Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Boozer's Golf Review Vol. 8 - Freedom Fairways

As written by Buchert:


Based on Chandler’s review going into the weekend, I had great expectations for Freedom Fairways.  However, rather than Great Expectations, I feel the title and opening line to another Charles Dickens’ novel fits Freedom Fairways more appropriately.  Specifically, “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times” from A Tale of Two Cities.


On the positive side, BYOB is definitely not an issue at Freedom Fairways.  Gorecki had an open cooler full of Reef Donkeys in the parking lot before the round.  Tall Mike was passing out beer from a growler.  Brendan had the Papoose locked and loaded. 

With all of this occurring in plain sight of the Starter, the only comment I heard from him was actually directed at the late arriving JW.  JW pulled into the parking lot and proceeded to get his bag out of his truck and walk it to our golf cart which was near the practice green.  While JW was putting his golf bag onto the golf cart, he was asked rather rudely by the Starter whether he had golf shoes.  JW was still in his flip flops because he had just arrived.  

Don’t worry about us openly loading a golf cart fanny pack full of beer right in front of you, sir, keep your sights on the important stuff like whether someone is going to play an executive course in flip flops.

This was followed by the lady in the pro shop yelling out a few minutes later that we needed to hurry up and tee off.  We assumed that there were groups behind us.  Nope.  We never saw a group behind us the entire round.

We blamed the erratic and unexplainable behavior on meth consumption and moved along to start our round.

The course itself was everything I expected and more.  Brendan did a fantastic job with the course design.  I was shocked at how many hazards he was able to bring into play on such a short course.  The trees could have used some trimming and the greens were, as Gary put it, like an old Arnold Palmer highlight reel.  However, neither of those issues are Brendan’s fault.

On to the official review:

You can’t drink all day if you don’t start in the morning

It’s tough to say whether they would “sell” us beer before 11 am on Sunday because the round came with a free beer.   I walked in, grabbed a beer, and walked out.  The lady in the pro shop didn’t say anything.  Combine that with the laissez-faire BYOB attitude and we were off to a good start.

Beer Cart

Nope.  No Cart Girl (or Cart Guy; #Equality).  There wasn’t even a place to reload on beers at the turn.  Freedom Fairways expects you to come fully prepared. 

Clubhouse

There is no clubhouse and the pro shop closed at noon so JW and Brendan weren’t even able to get their free beers.   Also, I wasn’t looking in the morning when I went into the pro shop, but I would assume there’s no Woodford Reserve served at Freedom Fairways.

Overall Score:

I give Freedom Fairways 2 beers out of 6 pack.  The on-premises boozing options are awful, but they lived up to their name by giving us the freedom to bring our own booze onto their "fairways."



5 comments:

  1. It's nice to see all 4 members of the BGR are great descriptive writers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shobhit! So glad you found our blog. Do you understand the rules of Chapman? If so, we could probably use you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought we were exclusive...I don't remember voting Shobhit in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We aren’t exclusive when it comes to pool pumps. You only need a google account for that.

    ReplyDelete