Sunday, April 16, 2017

The Rapture - Leftovers

When "The Rapture" happens, a majority of people will be left on the Earth to wait for "the great tribulation"... which could be really awful or kinda anti-climatic, depending on which preacher you listen to. Either way, it's not ideal and you're much better off being selected to ascend to Heaven.

I'm told there's a good show on HBO about this called "The Leftovers" (91% on Rotten Tomatoes seems promising). I haven't watched it yet, but this year our golf league will have our first batch of Leftovers.

With Faz officially out, as many as three league members will NOT qualify for The Rapture. As the league expands to our target number, this will be a regular occurrence. It's also a good thing, since qualifying should be an accomplishment we all strive for.

The Leftovers have a choice of skipping the weekend, or attending anyway and playing in the first group out each round. I encourage anyone who doesn't qualify (myself included) to attend. It'll still be fun and we get to play some great courses. We should also bring up anyone who is interested in joining the league full time, assuming there's an open spot.

That being said, let's rank those who are in danger of becoming a Leftover. Remember, rankings lock after the 3rd event of the upcoming season.

No Chance in Hell - People who will definitely qualify:

Katie - If she scores zero points in the next three events, she's all but guaranteed to still be a captain. Sorry, Gorecki. There will be a girl in charge. #thisiswhytheymarch

Dave / John - The other captain spot will more than likely be one of these guys.

Gary / Gorecki / Buchert - All three have a mathematical chance to be a captain... but they'd have to win two, if not all the events. Regardless, they'll be at The Rapture.

Tall Mike / Troy - They're in no matter how they play. No chance at captain, though.

Getting Warmer - People who are fairly safe:

Darren / Geoff - Mathematically possible for them to put up a bunch of zeros and not qualify. It would also take the guys behind them to play well.

On the Hot Seat - The Leftovers will probably be three guys from this group:

Anthony - He needs to play in two of the next three events to even qualify. Assuming that happens, he should be in the top 12. Of course, he also could be ranked last after week 3.

Reid / Chandler - Both desperately need a win, or at least a bunch of top 4 finishes to remain in The Rapture. Poor play will probably ruin it for one of these old veterans.

Brendan / JW  - Brendan is in a slightly better spot, but it's not looking good. JW's terrible Spring season, along with his 175 world ranking points dropping off in the next three events might be too much to overcome. Either way, both need a victory.

Summer season starts up in 14 days, down in Bradenton (course TBD). So get some practice in the next two weeks! And if you don't qualify for The Rapture, definitely consider going anyway. Once rankings lock I'll immediately need to start collecting payment from those attending.

12 comments:

  1. If I don't qualify, then I probably won't take that vacation day. That said, I would probably drive up Saturday morning or late Friday night and play the rest of the weekend. Hopefully I just get a win and bump one of the other bubble folks. It would be pretty good revenge to bump Reid from the Rapture this year after his comeback against me after the rain last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The leftovers show isn't very good. I watched the first season and assumed it got cancelled. For that reason, I will not be part of the leftovers for the Rapture. I don't want people thinking I was in some way affiliated with sub-par television offerings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. J.W it's possible that you will bump someone just not me, BTW I am out week 1, the best time for you to make your move.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reid never lacks confidence.

    Watched the first episode last night, and I already have a lot of problems with the show.

    Hopefully Brendan will at least golf with me that weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the show. Final season started up last night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see what Chandler is trying to do here. Just like his golf game where he talks himself down ("here comes a three putt", "oh here comes my double bogey") he is allegedly assuming he won't make the rapture cut.
    So for those "on the hot seat", its best to counter this strategy of his by gasp COMPLIMENTING his game and ENCOURAGING him with positive comments.
    So those members believe in you chandler! Even with that 4/15 handicap update of another 1.2 strokes added to your index (2.6 now since 1/1) you should be able to play well enough and use those extra strokes to climb back up those leaderboard standings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would kind of like to see Chandler not make it so that he can ride around, deliver cold beers, talk trash about everyone's golf games, and assess penalty strokes for obscure Rule Violations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd be calling in rules violations on Gorecki well after the round is completed. That way he gets an extra 2 strokes for signing an incorrect scorecard.

    That being said, I feel bad for Dave/John's team since they'll be stuck with him. #lastpick

    ReplyDelete
  9. Come on faz sign up, 16 would be great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's not really about my desire to go. I have a ton of shit going on around then and very likely won't be in town that weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No, I heard it's because you hate everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The two are not mutually exclusive.

    ReplyDelete