In professional golf, the "Bounce Back" statistic shows the percent of time a player is over par on a hole, and then under par on the following hole. Can you shake off bogeys?
It's also completely useless for 99% of the world's golfers. You don't make enough birdies, mainly because you play too far back.
I've always said we have "bounce back doubles." After you make a birdie, you're probably going to blow up on the next hole. Let's quantify this theory...
I've taken the data from our 2017 seasons (18 events), and divided us into three groups:
Bird Watchers - Those of us who make at least one birdie every couple of rounds, and have enough data to make an assumption.
Ornithophobics - Those who are afraid of birds. Their bounce back performance is meaningless since the sample size is too small.
N00bs - Three kids we picked up off the street, and didn't play in both seasons.
Your "Average Bounce" is the average gross score to par that you made on the hole following a birdie. If, by some rare chance, you birdied the final hole... I gave you a follow-up "par."
But the true test is the "% of Doubles Plus." Since we are every day hackers, you should at least expect a bogey on the following hole. But double bogeys and worse? Those are bad, mmmmmmmkay.
Greg had two birdies last season, and made a double bogey on the following hole both times. Faz did it six of nine possible times (once was a triple bogey). Speaking of... nobody made a quad or worse following a birdie in 2017, but there were 5 triples: Dave twice and Chandler, Buchert, Faz once.

My takeaway: Dave should find a league with better golfers.
ReplyDeleteNot sure if I should intentionally miss the birdie putt for a par? It's a bold strategy and an even better excuse for being a shitty putter.
ReplyDeleteI just hope that the next time you make a birdie, your playing partners remember this post and start chanting "DOUBLE! DOUBLE!" as you stand over your tee shot on the following hole.
ReplyDeleteI prefer to look at my birdies as a proactive measure against my inevitable doubles. I’d shoot 81 if I averaged +1 every 2 holes. That’ll win me some events.
ReplyDeleteInteresting stat... The most useful part will be reminding people how shitty their next hole will be in their birdie refractory period.
ReplyDeleteTotally useless info...how about a year in review of everyone's best scoring round...#givemehope
ReplyDeleteI have all of the year-end stats and I’ll post them soon. I thought I already did but my senior editor (JW) informed me that I’ve been slacking big time on my duties.
ReplyDeleteAlso, Gary, you’re in luck. I track everyone’s low round per season, as well as career low, so I’ll post that info as well.
I'll be content with more content.
ReplyDelete