Day 1
It was "blowout day" in the Four-Ball format. The four losing teams only won two holes per match on average. The Reid/Casey loss was probably most surprising, as JW and Geoff really played well together, leaving their opponents stunned after the round. With Blue's only point, Faz/Brendan dominated the course, making multiple gross-birdies and winning with the largest margin (6&5). Brendan would have shot -8 net on the day... so maybe he's primed for a DPT Cup run in Spring 2019.
It sounds like everyone loved El Campeon. A fair layout with great elevation changes and visually pleasing old-Florida golf holes. I wish it wasn't so far away.
| Pink. |
Day 2
Blue gets revenge winning 3 of the 4 points, mostly due to late round Pink collapses:
- Adam/Geoff blew a Dormie-3 lead to tie Ho/Brendan.
- Chandler/Danny blue a 2-up with 3 to play lead to tie Darren/Gorecki.
- Moostie/JW had a 2-up lead through 13 before losing the next 4 holes and ultimately losing the match.
- Dave/Katie decided to do the losing early and often, digging a 4-down hole and never climbing out of it.
The Rapture was tied 4-4 after Day 2.
Reviews of Las Colinas was that it's a decent course, with some really inconsistent holes. Clearly it was completely re-designed, mixing new holes with old ones, sprawled out to maximize housing. Not something worth driving across the state for... but a nice course nonetheless.
| Blue. |
Winner take all, and basically every match was tight.
- Darren won 4 of the final 7 holes to tie Adam, who had the lead for most of the match. I found out today that Gorecki entered wrong scores for this match, but Darren got the historical record squared away.
- Dave struggled with OMG for the first 1/3rd of the match, finally wearing him out and winning on the 17th hole... which took 30+ minutes for them to complete.
- Reid finally took some deep breaths and calmed down on the back nine, playing some outstanding golf to beat Katie on the 17th hole.
- Chandler three-putted the 18th hole to make double bogey and tie Faz, who nearly spontaneously combusted on the 17th hole in anger. Not quite JW at the New Course... but pretty close.
- The new Zen-JW had a very enjoyable day, beating wallet-less Brendan on 17.
- Gary destroyed Tall Mike 5&4, allegedly because Tall Mike's putting was terrible. Gary remembers nothing of this match, nor JW's victory.
- Geoff fell apart on the 18th, chunking back-to-back approach shots to lose his match with Ho. However, Geoff shot a career low 88... and Ho, realizing this round wasn't going to count for his handicap, let go of his sandbags to shoot in the high 70s.
- Danny actually held his own for awhile against Casey, taking his match to the 16th hole before finally surrendering.
| Blue Wins. |
My take on Bella Collina remains the same: the course is mostly good (way better than what we have in Tampa), but the facilities outshine it. I'm glad you all got to see it.
Clermont
The houses were decent... definitely the way to go on these trips. Pretty sure everyone had fun sitting around, gambling, and talking shit. We got a solid group of guys, and one fun female, so hopefully everyone thinks we're getting a good value.
I say this every year... but in 2019 we're finally going to have a couple of people fail to qualify. Be sure to play as much as possible in the next 12 league events to give yourself the best chance. I've got a few ideas for next year's location, but my goal is to always keep it under $300 ($180 was the cheapest and $331 was the most expensive) for golf and lodging.
| Pink Stinks. |
Picks Results (1pt per Correct Pick; Max of 16)
Chandler - 9
Geoff - 7
Tall Mike - 7
JW - 6
Casey - 5
Board Meeting Items
I've added a couple of things to the Winter Board Meeting docket, where we actually vote on changing league rules:
- Gorecki is now basically making "grass angels" on the green to read putts... whispering to the blades of grass "Is this putt good?".... to which the grass (probably) replies: "If you wait, they will give it." He's also damaging the greens with his Ichabod Crane knees. Expect this to be outlawed by a local Club rule ASAP.
