Reid earned his 13th career victory last Sunday, on a very difficult Hernando Oaks course. A lot of people were in the mix, but ultimately collapsed on the final three holes. Tall Mike had the best chance to match Reid, but put his second shot in the water on 18. Lay-up on that hole, kids... on the right side!
I'm really surprised the scores weren't worse out there. The cold temperature and less-than-ideal course conditions should have produced more pitchers. I guess for the most part everyone played "okay."
By far the worst part of the course was the teeing areas and bunkers. Lots of mixed reviews on the greens. Obviously they weren't great... but they weren't horrendous either. Especially for $32. I kinda felt most of the "bumps" in the greens were pitch-marks that weren't properly fixed. Either way, it seemed most of the strokes lost out there were due to putting.
Hernando Oaks has a good routing... hopefully they can figure it out.
---------------------------------
We're up at World Woods this week - 10am on Rolling Oaks ($70ish). This is our first Major, so the points and payouts are a little higher.
By default, I place everyone on the WHITE tees here. However, many of you are going to want to move back to the GREENS (you'll pick up 2-3 shots). Make a comment or text me if you're doing that.
---------------------------------
The Bucs game is at 3pm (kickoff 3:15ish?). Considering I have to sit around waiting on the final groups, you people need to play fast. Stop taking 4+ clubs to each tee box. Stop the practice swings. Keep up with the group in front of you. It's been a long time since football mattered on Sunday.
See you up there.

Are we gonna watch the game after?
ReplyDeleteYes.
ReplyDeleteThe course looked bad, but it was extremely playable. Seems like they cut back a bunch of bad growth and winter helped a lot of it not be, well, full grown. It looks way worse than it played with all the brown, but not overseeding just let the balls run out there, which helps if you're hitting it straight. Helped me when I got the driver going after the second hole. The bunkers also looked worse than they played. The few I got into were a little harder packed than I'd usually like, but there was still sand in there. The lakes being dry were helpful for a couple errant shots in our group, too, although that's not by design quite as much.
ReplyDeleteI'm OK with the brown dormant look. As JW said it still played fine. Expect a lot of courses to stop over-seeding in the future.
ReplyDeleteI listened to a golf architecture podcast recently (I'm so woke) with the Super at Pinehurst #2. After the restoration project in 2010, they quit over-seeding and let the Bermuda go dormant and brown. They also realized the rye grass process over the past decades was causing the ground to be soft, due to all the necessary watering. So to keep the "green" look, they literally spray paint the turf in the fall.
He said colorant was cheaper than the rye seed... and their water usage in the fall dropped immediately 90%.
All of which caused Greta Thunberg to stay away from Pinehurst... for now. Everybody wins.
I heard the same story. I didn’t know what rye grass was until this winter, though, and having finally seen it and noticed it at other courses (Renaissance was full of it) I can say I’d rather just let the grass go dormant where it can. We get enough soft courses full of water over the summers here.
ReplyDeleteill play blacks
ReplyDelete