#ContentSeason continues, as we look at more stats in to drive engagement. Not John's pending engagement... just people debating things.
Below is a list of everyone's current Index, and career winning percentage. Granted, not everyone won with these current indexes. They bounce around. But we all know who the "skillful" players are. Comment with your observations:
I'll start:
- Katie won 7 times in her first 21 events. She has zero wins in her next 21 events. Her early dominance was due to quick improvement under the old, and less penal, handicap system (mostly short game). Those days seem over.
- Darren is the ultimate sandbagger. I propose we change his nickname from "Baron" to "Mr. Sandman."
- Chandler's handicap yo-yos from 8 to 12. Wins are in spurts, and then it's hibernation time. Recently, his seven most recent rounds aren't being used by the Index calculation...
- Gorecki earned 33% of his TOTAL victories this past season. Definitely due to mental improvement and wide fairways.
- Casey, Troy, and Danny are only one victory away from getting their win % to double-digits.
- Buchert doesn't play enough to win a Cup — but his win % is surprising. I see why he's pushing for low-handicap relief policies.
- Ho is either a reverse-sandbagger, or gets really nervous around us. Or both.
- Brendan and JW win too much. We should decrease the handicap allowance! </sarcasm>
- Melberg has only played in 8 events, so I left him off this list.
- Overall, this looks like a good spread of "skill." The three "best" golfers on the list (Dave, Chandler, Faz) are all in the top half.

Maybe Brendan and I should get 110% of our handicaps to make this more equitable?
ReplyDeleteI would like to point out that I only started pushing for low handicap relief policies after my handicap went above 13. I did not complain when I was in the single digits. Self-serving policies do nothing to improve the league.
ReplyDeleteIf I had to explain my low winning percentage, I would point to three things:
1. My handicap index has been much lower than my actual playing ability the last 3 years. Due to work and family obligations, I don't have the chance to get a round in during the week, on Saturdays, hit the driving range every once in awhile, etc. It takes a very short time for your index to go down, but it takes a very long time to get it back up if you are only playing 1 to 2 rounds per month. I am very much a 15 handicapper right now, but my index still does not reflect that.
2. I have had terrible timing as far as when I shoot a good score. I play better on open courses. Unfortunately, that also favors high handicaps. I have shot the best gross score multiple times over the last few years only to be beat by high handicappers. Grasslands this summer is a good example. I played as well as I have all year and shot an 80. This is a very good round for me right now and was the best score on the day. I finished T-5 behind JW, Geoff, Gorecki, and Danny. Unfortunately, I don't have the consistency where I'm putting up three to four good rounds per season. If you do put up multiple good rounds, chances are you will get a win or two. When you only throw up one good round at an "open" course, the chances are good someone else with a higher handicap is going to have a good day too.
3. Due to reasons 1 and 2, combined with not being able to play in 8 to 9 events per season, I am well aware that I have no chance of winning a season championship. Therefore, I have not really been too worried about trying to win events this year. I'll play from the back tees or try some very low percentage shots just for fun leading to some big numbers. I'm fine with making a double instead of grinding out a bogey. I'm enjoying myself, but my focus has definitely been lacking.
As far as other observations, I would say that Chandler's winning percentage combined with his low handicap would put him in the discussion for best player in the league right there with Dave - which surprised me. Tall Mike is still the greatest champion ever though.
The top two, Katie and Darren, both went on some great winning streaks - which Chandler pointed out. This also led to their handicap indexes dropping a good amount and I feel like they have come back to the pack in the last few seasons. Gorecki seems to be on one of these streaks at this very moment. I wonder how long he can ride it out before his index catches up to him? Hopefully, he can keep it going through another season to make things interesting again.
Since its already been established that Tall Mike's 4 ea DPT Cups is undisputed G.O.A.T., can you add a column next to this table for number of tournament victories (majors too??) each member has collected? I'm curious to know who the Veejay Singh's of this league are.
ReplyDeleteUmm... click the button at the top of this blog that says "Stats."
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome.
I was requesting those stats be added next to this table so we can see/compare the "low vs high" hc'ers and the number of events they each have won, not just the percentage they win. But yes referencing the stats tab will accomplish this request. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteAnd what did you discover?
ReplyDelete