- Despite us agreeing in the pool on Saturday evening that "coaching" was allowed, Reid was really miffed at me telling Katie she was stroking on a hole... all while the entire rest of the league was reading putts and helping with strategy. I guess we now need to officially rule on what can and can't be said to someone during stroke and match play. Comment your opinion if you want your voice to be heard on the subject.
------------------------------
We now enter the most important phase of our Club... the off-season. For any Club to be successful, you need breaks to remind your family of your existence. Augusta National is closed for over 4 months in the summer. We have so much in common with them!
We'll do a couple of exhibition matches. Perhaps the 2-man moving tees event, with the letter jacket bar night. Maybe a 3-club or 6-club challenge again. If you have any suggestions, let me know.
After the Winter Meeting, I'll update everyone on any changes to the 2019 rules.
Great year everyone... and even better Rapture!
i honestly don't care what help is given on or off the green. At the end the day, that person still has to make the putt or shot. Pro's get Caddies that help them with reads and shot selection, and while we are not pro's, why can't our teammates be considered a caddie as well?
ReplyDeletea 3 club challenge would be amazing, maybe a 4 on 4 scramble event would be nice as well. And a red tee, or a "just the tip" challenge.
It was a great rapture, thank you for doing all of the work and setting this up for us!
Great job team Blue, and congrats on the personal best Geoff!
For the record, Gary's win over Moostie had more to do with him being 3 over gross after 13 holes...#wellplayed!
ReplyDeleteAll tips and help should be allowed, we need it! That said it shouldn’t slow down play, we are too slow as is so I would say use our judgement...hmmm but that’s also questionable.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, the rapture was phenomenal, great courses, accommodation, company, really enjoyed all of it. Thanks for organizing it brown, your the man.
I had a blast, and not just because I played well all weekend despite what Gary thought about my round. In fact, I did the math and I’d have been 1-up against Gary through 14, which is when I stopped paying attention to his scores because he was done after closing out Moostie.
ReplyDeleteI appreciate teamwork in team events, and I think it’s good to talk about who is stroking on which holes. Gary and Moostie thought their round was over on 14 until they both saw that Mike was stroking when they got back to the cart. It was closed out on the next hole mostly thanks to Tall Mike’s double chip followed up with a thin chip shot to the back of the green.
I still say 9 at BC is a stupid hole, but overall I enjoyed the challenge of the course. I got to hit a lot of different clubs in the fairways from a lot of different angles. I had some terrible lies when I hit near bunkers, but still had some options to hit recovery shots. When the course doesn’t kill slightly errant shots (like it did on the approach to the 8th green and anywhere on 9) and allows for recovery shots, it’s a fun course.
El Campeón was a blast. I hope I end up playing there some more in the future. Las Colinas I don’t think I need to see anymore.
I think that tee to green a team member should be allowed to help...especially with reminding each other about who is stroking..I would dtaw the line at assisting on reading putts.
ReplyDeleteFrom the guy who needs the most help reading putts...#puttbettermoostie
ReplyDeleteApologies for incorrect scoring. Dave and I reviewed the app vs scorecard in the cart after, but I never asked Darren (opposite cart) to review/confirm. Given scoring errors/corrections seem to happen several times each season, maybe the board can discuss having each member "attest" their scores before leaving the course and maybe initial the scorecard we hand in each week?
ReplyDeleteSpeaking of board discussion, Reid informed me over lunch at Bella Collina what I was doing was illegal per USGA rules, and went on to explain how Camilo Vellegas aka "Spiderman" balances on his fingertips, toes, and putter to legally achieve his reads. Given this inflexible body cannot remotely imitate him, I'll abandon this read approach going forward.
And I agree with the other votes thus far that coaching/caddying should be continued to be allowed.
Fun trip overall fellas. "Awards of Excellence" go to Chandler for great course selection and housing arrangements, Brendan for his superb preparation of the most important meal of the day each morning, Captain Casey for the frozen treats, and Tall Mike for his extreme patience/dedication to cracking the combination to our pool/spa heater!
