Monday, January 6, 2020

The Classic - Spring 2020 Recap

The Lexington Oaks Massacre

Alright, so what happened?
  • cold, windy day
  • firm greens (newly re-built last summer)
  • wet course (makes it play longer)
  • super soft around greens (difficult to chip and run ball up)
There you go. If you can't land the ball on the green, and you can't land it short of the green, it's going to cause some big numbers. Not to mention Lexington has never been an easy ("fun") course. The leader board looks like a nightmare, but the guys who hit the ball the best were at the top.

I imagine the 13 pitchers in one day was a record. Five of them were due to the new USGA Course Handicap Calculation change. The double pitchers would have been double pitchers regardless.

While Faz made the only par on the 10 and 11... and Buchert the only par on 17 (super impressive)... Danny made the only par on #1, which is ridiculous and set the tone for the rest of the day.

56% of the field failed to make more than 2 pars or better. Also ridiculous.

The deadbeat list is only as good as what is told to me, and what I remember. So if you see something, say something. I'm fine with us having some pitchers owed and spreading them out at other events where the scores are better. But don't let it get out of control.

Anyway, that was entertaining. Good to be back.

----------------------------------

Next week we're going to Dunedin Golf Club for the first time in our stroke-play history.

It's an old Donald Ross design built in 1927. The Senior PGA Championship played there from 1945-1962, so it has a ton of old memorabilia on site.

Tee time is 9:30am (I think... booked it in the parking lot after a few beers... I'll confirm later). And cost is $50ish. Scorecard is here. Everyone is on WHITES unless you tell me otherwise.

We only have 16 spots, with 14 people confirmed.

See you then.

10 comments:

  1. The course layout at Lexington is unnecessarily brutal on some holes, as well. And did anyone put out an Amber-Alert for the cart girl?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ll try to get a decent stats post up later this week but some people were asking about the hardest par 3 in league history. The only other par 3 harder than 17 at Lexington is the 17th at Stoneybrook but we don’t really play there anymore. The Stoney 17th has an average of 4.760 while the one at Lexington is 4.674. There are a few others that technically have a higher scoring average but we’ve only played one or two events at those courses so they aren’t statistically significant. The highest average for a par 3 is the 11th at Southern Dunes with 4.867 but that hole has been played 15 times, as opposed to the 17th at Lexington being played 86 times.

    Also, that was the fourth time that +4 was the winning net score. It’s also happened at Bloomingdale in the Summer of 2012 (Gorecki), The Claw in the Spring of 2013 (Dan R.I.P.), and a three way tie at Heritage Harbor in the Spring of 2014 (Chandler, Geoff, Faz).

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're actually due to go back down to Stoneybrook. We stopped going because the ownership ran it into the ground. But new ownership has taken over... and renamed it...

    HERITAGE HARBOUR GOLF CLUB

    Word online is it's getting better. I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, I see a lot of 6s on par 3s. I hope those are all natural 6s because the max on 3s is an 8. It’s understandable if people are forgetting but make sure everyone remembers the +5 max rule and that there’s no such thing as max double par anymore, except for par 5s of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 17 at Lexington would be a higher average without that generous drop zone, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah everyone better know the +5 rule by now.

    Also... glad to see Geoff firing off some course architecture takes. Hopefully more of you are taking note of what you like/dislike about a layout.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sure hope no one is forgetting the +5 rule. Cost me as many strokes Sunday as it did the previous season. I needed to #playbetter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh... right...

    Gary won. Made a great birdie on 18 (by laying up) to avoid any chance of choking the victory away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I kinda figured that I didn't deserve a shout out since I didn't 'win' so much as everybody else 'lost'...#suckedless.
    Handicap question for the Commish...you are showing my ESC adjustment from 89 to 88...doesn't the new rule change the quad '8' I had on #12 to a '6'(net dbl. bogey), thus changing my ESC to an 87?

    ReplyDelete