Monday, February 6, 2017

Gorecki Memorial Recap / JW Hangover Update

Gorecki Memorial Recap

Well a league record in overall attendance and tying record of league member participation was witnessed on Sunday. So was it the course selection that drew such a high turnout or the excitement/desire to become a Gorecki Memorial Champion? Hmm

The morning started out with a surprise unveiling of a tournament champion trophy along with introductions of each player at the first tee including references of those past champions.

For a course that everyone associates with being "too easy". Stats (credit Chan and Faz) prove otherwise:
- Of the 16 league participants, only 4 members finished the day scoring under par (net).
- There were more double pars scored (18) than birdies (12) on Sunday.
- Hole #14 is the 4th hardest Par 4 played among all of the league courses we've visited*. Only a single birdie (Faz) and two pars (Dave & Chandler) were recorded by the entire group on Sunday.
   *played more than 36 times by league members  
- Only one league member entered the pitcher zone. No additional commentary needed.


Other highlights include:
- Everyone but one non league member made it across the pond on the 97 yard Hole #1 and others (Reid) made sure their ball cleared the hazard (and the green and the adjacent fairway).
- Our first league hole-in-one was (thought to have been) witnessed on Hole 16 lasered at 87 yards by Dictator Chandler Brown. Peasant Mike Gorecki screamed in jubilation and as the two celebrated, outsider Brian Litman (while on his cell phone off the tee box) looked at us confused on why we were so excited. Only by Litman's angle could you see the ball settled directly behind the flag stick. Gary almost received a new nickname of Nostradamus Reincarnate as he made the the prophecy of an ace possibly happening on this day.
- Speaking of prophecy's. Chandler had the inclination to pre-post a rule about OB on hole #13. I know of at least one league member whose ball entered this OB territory and with the rule modification saved him from recording a double par. Sooo thanks I guess?
- For the first time in Gorecki Memorial history, there was a tie for First Place between Troy "I tweaked my swing"  and Dave "I wear denim to golf" at -3. The two were both so anxious to take home the Championship Trophy it was settled that Troy will enjoy it now through Master's Sunday (4/9) and Dave will inherit the hardware from then until the next Gorecki Memorial event (mostly likely scheduled for 6/4)

So congrats to the new champions who get to add their name to the record books of this always eventful and "memorial" event....

Spring 2017 Champions
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JW Hangover Update

This week's tournament stop finds us at the JW Hangover Invitational. Westchaser's rejoice as the league has picked Tampa Bay Brewing Company in your neighborhood! Well sort of as even though this establishment claims a westchase (tampa?) address, they're across the street from the OLDSMAR flea market. We have a large elevated table reserved in the main bar area starting at 7pm so those that want to come for dinner can arrive then. FYI there's also an outdoor beer fest happening that evening on their property so they'll probably be directing you where to park but head in to the restaurant NOT the fest.

Then on Sunday we have 4ea foursome tee times set for Rogers Park starting at 9:30 am. Rate is $34pp and they're offering a discount rate for range balls for $2.50 for those looking to to work off that hangover. The course is pretty much wide open and forgiving and with a slope of 108 this will be the "easiest" course the league has ever played. That should help balance out the gauntlet of tougher courses we've played earlier this season.

Please RSVP for Saturday evening and include your WAG's so I can complete the reservation with the restaurant. Thanks and see ya then!

10 comments:

  1. 108 slope? Get out of here. Stop trying to keep me out of the champions dinner!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle and I will be there Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be trying to get there after the Knight Parade in Ybor. I'm gonna be pretty toasty by then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lower slope helps you I think, Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But what about the handicap tracker post?

    ReplyDelete
  6. My thinking is that the harder the course the higher the net scores will be, If someone shoots a - 10 net I have no chance but I can win at -2 or -3. I think the wind at southern hills proved that

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only thing you have no chance at... is going to the moon.

    But personally, I think Rogers Park is a lot more difficult than a 108 slope. Even at 5,900 yards (par 71 so about 6,050 adjusted). So the high handicaps will lose one or two strokes, and still probably shoot around even.

    Time will tell. But any handicap speculation is wasted when Gorecki, for some reason, won't post a "Handicap Tracker" update. HOW DO I KNOW WHERE I STAND?!?!? WHY DID HE STOP POSTING THEM?!? WHY IS HE DELETING MY COMMENTS?!? What a Communist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you insinuating that mike was only posting the handicap tracker when his was getting lower and now that it's gone up 2 strokes that he doesn't want to post anything? Surely no one in the league could do such a sinister thing.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be there sat, not sure about Jess yet

    ReplyDelete