Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Board of Directors - Nominations

Alright, I've put this off long enough. We're going to elect the remaining Board of Directors per our By-Laws, to help run the league and give me people to blame.

Each Board position runs through the end of odd number years... so 2019 with the next election held before the Spring 2020 season.

The main purpose of the Board is to serve as the Handicap Committee, approve new members for league vote, handle membership issues, and debate/vote on any league rule changes during the Annual Meeting each winter off-season.

As Chairman, I expect anyone who nominates themselves to be willing to actively negotiate group rates, learn (in detail) how handicaps work, and to unselfishly consider policies.

Examples of how NOT to govern can be seen in these paraphrased statements said to me over the past 7 years:

"I'm up at 5am every day, so we should play at 8am. Too bad for anyone else who has a social life and doesn't get up early."

"We should only play courses that are $70+. If you can't afford that then you shouldn't be golfing."

"I'm an alcoholic, and everyone should be required to do 30 shots each night like I do. If you can't drink, even for health reasons, then you should be kicked out of the league."

"We should set a minimum handicap requirement, which would kick out Gorecki."

"I don't like this course because I suck at golf and can't hit a 30 yard wide fairway. We should ban it!"

"Mike sounds like a slow player name. Everyone named Mike should be in the last group at all times. Hauch plays really fast but he's just gonna have to be collateral damage. Blame his parents for giving him a slow golfers name."

All those statements above do not adhere to our Club's second purpose in Article 2.

I've attempted to make it difficult for Board members to cause too much damage, but I'm fully aware it's human nature to selfishly fuck up good things if given enough time. Keep this in mind when you eventually vote for league leadership.

-----------------

Comment if you want to nominate yourself and you have at least 20 league rounds. So far we got Gary and Faz nominated. If we get less then 5 there won't be a vote. Let's set the nomination deadline for March 21st.

26 comments:

  1. lol at slow golfer's name. Let that be a lesson to you future parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll nominate Geoff if he'll pay Gorecki the $10.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's gotta nominate himself. And pay that $10. Preferably in quarters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first 3 statements are directly from Web. I’ll have to throw my hat in the ring to bring balance to the force.

    ReplyDelete
  5. John struggles to get to early tee times for someone who is up at 5am every day...

    That gives us four nominees so far: Gary, Faz, John, Casey.

    If anyone else nominates themselves we'll be heading to a vote. Which is exciting. Kinda.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll throw my name in to make it a vote. Interest: raised.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nah, the first 2 statements were Big John and the third JW haha. I don't want just one person not getting the vote in so I'll add my name to the list. Just want to make sure we stick with the no participation trophies rule of thumb.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The 4th one was about 14 of our 18 members...

    ReplyDelete
  9. My platform will be speed of play. 13 minute shot clocks drive to hole out on each hole or you take max score.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! Yeah, sure it was. Casey might be on to something here..I will also encourage side beers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like Moosite won’t be voting for Casey...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Out of curiosity...would the new board have the power to prevent tournaments from being scheduled 1.5 hours away the day after st. Patrick's day so that a couple of people can attend a golf tournament after?

    Asking for a friend

    ReplyDelete
  13. I said it was for a friend...I'm fine with it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know. My responses to you were hyperbole, which I'm a big fan of.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I’m gonna second John’s nomination to the board! I like where his head is at with that comment. Thanks friend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So... John (and others) want mandatory attendance and binge drinking once a season for the Hangover Invitational. But a 9:30am tee time in Orlando where you have an hour car ride to sober up is too hardcore?

    I remember my first beer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Will this be your first ever election in this country?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorecki has officially nominated himself. That gives us: Gary, Faz, John, Casey, JW, Moosite, Geoff, Gorecki.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So are we going full transparency and voting live on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think bar attendance should be required... getting hammered or taking shots up to you. I think that if you are just sitting at home not attending the bar because you're too lazy to come out should have a punishment associated.

    ReplyDelete
  21. John just lost Casey's vote. You going to make exceptions for anyone out of town and flying in like Buchert did that one year? Making exceptions is the sign of terrible policy.

    And no, 100% anonymous voting for the Board... and for new members when that time comes. More details about voting will be sent out next week. After today we're locked in with candidates.

    However, everything the Board votes on down the road (like John pushing mandatory bar attendance), will be transparent.

    ReplyDelete