Monday, January 22, 2018

The Classic - Spring 2018 Recap

Beautiful day out on the course to start the new season. All 18 "active" members attended, the most in league history. Tarpon Woods was a nice change of pace, and yielded a couple of good rounds while beating up the rest of us (as promised).

Short and straight hitters like Darren fared well early on, until a hiccup on 13 and 14 left an opening for Faz. Despite not always being the most accurate driver of the golf ball, Faz hit some amazing tee balls (with all sorts of clubs) and played the final seven holes at -1 (gross). It was a clinic that was fun to witness.

Katie did Katie things to finish 3rd, and Big John continues his golf-rehab with a decent 4th place showing.

For the most part, bombers struggled with the tighter fairways. I still contend the course looked more narrow than it actually was, and many people would drastically improve on their score the next time through. We'll probably wait until next Spring to return, as we shift more south near Bradenton in the Summer.

----------------------

We're off this weekend for Gasparilla. See you in two weeks at a location TBD.

10 comments:

  1. Almost a quarter of the field bought pitchers. Had the service at Beefs been decent it could have been a party in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing that course first would have been advantageous. If only there was a way to get a practice round in the weekend before we play a new course... Hey Chandler, on a completely unrelated note, what course are you playing this weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha nowhere. But next course will probably be Lexington Oaks or maybe Temple Terrace. They don’t seem to want us though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buchert has a valid point here. Pretty sure every time I’ve played (0 Times recently). I’ll hit a tee shot. Then Chandler will comment, “that’s dead I played here yesterday.”

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's totally valid about last week. I had just scouted the course and was so excited to bring the league to a "new" place, nobody had time to see for themselves. But just about everywhere else we play, we've all seen a bunch of times.

    I am working on some other "new" places, but management isn't cooperating (Temple Terrace & University Club).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dan's comment is dead. I played here yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually played Lexington Oaks two weekends ago, so I can pass along some course knowledge. If you can hit the ball about 260 yards off the tee with a gentle fade, you will score very well. Also, hole 17 is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And I can't hit a gentle fade. Sounds like we'll both probably finish in the middle of the pack.

    ReplyDelete