Monday, January 11, 2021

The Classic - Spring 2021 Recap

I don't like calling golf courses "easy." To me, they're either "difficult" or "fun." Golf is hard enough as it is, we don't need to disrespect the maddening mechanics of the swing by calling a course "easy."

You might be able to convince me that a third category is "shit."  But a lot of times a course being shit causes it to be difficult. That was not the case with Club Renaissance. Physical conditions out there yesterday were some of the best we'll see all year — especially under $100.

So without the conditions to blame, we can only conclude that it's an extremely difficult golf course. Buchert had 4 birdies and still managed to lose by 3 shots. Melberg had 4 birdies and owed a pitcher. We averaged over 7 strokes (gross) on two of the par 5s!

Hard is good sometimes, though. It makes for exciting finishes, as Geoff tried to perform his patented back-nine collapse, only to keep the wheels on long enough for Buchert to eject. Geoff was one of only three golfers to have fewer than 4 doubles (or worse). For him to do that with a 22.5 Index — and on that course — definitely makes him worthy of the title.

------------------------------------

A note about the Deadbeat List... yelling at me who owes what to whom after the round isn't going to get something published. There's a 0% chance I'm going to even attempt to remember your debts and issues. Make a comment on these posts and I'll then update it.

However, it's much easier to just pay each other after the round. Venmo... PayPal... use the "request" feature if someone left without settling up. Why even have all this cool and convenient technology if you aren't going to use it? Maybe you don't deserve the $2 owed to you?

------------------------------------
 
We play next week up at Hernando Oaks at 10am. When I left a message for the Director of Golf... he apparently just booked us instead of calling me back to discuss it. It'll probably be around $30 though... so don't expect the same wonderful conditions we just saw.
 
Apparently the Howard Frankland bridge will be closed... which I'm pretty sure only affects Faz. Casey might see some increased traffic? Everyone else doesn't live in Pinellas.

Update your RSVPs if something changed. See you Sunday.

9 comments:

  1. Totally agree about conditions yesterday. Greens were great with very few bad spots and they did a nice job seeding around the course to keep it playable. Penalties everywhere make it not as much fun. Geoff avoiding the penalty strokes and blowup holes out there is definitely admirable. Sometimes Geoff can build a lead so large even he can't blow it. Congrats on the win.

    Something that wasn't mentioned, is Katie back? She played in 6 events last season and is starting this season with a 2nd place finish and a spiking handicap. The odds would like quite different for her this season than last.

    Anyone have pitcher updates? Were 5 purchased yesterday with 9 in the backlog now? Anyone else want to keep the backlog going until February and really start partying then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote down the following pitcher purchases: Faz 2, Tall Mike, Brendan (paid John for one), Geoff.

    So we should have 9 in the backlog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Casey believes Katie is 100% back. He bet me, before the round, that she’d win the season. She played well, so it’s not out of the question. I’m may to have to win the season just to win that bet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m good with either one of you winning. #keepthechampsdinnersmallitsalreadytoobigformyliking

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree good conditions but penalty strokes everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought we would set a new record for pitchers owed since we had a full field, it was the first time playing in awhile for a lot of members, and the tight course. Faz, do you keep track of pitchers owed for each league event? I'm just wondering where this stacks up if you have that info readily available?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Faz should have a way to determine that... but before he does... I'm going to guess it was opening week of Spring 2020 at Lexington Oaks. The greens were rock solid and fast that day, with the surrounding areas super soft. Made it impossible to hit GIRs.

    13 pitchers that day... and damn close to 16 (with only a field of 16).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can find that info but it’ll take me a little bit because those tabs are separate for each season in my sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got as far as Summer 17 and Chandler is right, the Lexington Oaks day with 13 pitchers is the most. It’s extremely unlikely that anything prior to the Summer of 17 will come close to 13 pitchers due to field size and the older handicap calculations.

    ReplyDelete