Monday, April 4, 2016

Hangover Invitational - Spring 2016 Recap

Mailing this one in because I'm still kinda hungover.

Darren brought out the bags of sand today... finishing his round as the only player under par (net). Tall Mike takes the lead in the DPT Cup standings with a solo 2nd. Seven guys are officially eliminated from contention for the Cup.

---------------------------------

The bar was pretty fun. Good to see a lot of WAGs and friends joined us for the nonsense. There's been a lot of feedback about what to do with guys that, for whatever reason, can't make the bar. Should they still be allowed to play with a handicap penalty? In the past we've strictly forbidden it... but life does sometimes get in the way of a good party.

A couple of people just want the event to be removed... but just as many said they like getting everyone together for a night, and it's nice to get the WAGs involved since they're the ones who really suffer during the season while we're golfing. I mean... who's going to buy their brunch?!?

Handicap penalties could work... but they do kinda mess up the historical accuracy of our data. The easiest thing is to say, as Geoff says: "rules is rules." Show up to the bar if you want to play for money and points.

Regardless... the spirit of the event is to be our "season party." And while I don't necessarily like forcing people to attend... given the chance to not show up can easily be taken advantage (ie: Gorecki last season).

So if you have any comments on the matter... let them be known.

---------------------------------

Anyway... it's Masters week! We're playing Countrway at 9am on Sunday. Masters party at Gary's house afterward. I reserved 16 spots since we'll probably have a few guests. I know Buchert is OUT. Troy is IN. Anyone else... let me know now.

11 comments:

  1. I'm in.

    As far as the bar situation goes, I enjoy going and hanging out with everyone (and the WAGs) off the course. No one likes being hungover but it's a fun tradition that I don't think should be broken. I'm with Geoff on this one in that rules are rules and I think that if you don't show up to the bar then you don't play for points. If you want to do a handicap for those people that do want to still play then take 10 strokes off their handicap maybe - it would need to be a fairly extreme number since playing hungover can easily cause a person to shoot 10 strokes worse - just look at Buchert's 98 yesterday or Geoff's day...so when you consider how they did maybe 10 strokes isn't enough.

    At least this would afford anyone who has a legitimate reason for not attending the bar a shot - I mainly don't want to give any advantage to someone who doesn't want to go to the bar but still play for points.

    All this said, I would rather preserve the integrity of our data, don't change anything, come to the bar and have fun with your friends, drink some tasty beverages, and most of all - don't be a pussy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not that my attendance in the league or at the bar warrants much of a position for me to speak here. However, it's a good event and solid rules. Keep it....unless said non bar attendee wants to do some patron shots (more than 2)on the 1st tee followed by a round of dizzy driver.

    Rules is rules damn it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha excellent analysis so far. Thanks for weighing in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have to keep it. It's one of the truly unique parts of our league. I love explaining to people how and why we do this to ourselves! Rules is definitely Rules.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can just stop buying mind erasers if y'all are going to be that big of pusses about it :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well so far all those that want to put their name on their thoughts also want to keep drinking your mind erasers... :)

    Maybe we'll hear from that vocal minority soon...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always good with an excuse to drink.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can we make it more of a day booze? I like day boozing.

    I'd also kind of like a boozing checklist. Did you take a fireball? Mind eraser? How many beers did you drink? I think a minimum number of those things would be good. maybe if you drink 10 more than the minimum you get a bonus handicap stroke the next day. That would encourage massive drunkenness for one stroke that wouldn't affect historical accuracy. Maybe we each get a scorecard and have to have that filled in by the bartender in order to compete the next day. Or maybe a pub crawl kind of thing where each bar has a certain drink you have to take. I can help organize the summer one if doing so will get some of these boozing ideas through.

    If you can't make the event the night before, you can't play for points. A handicap penalty for money is fine for me, but the cup can't be decided by people who don't drink.

    Also, out this week. I'll be on a plane home from New Orleans.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds complicated.

    Points and money are tied together though. We're also going to eventually have people who "can't" drink. Like when Darren's liver fails. In which case... showing up and hanging out all night should probably count. No need to penalize Darren even further.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Didn't Jess keep score one year at the bar?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes I did - and it wasn't even at all. I also took down comments made throughout the night...this was the night you threw up in the urinal...not sure you want me to share those :)

    ReplyDelete