Sunday, March 4, 2018

Spring 2018 - Match Play Recap

Absolutely beautiful day out on the course. And a brutal one on the scorecard. We had a possible record 6 pitchers purchased, and were only strokes away from 10 of them!

Katie once again stomped the field, with an impressive 93 (gross). She almost had two hole-in-ones, and one of those was on the 164 yard par 3 7th, which she then chipped in from off the green with a putter to card a net 0! And while you might not think 164 yards, uphill, to a back pin is worth mentioning... for her that was a flushed 5-wood. Did you use a 5-wood from our 190 yard tees? No? Relativity matters!

Anyway, last time she played Renaissance she shot 9 strokes worse from 425 yards shorter, so needless to say it's still her world and we're just golfing in it (she will be under a 20 handicap soon).

The Baron is back, as DB notched yet another 2nd place finish. He now has a commanding lead despite zero victories. It's insane that he made nine pars on the day and still lost by two strokes.

The rest of you sucked, with +2 (net) earning solo 3rd.

----------------------------

Lots of grumblings in the clubhouse after the round. The course is difficult, but you shouldn't be afraid of it. It's not unfair by any means (outside of the 10th hole), and the greens/fairways are firm and fast which is very rare in our area. Renaissance is the 15th most difficult course in our history, and only the 8th most difficult of those courses we've played more than once. It shouldn't be a staple, but at $40 it should definitely not be banned (ie: Hernando Oaks, Plantation Palms). Plus the old ladies running the place love us.

Next time we go down there I'll get us on Scepter, which is vastly easier and more forgiving.

----------------------------

Few shout outs:

Dave finished 8 spots below MikeHo (9 net strokes) and yet completely destroyed him 5&4 in the Match Play. Mind boggling.

John probably isn't walking straight after the 8&9 ass whipping Darren gave him. And that was only the third worst beat down in league Match Play history!

Katie and Buchert both won their matches despite making double par on the first hole. Yes, no range sucks.

Tall Mike and Reid still need to learn how to use a cart properly (Mike was driving). Drop people off... go to your ball... let them walk to you or go pick them up when you're done.

----------------------------

I'm going to attempt to book in Orlando for our next event. Everything this time of year is very expensive, so I'm trying to keep it $80 or less. It's a Major so it's OK that we pay a little more than usual. If you have ???s for your availability, I will count you as OUT. So update your sheet!

16 comments:

  1. Shout out to Faz for perfectly predicting my match against Casey. It was pretty ugly to watch as several holes were indeed settled right off the tee box with shanked drives, OB, multiple water hazards, and even a fallen tree’s root structure forcing an unplayable lie penalty. Net double played on 3 different holes (2 wins and a half) and I had a gross double win a hole, but Casey had already picked up for 10.

    Speaking of max scores, I had to pick up for 8 on one on 11, and got a natural 8 and 10 on consecutive holes. New color, please. Not the best day to be working out the kinks on a new driver, but I did win the long drive. Couple hundred more of those and the driver paid for itself.

    Some of those holes seem to cause claustrophobia. Landing areas guarded by water on one side and woods you can’t play from on the other. I’d be ok not going back there, in no small part due to lack of cart girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many double pars yesterday on that tournament scorecard. Brendan v Buchert must have been pretty tough to watch, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally forgot to ask if you had the new clubs. Your score aside, how'd you hit them when you swung correctly?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only the driver. And it was great when I connected. Outdrove Casey for long drive and a few other holes. It’s set to draw, and I ended up pulling a lot and topping a couple. Need to hit the range and get a putting lesson. So many mid-20’s differentials lately. Need to get back to the teens in March 18.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Out driving Casey is impressive. On 17 he hit a ball past me, while I was standing over my 3rd shot...

    ReplyDelete
  6. He was aiming for you. It was probably his best drive of the day. He also went in the water on the long drive, but on 14 we both hit decent ones and mine ended up getting the roll out to pass his. Speaking of drives, Gorecki had a few really good ones out there, too. And he smoked his drive on 18... into a small tree branch that he broke off while the ball lazily fell into the water.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah last few rounds he’s bombed a few with some decent height on them. There’s ability in him somewhere. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That course sucks. No driving range, the speed of the greens was very inconsistent, the grain on the greens effected putts much more than any other decent course I've played in some time, the short Par 4's are all risk with no reward, every approach shot feels the same, etc., etc.

    I do like hole 12 though - the Par 3 over water. That is the one hole on the course that is memorable in a good way.

    Just my 2 cents. I wouldn't mind if we never play there again.


    ReplyDelete
  9. Katie is too good. I can't beat her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually like playing there. The course is a little tough, but it's still fun. I do recall it being in a little better shape in the past, but I don't think this is bad at all for $40.

    ReplyDelete
  11. March 18th I'm flying to Vegas for work. I booked the latest flight available at 5:15pm in hopes of playing golf that morning with you fellas, but didn't know we'd be in Orlando. Might still be doable if we don't have a late tee time, but if we get started kind of late then you may have to count me out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can you change your flight to Orlando?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been striking out with courses so far... don't change anything yet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Toooootttaaallllyyyyy agree with Buchert about the greens....i left a few out there ;) Darren is more consistent than me

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haven't changed anything yet. Also, dispite the discomfort I was in on Sunday with my back I managed to have a decent round. I was kind of shocked my back didn't go out on me on the course...that relief was short lived when yesterday I was just walking and I felt that same spot that was bothering me slide right out of place.

    #ChiropractorToday4pm.

    ReplyDelete