Do you remember where you were, when JW got his 2nd win in league history? Snapping a streak of 61 consecutive tournaments without a victory. That might not ever be broken, but it appears the highest current streak is Tall Mike with 34.
It was great to witness JW's round, as he really didn't do anything special... just managed the course and limited the blow-ups. He made nothing worse that double-bogey, which should always be the goal for people with 20+ handicaps. Honestly, he can win every week with that game-plan until his handicap drops to around 15.
His win comes 5 years and 1 day since his only other victory, also at the Hangover Invitational (RIP Quail Hollow).
We now have a log jam at the top, and what could be the closest finish in league history (Katie beat John by 114.2 in her rookie season). With two events remaining, seven people are officially eliminated from contention, and a few more are technically eliminated thanks to their RSVP schedule and playing requirements for the DPT Masters (you need 4 events to qualify).
Fun time after the round with all the pitchers purchased. We were going to pour out an entire pitcher in honor of John's dead golf game... but he opted to drop a mixed drink on the floor instead. All damages were placed on Casey's account.
--------------------
The Jamaican Open is this week at Scepter Golf Club, a course we've played a couple of times (once in a two-man scramble).
A handful of hippies have tickets to the Gasparilla Music Festival (not an officially recognized Club holiday) and "want/need" to play early. I've reluctantly agreed to a time that might allow them to attend both events.
This brings back up the "early vs. late" tee time debate, which many of you people live on the wrong side of delusion. I do keep documentation of each members' boisterous claims, just so I can throw it back in your face when you flip-flop as soon as it suits you.
First tee time is 8:38am. Considering the range is nowhere near the course, you'll need to wake before the sun rises if you want to warm up. After the round, all you people who desire early tee times can piss the day away on your couch, knowing that you could accomplish some weekend chores, despite the fact that you're not going to.
Rate is $50 and range balls are free assuming you get down there early enough to hit them. Also keep in mind that if you miss your tee time you'll be DQ'd. This happened to Tall Mike at the Hangover one year, when he showed up on the 3rd hole after over-sleeping.
If you are a "maybe" on the RSVP list, I'm going to give you one day to figure out your shit before I assume you're OUT and reduce the tee times.
More info to come later.
--------------------
The Rapture this year will almost definitely be played on August 16th-18th. I'm working out the details and searching for some houses... but we'll also probably just be taking 12 people due to all the new babies recently born/expected. So go put this on your calendar NOW.
Later this week I'll post the official RSVP list so we have an idea how many potential attendees we have.
Oh... shout out to Gorecki for setting up the Hangover bar at GenX. Was a really fun private party setting... bartenders were great... banko was fun.
ReplyDeleteLooking at some of the scores, the event did its job. And at least someone won who attended the party!
I'll echo the Gorecki shout out. Glad we got in there before the masses make a mess of that place.
ReplyDeleteBar scene was great after the round, too. Lots of pitchers and partying. Don't want to spoil the BGR post, but their Baby Guiness was more or less a triple tequila shot. Now we can all cheer for the new lovable loser of the league, Moostie, who hasn't won since his dominant 2016 winning 6 of the 16 tournaments he played in and both league titles that year. I recommend not waiting another 27 rounds to win like I did when I hit 34.
Great win dubs, well deserved.
ReplyDeleteI’ll also play from tips
ReplyDeleteAnd as an order of new business at the next board meeting I will propose making GMF a club holiday. Vote accordingly. I also voted to limit the max score on par 3’s to 7. I expect conveying these opinions will cost me my board seat next elections, but I’m a man of principle.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the compliments. The GenX owners/staff said they really enjoyed having us. Said to give shout outs to "The Big Guy" (John) and "The Guy from London" (Dave) for their impressive tabs. And when they asked me today how I played on Sunday, I replied "Like shit. But we only have this league hangout event twice a year so its worth the poor scoring and body aching given the fun times enjoyed the night before".
ReplyDeleteJ.W. needs to teach me how he does it! Congrats again on the victory.
And Dub also have the board re address earning bonus points for members showing up to hangover bar. Collecting 0 points on Sunday just added to the hurt!
Points for showing up was voted on at the annual meeting, and even debated at GenX.
ReplyDeleteIt did not get the 4 of 5 votes needed to pass last year. My proposal was 50 points... which Faz vehemently fought against and got at least one other Board member to kill it.
So write your Board member (hand written letters only) if you want to see this or any other change.
We also LOSE an hour of sleep this day. Which might become my favorite tournament ever when 3 of you fail to make our tee time. #teamlate
ReplyDeleteJust a FYI I need to send the golf pro the names of people playing on Sunday by 10am tomorrow (Thursday).
ReplyDeleteSo they're 3 maybes still listed (Danny. Darren, Tall Mike) so let me know as total count right now is 13. If that stands that's gonna be a lot of 3somes!
I’m in for Sunday.
ReplyDeleteUpdate your rsvp
ReplyDeleteRSVP Updated. I'm out.
ReplyDeleteI was very happy to see JW pull this victory out as the first thing I said in the clubhouse was: wasn't it this same event several years ago when you won last? I'd love to know how long - Chandler had already thought of what I was thinking and interrupted me with: 5 years and 1 day! Haha...good stuff. These are the magical moments that make this league great, no doubt a result of it's fine members.
Either way, I'm happy Dub got a win and allowed me to assume the mantle. I will note, I'm pretty sure that it was at the same event that Dub had had his last win at Quail Hollow that I overslept and barely even made it to the course as Chandler mentioned.
Given my game has the new baby disease and is clearly suffering (3 pitchers this season) - one day I'm sure my handicap will creep back up high enough to afford me a win - maybe another streak, who knows. Until then, I'm just trying not to break my clubs and enjoy BGR beverages on the course.
The Florida / Miami game just got moved to August 24th, FYI. I guess they must not check the blog. Jerks.
ReplyDeleteThat’s one game I will not be going to. Might not be going to Rapture, either, but that stadium is awful and I don’t want to spend any more time around Miami fans than I already do.
ReplyDeleteYeah John told me this might happen. So we will probably go the week before now.
ReplyDelete