I agree with the the other comments.. We're not good enough to not need any and all tips we can get. And what's the point in being on the same team if you can't talk to them about a lie or putt, or whatever.
ReplyDeleteCongrats again to Mike Ho who earned that last day victory, I haven't enjoyed golf that much in a long time, it was really fun. I've also never been so nervous standing over a short iron as I was before those chunks on 18, the pressure definitely got me.
I loved all the courses this weekend and hope I qualify for next year. I'm also the one who accidentally stole Brendan's wallet... Sorry again, Brendan.
Wait...there were frozen treats???
ReplyDelete#backninegeoff!
Gorecki won the long drive for the trip, too. We got to circle K to get some beers and I realized I left my card at the clubhouse after Las Colinas. 20 minutes backtracking made for a long trip, but at least we had some twisted teas for the ride. Selfless move by Gorecki, Moostie, and Geoff for agreeing to go back and forfeiting some pool time. Thanks again.
ReplyDeleteDid Geoff really have Brendan's wallet?
ReplyDeleteWhile Gorecki's "grass angels" slow down play and literally don't improve his putting stats... I really am just more worried about the indentations left on the green. It's bad enough we got Big John's feet... we don't need to add knobby knee marks to the mix.
There are scoring issues every week. About 80% of them can be traced back to two people... those big "Double Gs." Instead of adding some extra "attesting" procedure that nobody will follow, I imagine it's easier for those two people to just listen to what their playing partners report as their score. Or better yet... pay attention so you know before they tell you. Knowing what you and three other people shot on a hole isn't that difficult. And I'm not even Rain Man.
Nice move by Gorecki to drive JW back for cards.
I forgot to mention that after my 9th terrible drive of the day, I violently swiped the club in anger and it slipped out of my sweaty hands... flying into Faz's shins. Really embarrassing... lucky not to hurt him... and I'm going to listen to some of JW's zen podcasts and just accept that every shot from now on is going to suck, so there's nothing to be mad about. Sorry, Faz!
I think any form of help is acceptable. Wish I could have made the trip. Sounds like it was a blast. Hopefully will be in for most events in the off-season. I should be able to start playing again at the beginning of October. Until then, practice up!
ReplyDeleteGreat Rapture. It was awesome that Sunday singles were so close. Great job by Brown as always to plan the event. I don't have strong opinions on rule changes, but caution us to not put in too many rules and take some of the fun out of it. I also apologize for my disaster on 17 on Sunday that held up play for too long and almost caused Faz to get hit by Gary's tee shot. I knew my ball wasn't lost in an all square match and simply didn't check the big bunker well enough. My bad.
ReplyDeleteHi, Mr Miffed here,
ReplyDeleteWhy have rules like, "ride with your opponent in the singles"?
Remove the rule and ride with your teammates and help them then, I don't want to hear the coaching while i'm trying to win a single's match.
DPT league statements "Be sure to dot your scorecards and use the leader board app so we can verify matches" which I did, and also with my opponent.
MikeG - DPT Rule #6 All players within a group are responsible for scoring accuracy. It is encouraged that every player keep note of strokes taken, and a quick review of scores happen at the end of each hole. Final scores should be verified by all players.
Overall great Rapture, and thanks to Coach Brown for making this event possible each year.
Opponents riding together in a team event doesn’t make sense to me, either. It’s great for match play events during the season, but I think teammates should be together for Rapture.
ReplyDeleteFirst of all... you should WANT to ride with your opponent. It's your responsibility to make sure they aren't fluffing up their balls in the rough or miscounting their strokes. If your opponent hits it near OB... YOU should be going over there to verify the ruling. Know the best way to do that?? RIDE WITH THEM so the other cart doesn't have to take you over there.
ReplyDeleteNone of this has anything to do with saying "Hey Katie, you're stroking on this hole." That's not even coaching, and is no different than telling her a distance with a range finder. I'm surprised Reid didn't get miffed about that too.
If it's great for Match Play in the season... it should be done as well in Singles at the Rapture.
