Monday, May 3, 2021

Skins Game - Summer 2021 Recap

Darren put together an impressive round yesterday at Heritage Harbor, keeping the wheels on with only two double-bogeys on the most tricked-up par 5s. He's slowly been increasing his handicap, so a steady round was all he needed to be the only player under par (net).

Melberg finished 2nd, despite moving back to the tips. I think this was a good play on his part, even though the four extra strokes was really only two due to the terribly designed par-3 14th. The extra distance didn't hurt him at all on the other holes. Impressive round and he easily could have won.

Everyone else kinda sucked. There weren't as many max scores as I expected, but the course played to its normal difficulty.

Greens were good. Yes I know they were "slow"... but they weren't slow for regular local courses. We're getting into aeration season so that speed should be expected everywhere. The other conditions needed some work. Still... not terrible for the price and location. If they keep it up we'll check back in with HH in 2024. When Darren needs another victory.
 
------------------
 
Some of you people are getting bad at scorecards again. While you caught and fixed all scoring errors before we left the course, we had an un-awarded greenie for Reid (birdie on 14). Deadbeat list has been updated to reflect this.
 
------------------
 
Let's talk about the World Golf Rankings and Rapture qualification.

We lock the 2021 standings after the next event. Nobody currently on the board is in danger of falling off due to lack of rounds played (<10). And there isn't anyone not currently on the board who can qualify by playing in Week 3. Anyone not on the rankings board will be ranked by:
 
1) number of rounds played in qualification period
2) number of points accumulated in the same period

Once we reserve housing for the event, we'll start collecting money. After a week or so, we'll allow the alternates (in order of ranking) to fill in for those who aren't allowed to attend.

Troy will be a Captain, as long as Tall Mike doesn't win. If the Moose wins, then Troy will need to score a handful of more points than Geoff.

Melberg could actually be a Captain if he wins, Geoff scores less that 53ish points, and Tall Mike scores less than 450ish points.

Tall Mike basically needs to win to be a Captain. 
 
Geoff just needs to play well.

This is easily the most players we've had in the mix with one event to go.

------------------
 
We're off this upcoming weekend for Mother's Day. You're welcome.

Next event is our first Major at Grasslands, 11am tee time — which is what happens when we play the private courses you elitists desire. John has pre-purchased the rounds, so everyone attending owes him $43.
 
See you in two weeks.

17 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Darren, with an e.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So to be clear, if alternates were ranked today, I'd be 1st based on rounds played?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No. Sorry. What I called "alternates" was for anyone NOT in the Rankings.

    You'd be 2nd behind John if we ranked alternates today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Discussing this with Chandler, though, and Katie is out and Buchert says he’s out. Reid and I listed that weekend as “out,” but I’m more ??? for that weekend than out. If Reid really is out, then everyone with a ranking who can go will be able to. If I’m actually out, then we get into the off the board alternates. There’s a decent chance I lose a whole lot of points this next tournament, too, so you’ll likely bump up a spot in the rankings and be safe to choose your own adventure regardless of how you play.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and how about Moostie’s 16 shot improvement between front nine and back 9? Is that a record?

    ReplyDelete
  7. My guess is that Geoff probably has that record but going in the opposite direction...#backninesucks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here’s a Moostie stat... he finished 12th and his handicap dropped. Lost 8 strokes with ESC. Had he just shot what was allowed, he’d have been 3rd.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Under the old league rules, Moostie would have finished T7 with Brian and Troy. He’d have had 30 points instead of 2.5. Board votes matter. Barely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did you take the time to check everyone else’s max scores?

    ReplyDelete
  11. No one had as many bonus strokes as Moostie did, and only Topor had any ahead of him. Didn’t take long.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would have loved to see what Ho’s score would have been on 11. A true thing of beauty

    ReplyDelete
  13. He'd still be on the tee...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would have DQ’d as I would have ran out of golf balls on that hole. All to that damn tree on the left! Realistically my guess would have been a 12 because eventually I would have just hit 9iron

    ReplyDelete