Tuesday, February 9, 2021

The Concussion - Spring 2021 Recap

Troy owns The Groves. In three events at that course, he has 2 decisive wins and a 10th (of 18). It's also back-to-back wins for Troy... putting him on the inside track to joining the Champions Dinner. While six seasons have crowned a Champion with 1 or 2 victories... you historically need that 3rd to lock it up. Although... people have won three events and still not hoisted the Cup.

Casey played a near flawless round to tie for the victory, recording four bogeys and the rest pars on the day. His game doesn't seem to fit this course, but he did finish 2nd here a year ago... so maybe he's more versatile than we give him credit.
 
Geoff was also in the mix until he realized the he had three holes remaining, and went full implode mode. Faz reports this was Geoff's best ever gross score — to par — by three strokes! Casey also had his best ever gross score to par.

-----------------------

After three straight seasons at The Groves, we can safely say the course is perfect for this event. But I'm a man that likes variety, so I'm still planning on returning to Countryway at some point... and hopefully another course I've had my eye on.

But The Groves was good. Conditions were borderline great. The weather cleared up just as our last group was teeing off, and it turned into really enjoyable day — capped off by a seemingly improbable Buccaneer beat-down in the Super Bowl.

Thanks to everyone who bought pitchers to get the party started a little early.

-----------------------
 
When you finish a round, I need the scorekeepers to do a couple of things:

1) Add up your damn scores. Front, back and total. Some of you are lazy and don't add them up... which means you're NOT actually checking to see if they're correct.

2) Compare those scores to the app. Either on this blog or within GolfGameBook... click on each player in the group and make sure the total gross is the same.

We have had mistakes EVERY tournament so far this year. Dave dropped two spots post-round on Sunday due to errors in the app. This is why pros get DQ'd for signing incorrect scorecards.

-----------------------
 
We are OFF this weekend, so the Westchase Whipped can brunch with their Valentine's dates.
 
In two weeks we have Match Play at Big Cypress — another retirement community in a trailer park. I was there in late December and their greens were some of the best I've ever seen in the area. Assuming we don't get a ton of rain between now and February 21st, it should be awesome.

Match Play is a scheduling nightmare, since we have to pair up. So update your RSVPs now. And tell me which of the 4 regular guests are in.

See you in two weeks.

6 comments:

  1. Suggestion for discussion by the Board during the offseason: Should we always play lift, clean and place for the Concussion?

    We can't expect the conditions at the Groves or Countryway to be great or even good. I had a couple of balls that missed the green Sunday by a very small margin where my lie was complete crap and it had nothing to do with the rain from the previous night. Playing lift, clean and place gave the opportunity to hit a real shot rather than having to punch a lower lofted club towards the hole and then hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But why stop there? Some full sized courses have shit conditions, especially around greens. Wouldn’t you also be implying we should always play those rules?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No. My first sentence clearly limits this to the Concussion, so that would be incorrect.

    I understand your concerns regarding this being a slippery slope. However, we already have league exceptions to the rules of golf (gimmies, for example). A clearly defined exception to the rules is fine so long as the Board is clear as to when, and only when, the exception is to be applied. In this case, it would be the one time per season that we're playing a short course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I'm failing to understand the correlation of "short courses" and "shit conditions." The Groves was fine Sunday. We've seen worse conditions around the greens at "long courses" (Dunedin, Tarpon Woods, Pebble Creek, Heritage Harbor/Isles, Lexington Oaks, Buffy Creek, Lansbrook, the list literally never ends).

    If I got us on the par-3 course at Augusta National, would we play LC&P because it's short? Or not, because conditions are perfect? And if it's the latter, then the argument really has nothing to do with the length of the course, and more with the implied conditions of executive courses.

    In any case, if you ask for a Board review, you'll get it. I've added it to my running list for discussion this Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was mostly thinking of the crappy condition that Countryway was in when I played it in the beginning of January and the fact that we haven't played there in League play for a few seasons. Is it reasonable to ever expect Countryway to be in good condition? They don't charge enough and it gets too much play. At the same time, it's a fun change of pace, the food/drink prices are awesome, and it's much closer than the Groves for the majority of the Members. A lift, clean and place rule could be a solution to get Countryway back into the rotation without a ton of grumbling. It might not even be necessary to have a Concussion rule, maybe just a Countryway rule. I throw ideas out there. I can't guarantee that they are going to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like ideas. I'm as annoying about them at Board meetings as I am on the blog. Once we played LC&P due to shitty conditions (not rain) up at Silverthorn.

    They had a Hep-A scare the next day.

    ReplyDelete