I'm completely confused how there is any argument to be made that you wouldn't want to know where your opponent is at all times, and what their lie and situation is. It completely affects how you might play your next shot. Riding with your opponent in Singles is the only thing that makes sense, as far as strategy and pace of play is concerned.
ReplyDeleteUnless you're Dave on the 18th hole... who just gave up riding with is opponent... and left him with the cart 175 yards off the green hunting for a lost ball (his 3rd shot) while the entire group behind hit into and past him with their tee shots.
Sorry Faz for "almost" hitting you with my tee shot on 17...especially since the Sand Hill Brown had "already" hit you with a club toss!
ReplyDeleteMaybe we should all walk for the singles match? This isn’t the Rider Cup after all.
ReplyDeleteCorrection to the original post. Team Blue didn’t win 3 matches on day 2 but we did win 3 points. We won 2 and halved in the others.
ReplyDeleteYes Dave and Katie went down early but I don’t think many people would have had a chance against me and Casey in alt-shot. We continued playing that format after the match was over and shot +1 gross on the day after making bogey on 18. Casey - you owe me a couple Chrome Softs.
Speaking of Chrome Softs, I’m not sure when Tall Mike’s birthday is, but don’t buy him any because he’s too dialed in with his internet balls. Hence him needing to practice putting with the Chrome Soft after my group had already been waiting on the tee box for 15 minutes.
17 (and 18 for that matter) on day 3 was not my proudest moment. It was a perfect storm of all things that could possibly irritate me. I had just let Chandler back in the match on a day where I felt I should have already ended it. After waiting at least 10-15 minutes on the tee, I had to wait another 10 minutes in the fairway to hit a blind approach shot from 190 uphill into the wind, and as I’m pulling the trigger a ball lands and rolls near me. I about hit it back at the tee box, especially since that group was already complaining about being hit in to earlier, haha. That should have only impacted that one shot though and yet I proceeded to chunk like 3 more shots on my way to losing the hole with a 7 to Chandler’s 6. Did I mention I used to walk uphill both ways to school in the snow when I was a kid?
As for the Gorecki green reading, it sounds like that’s already been settled and it’s already a rule on Tour so I don’t think we even need to bother creating an official rule of our own.
9 at Bella Collina is a little whacky but I don’t think it’s unfair. I personally played it like a jackass by trying to get there in two. That cliff of a bunker short right is NO FUN.
As for singles, and helping/coaching other players in general, I don’t think we should take ourselves too seriously out there. We all have different phone apps, range finders, etc. so I think helping with yardages and pointing out hazards and whatnot is just common courtesy no matter what format we are playing in things like Rapture or just regular season events. Chandler and I were helping each other with yardages and hole layout the entire day and we were competing against each other. I agree that you should ride with your opponent because typically in singles you’d be playing in pairs, not foursomes. And I agree with everything Chandler said about knowing what your opponent is up to. As for reading putts, I do think you should be on your own in singles. I think it’s kind of fun to force people to be on their own after two days of having a partner.
Would love to participate in any scrambles if you guys hear of any good ones going on. I’d like to do some scrambles amongst ourselves as well (screw charities!) Loved the 3 club challenge and want to do it again but from the whites not the reds.
Great Rapture, great season. Blue team 4 life! (Or until next Rapture...)
Bunker short left*** on #9 at BC.
ReplyDeleteDid anyone pick up my cash on accident? I left a few hundred in cash on the table and would like it back please.
ReplyDeleteI'm also completely down for any scrambles people want to play in.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, Chandler did try to kill me on the 10th tee. I still have a legitimate bruise on my shin. Karma got him on the 18th green.
ReplyDeleteStill can’t believe chandler four putted
ReplyDeleteChipping putter!
ReplyDeleteMaybe Faz can give you his old square strike?
ReplyDeleteMaybe he should have ignored the 'NO CHIPPING' sign on the putting green and practiced that shot before the 18th hole.
ReplyDelete