JW battled Darren in the hangover match, which was probably the most exciting of the day. Apparently JW's putter was red hot and he drained a birdie on the 16th hole to win 3&2.
- Chandler vs. Brendan was the next match to conclude. Brendan struggled around the greens for most of the day, allowing Chandler to win 4 holes in a row to close out 5&3. At this point, the Communist Red Team had secured at least a tie.
- All weekend long Tall Mike was highly criticized for his terrible play, unusual practice methods, head-scratching knuckle grip, and non-doctor prescribed concoction of muscle relaxants and whiskey. Actually, it was just Chandler complaining. But Tall Mike shut up his critic with an excellent performance, carding one birdie, three pars and five bogeys in 16 holes to win 4&2.
- Despite the Red Team winning the Ryder Cup, Faz and Gary finished out their match. Faz clawed his way back by winning 4 out of 5 holes to square the contest through 16. But on the final hole with everything still all square, Faz put his tee shot in the water giving Gary his first point of the weekend.
| 2014 DPT Ryder Cup Champions. |
View the official Ryder Cup scorecard.
------------------------------------------------
Thanks again to everyone who made it down for the weekend. I had a blast and look forward to the 2015 contest. We will use our "Official Golf Rankings" to determine captains AND eligibility (top 12 guys get first dibs) so play well and play often.
I'll be scheduling off-season outings on this blog so keep checking in if you're interested in playing. Next season will start at the end of January or early February.
Great weekend... Looking forward to next year. I'm glad we talked you into the alternate shot game; though, I'm sure it was frustrating at times for the lower handicappers, I thought it was a fun change of pace game.
ReplyDeleteIt was frustrating trying to get some of you to understand the concept. Haha.
ReplyDeleteBut yeah, having it makes it more like the actual Ryder Cup. So hopefully people were paying attention to what combinations of players worked. Next years captains will have their hands full!
Great event and I didn't mind the alternate shot format. Thought it made it more of a team event.
ReplyDeleteI liked the alternate shot format too. We should keep it for future years.
ReplyDeleteThe format is here to stay. I'll admit you drunken idiots were right in requesting it.
ReplyDeleteMOBRULE4LIFE
ReplyDeleteGreat weekend. I was pretty glad to have made it all the way through all 36 holes on Saturday. Before we went out there I thought for sure I'd have passed out drunk between rounds.
Darren, happy bday yesterday, and tell your wife I'm sorry for giving you those night terrors.
Did Darren get charged extra for wetting th bed?
ReplyDeleteThanks JW. And my wife got a good laugh out of the night terrors...
ReplyDelete