Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Jamaican Open - 2021 Summer Recap

Travis is the new Katie after winning a third event in his rookie season. Shooting -13 (net) at Eaglebrooke is almost unfathomable. Especially in wet, cart path only conditions.
 
During the week he joked about moving back to the Blue Tees to intimidate Melberg... and then fires the lowest gross round of the day (78), and his personal best. I haven't spoken to the two witnesses yet, as they were apparently shamed off the course and fled back to Tampa immediately following the round. It must have been a sight to behold.

There are a lot of golfers who just lack reps, and quickly improve once they start playing every week (like we saw with Katie). This is one of the greatest things about our Club. We give golfers a ton of opportunities to play and improve. Travis is clearly in that category, dropping his handicap from an 18 to a 12.2 in just four months. The most recent revision has him reducing his Index by 3.9 points, thanks to his recent exceptional score.

Travis' Index reduction may be too little, too late for anyone hoping to hoist the Cup. With only a couple events remaining on our schedule, he just needs one more decent outing. And it appears he'll only get one more outing. 
 
Keen observers may notice he's "OUT" for our final tournament on August 1st. While we try to make sure anyone "in the hunt" can tee it up at the finale, we also have to review each scenario on a case-by-case basis. In this instance — with Travis also "OUT" the following three make-up weeks (and questionable the fourth) — we're not going to reschedule.

Again, it's probably a moot point. Unless the Hangover gets rained out... Travis should have this locked up. Maybe we'll get some end of the season drama. But it looks like everyone is playing for pride at this point.

-----------------------------------

We're off next week for the British Open. That may sound weird, but in 2016 we missed watching Henrik Stenson battle Phil Mickelson — one of the best Opens in history — because we were at Buffalo Creek. The following year, only a handful us watched Jordan Spieth cheat his way to a victory over Matt Kuchar after were were rained out at Pebble Creek.
 
I caught a lot of shit (rightfully so) from guys questioning why we would ever golf during the Open. And thus, it's now one of our bye weeks. If you don't care about professional Major championships — which is understandable since our tournaments are more important — then use the extra time off wisely.
 
 -----------------------------------
 
In two weeks we'll have the Hangover, which is preceded by our season party/gathering. I spoke extensively with our Social Chair last weekend, and we agreed that while bowling was awesome... we shouldn't wear out the idea. Plus, we have a Rapture draft and parings to conduct (assuming both Captains attend the party and Tall Mike actually pays to be in the Rapture).
 
Speaking of, we have four guys who haven't sent in their Rapture money ($160 for housing) as of today. They need to get on that so we can create the draft list.
 
With only two alternates remaining, we're getting close to reverting back to a 12-man event. Lots of consequences to doing that... so let's get our shit together!

Based on who we expect to show up at our Club gathering, we'll meet at World of Beer on Spruce St. by the airport at 8pm. No gimmicks — except for the Rapture stuff (if applicable). Just us meeting at a bar and hanging out. Like adults. Bring your WAGs.

See you then.

12 comments:

  1. Sorry, when I was editing my availability I put "out" when I should have put "in". I've adjusted that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha well then... looks like we'll see how the Hangover goes and make a decision on moving the Masters at that point! Glad you're in those weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you're saying 3 wins in a season is an assumed championship? I can say from experience.. NOT TRUE! Tall Mike still haunts my dreams lol.


    Congrats though to Travis on his personal best round.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No... saying that Katie got 3 wins in her rookie season and won (barely).

    Someone getting 3 wins and NOT winning the Cup has only happened twice in history. With you being the most recent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It feels like it has been a very long time since we had a "good" pitcher round. Well done, Travis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been just over 2 years... when Adam did it at Bufflo fucking Creek (-10 net).

    But with the changes to the World Handicap System, it's much more difficult to do now since course handicaps skew lower. Travis' -13 would have been -16ish in 2019.

    ReplyDelete
  7. After watching him play, it's crazy to think that he was getting more than a stroke a hole. Kid played great. Didn't seem to miss a shot and if he did, it was quickly salvaged, so hats off to Travis. Also, even with us waiting for every shot with the groups in front of us, the group behind us was just teeing off on 16 when we finished so no chance I was sticking around for another hour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah Group 2 played in OVER 5 hours. So bad that groups 4 and 5 left the course (at the 4:40 mark), avoided the rain and lightning while drinking beers inside. Then went back out an hour later to finish the final two holes. Totally don’t blame you for leaving.

    Shame on Group 2!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to ruin all the Hangover fun, which I was excited to learn of the location as I like that WOB, but I was quickly reminded I will have family in town for my daughter's baptism that will take place the morning of the 25th. So I'm out for Hangover activities and play. 😔

    Perhaps God and Jesus will be on my Rapture team's side for once as we try to win the Moses 🤞

    Also, I thought the club winnings would cover my Rapture entry...if that is not allowed I will send electronic dollars. Just let me know, Dear Leader and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Unfortunately we don't mix the ledgers, as all of your Club Credit is tied up selling naked calls of John's daily stock tips.

    Send over that $160! You too, Danny.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’m only just now doing stats from last week. The 12 shot margin of victory was the biggest in league history. Troy won by 11 at The Groves in the Spring ‘20 season and I believe there were two other 10 shot victories. Wild stuff.

    ReplyDelete