Monday, August 14, 2017

Summer 2017 Season Handicaps

With another great season in the books, I thought it would be nice to put things in perspective and see who's improving and who's regressing - especially going into The Rapture.

Now that Chandler has posted Rapture handicap and stroke info, below will show how each players' handicap has changed from the beginning of this season to the end - with the 'Last Change' showing the latest handicap adjustment differential (8/1 - 8/15).

The Kitty Kats surely have a bold strategy going into the Rapture, dropping 5 stokes since 8/1.  Not a single player increased their handicap in that time. Looks like they prefer to go in hot rather than sandbag.

Although the Garyatrics have a hard time remembering the good ol' days when they used to light cats' tails on fire* just for fun, they sure haven't forgotten the cardinal rule of Rapture prep - don't lower your handicap right before the event!  As a team, they are +0.6 since 8/1. Whether intentional or not, we'll see if this kind of protectionism works out for them.

On the season, both teams dropped their handicaps by about 8 strokes!  With a league per person average of -0.9.  The number of people on each team increasing vs. decreasing their handicap, along with the sizes of those handicap changes, were relatively even between the two teams as well.  Should make for a good matchup.  

Be careful interpreting this as a who's hot, who's not, because while there is some validity to it (if you're shooting lower, you're getting better), the real question will be: can those that lowered their handicap keep up their high level of play?  And, of course, you should consider many of our 'better players' with lower handicaps will tend to be more consistent and therefore have less variance in their play and as a result, their handicaps.

Regardless, props to JW, Tall Mike, Chandler, Big John, Katie, Robbie, Reid, and Casey for dropping their handicaps between 2 and 5 strokes!  The average for those who lowered their handicaps was -2.8, while those who increased theirs, did so only by +0.8...okay, well +1.1 if you include Gorecki's +3.4 outlier.  Nice job to everyone as a whole, keep up the improvement - that is the goal anyway!

Oh...someone else also lowered theirs by -0.4 for the season..but I've been staring at this list for so long the names are beginning to blur together.  I'm sure I'll find it soon.


Summer 2017 Handicap Performance


*Disclaimer: DPT Golf league does not condone animal cruelty - Human cruelty in the form of constant berating, badgering, and ridicule of and by its members via commentary on this blog is condoned, if not encouraged.

14 comments:

  1. One day my handicap will drop. That day is not today...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff, Moosite. We need more voices doing some analysis.

    Also good to see each team collectively dropping 8 points. Going to make future seasons more fun when we're all under 20 index.

    ReplyDelete
  3. just noticing that two of my three matches are against the second most improved golfer of the season by handicap. Sunday is gonna be an interesting match. Katie's team could have been coming in really hot had she made the wise move and taken me over Darren.

    ReplyDelete
  4. J.W your handicap improved by 5 strokes while mine only by 2. I guess we're both sitting in the black kettle. Can I request J.W to deliver the trophy to me. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would be awkward for him to drop off the trophy at the Champions Dinner... only to turn around and immediately go home...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Casey, I was legitimately terrible at the beginning of this season. There's a difference between always being terrible and improving and sandbagging. I'm going to turn in a lot of high scores this offseason so I have a chance to win next season. It's gonna be great. I'm gonna buy so many good pitchers next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the enthusiasm J.W. I'd like to post high scores but unfortunately Web doesn't let me play without him so I'm stuck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Honestly, my only goal is a win so I have a chance to qualify for the rapture next year. It's pretty demoralizing to improve and move down the rankings. Once the sandbaggers (Katie and Casey) get their handicaps normalized, other folks will have a chance again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of hostility from Dub. Once again, talk to BIG JOHN about why you were not chosen for our team. And I am not a sandbagger...using your words "I was legit terrible when I first started and I'm getting better" sorry you choose to play outside of league events therefore lowering your handicap too fast and I don't. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hostility stemming solely from envy of tournament wins. I'm glad that my handicap lowered because I played decent at awesome Scotland courses instead of playing Babe, Wedtchase, or average Orlando courses.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is Katie trying to blame her draft choice on Big John? Isn't she the captain? That's so low energy of her. Sad!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Clearly her hands aren't hairy enough to carry the burden of responsibility for her draft choices.

    ReplyDelete