Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Eaglebrooke Preview

We are all set to play Eaglebrooke next weekend, Sunday, June 28th at 10am. Cost will be $30 cash... so make sure you actually bring dollar bills! Everyone's round has been pre-paid by three league members.

Darren and I went out to play a scouting round today, and it's in phenomenal shape. Fairways are lush, rough is thick, greens are smooth, fast and have some crazy undulations. We played it from the white tees, which at 6,316 (128 slope) would be the longest course in league history. Personally I didn't have any issues... but the track is extremely difficult with a lot of forced carries. Not to mention a ton of water and OB lining most fairways.

Long story short... there's too many BIPSIC holes out there for our high handicaps. And I'd much rather err on people shooting lower scores than making this "US Open" caliber.

Short story even shorter... I'm afraid Gorecki won't be able to shoot under 115.

So we're taking Jack Nicklaus' advice and teeing it forward to the "old man" gold tees. It plays an even 6,000 (124 slope), which is in line with our other tournaments. It's still a very challenging layout, and the long guys can pound driver on most of the holes (if they choose). Dan is also being pushed up one box to the blues, but that's because his handicap is the same there as it is the tips. It's time for him to stop hemorrhaging money and to actually compete in these events.

Tomorrow I'm going to do a write-up previewing each match. Try not to let the suspense kill you.

6 comments:

  1. I appreciate your concern for my Dad. He'll second the motion on teeing it forward, but I wouldn't refer to 6000 yd white tee boxes as "old man tees".

    ReplyDelete
  2. 6000 is golds. Totally an old man color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suspense is killing me.

    Let's play the whites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I over-promised when I set that deadline. But I do have most of my expert analysis ready to go. Maybe I'll get it published on Friday.

    I'm personally fine with the whites, but we need to make sure it's not a disaster for the higher handicaps. Especially in a match-play format. One of my biggest golf pet peeves are courses with huge gaps between tee yardage. I'm not sure I want to pull the trigger just yet allowing multiple tees for the field (outside of Dan).

    The golds at Eaglebrooke my be short on some holes, but it won't be like Buffalo Creek where you can spray the ball and still score.

    We're hopefully playing Fox Hollow for the next event. Their gap between whites and golds is even larger... with the whites playing a daunting 6,400+. Since it's a Major, we'll suck it up and play the longer distance. Those events are supposed to be difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bunch of pansy's dropping your handicaps while playing grandma tees. I agree it is getting old knowing I have to shoot 72 or less to win.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's why you're moving up to the young lady tees while we are on the grandma ones.

    ReplyDelete