Thursday, June 18, 2020

Week 2 - Preview and Anal-ysis

For the first Major of the year, we'll be playing in the Bird Sanctuary known as Southern Hills. While you may notice a birdie or two out on the course, the real excitement is an albatross lives somewhere on property. Maybe you'll see him.

So majestic.

Anyway, we have five groups again. First tee time is 10:10am. Cost is $65ish.

Random pairings this week. We'll do that live tonight at 8pm on the Twitter. Again, those of you who don't use that service are NOT missing out on anything. Just the validation that it is (or at least "appears") random. We do have some special requests this week that I reluctantly granted.

Outside of that... it's Southern Hills. You know what to expect. This will be our 16th event at this course, which is ranked on the "fun" end of the spectrum. With the new handicap calculation, the winning score is usually -4 (net).

Historically, Darren and Dave play this course the best, with a -1.5 and -1.0 net average. JW, Ho, and Gorecki are the worst with +4.7, +7.0 and +7.3 net averages.

Using -4 (net) as a baseline — Melberg, Chandler, Dave and Faz all need to shoot in the 70s. So get them out of here. Ho and Gary need 80s, and we just mentioned Ho sucks at this course. So he's gone. Gary will probably be near the top with a low-80s round but not a winner this week.

Gorecki needs a 96, which would put us at DEFCON-2. His lowest recorded league round out there is 100. I'm not counting it out, but the blood will be on the hands of whoever is in his group and let him shoot under 100. Katie, Geoff and Brendan did a terrible job last week protecting our future.

So from the rest of you scrubs not mentioned, I like Brendan, Tall Mike, and Troy, who can reach -4 with an 87, 86, and 89 respectively. Although... none of them have ever recorded scores in league play that low on Southern Hills.

See you out there.

6 comments:

  1. I have this event locked up. You turkeys are just playing for second place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To post a -4 (net), you'd need a 93 (gross).

    Geoff's all time gross scores at Southern Hills:
    95, 103, 101, 95, 105, 97, 100, 102, 104, 94, 99, 106, 108, 95, 91, 103, 92, 101, 105, 96

    So...

    Yeah you might win this tomorrow. But you'll also more than likely shoot +4 (net)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, any one want in on the over under on Sandhill's score on #7 tomorrow? Set the line at 5.5...I'll go with over...$5

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ll take that bet, Gary. I think he gets 5

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad I could make you some dollars, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete