Sunday, January 1, 2017

Spring 2017 - Week 1 Preview

The new season is finally here! Football is winding down and all of your shitty teams are eliminated from competition. That means it's time for winter golf: crappy course conditions, higher prices, endless club throwing. What a great time to be alive!

I got a text the other day from Tall Mike stating that it would be fun to have a league event at a difficult course, to see a wide range of positive net scores. He was referring specifically to Westchase... but I kinda feel like most of the courses we play beat us up. Only 4 courses in league history have an average (and median) net score under par. That leaves 33 courses with par or worse average net!

Anyway, he's getting his wish on Sunday. Fifteen people have stated they are IN for Week 1, so we have 4 groups at 9:40am at Hernando Oaks. One spot remains for any undecideds or guests. And we got a great group rate of $25.

I played a scouting round there today to see the conditions. They're... frustrating. The greens are soft, medium paced, and overall pretty great. The rough isn't thick and the ball will sit up mostly. But the fairways are dormant / dry / hard / dead? It is Scotland-esque with how far the ball will roll on those fairways, and how tight the lies are. There are going to be a ton of pitchers bought this weekend. In our practice round, we were +5, +10, +10, and +20 for a total of 4 hypothetical pitchers!

Seriously... when it comes to the fairways... just remember these conditions are normal in MANY places of the world. We aren't used to them... but it isn't really unfair.

Also, be sure to get there early enough to pay your entry fee ($10) and check in. Don't roll up at 9:35am.

------------------------

Local Rule Change:
For this event only, you may pick up your ball from a bunker, rake the sand, and then place it back down. They've put sugar sand in the greenside traps, and the good people of Brooksville apparently don't like using rakes. I'll remind everyone on Sunday of this rule change.

------------------------

Projections:
Katie is going to smoke the field with her 33 handicap. She'll keep the ball in play off the tee and get a ton of roll from the fast fairways. Everyone will struggle around the greens so that will eliminate any advantage the low handicappers usually have. Gorecki will argue in the clubhouse that she only deserves 87% of the payout because she's a woman.

Dave will finish DFL with at least 2 triple bogeys. JW holds a firm grip on the basement spot, but pars the final hole to finish 2nd to last. Six pitchers will be bought.

I'm going to randomize the groups tomorrow and post them on the blog. See you all Sunday.

4 comments:

  1. I think we should take one crack at Wentworth as a league. The scores would be ridiculously high.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True. I'll book that the week I'm out of town!! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should be about 48 degrees at tee time this Sunday. That will add an element of hatred and tighten old man Goreckie's joints. Don't worry though, I have a cream for that too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorecki bailed today... Which cements the "Gorecki Rule." More on that later

    ReplyDelete