Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Board of Directors: 2022 - 2023

It's time to vote in our rotating Board of Directors seats for the next two years.

For the new people... or the old people who never pay attention... you can find a link to the current By-Laws at the top of the "Leadership" page of this blog. While the Chairman position remains unchanged (he's just a puppet anyway), we do require all other Board seats to go through an election process.

First thing we need is volunteers. Your obligation as a Board member would include (but not limited to):

  • Attending a couple of in-person dinners/meetings per year
  • Keeping track of items/issues you've heard from other Members for discussion
  • Voting on Club policies & playing rules
  • Contributing to the resolution of any spontaneous issues that arise, such as rain-outs
    • This means you have to respond to texts in a timely manner, and should eliminate most of you from consideration
  • Approving potential new Members (if space is available)

The Board is something we need so our Chairman can pass blame. It's not really glamorous. The other day I was asked by a 3+ year Member: "who's actually on the Board?[Chandler, Faz, John, Gary, JW]

People don't know, nor care, because our operation is pretty smooth. Off the top of my head, the biggest thing the next Board will vote on is the elimination of "gimmie" putts. Riveting stuff.

If you've played in at least 20 events (which is everyone except the four most recent Members), make a comment to be on the ballot.
 
--------------------------------------

In related "Board" news, I received a tip that Big John — Supreme Allied Commander of the Boozer's Golf Review — unilaterally fired the entire BGR Board of Directors. He subsequently filled the vacancies with Adam, Troy, and Billy.

If this report can be verified, it's potentially very exciting news as the replacements are much more knowledgeable about booze and hanging out than the previous Board. Perhaps the new iteration can stop this once celebrated group from "fading into bolivian." Potentially returning the BGR to its Glory Days (an actual bar) instead of being chained to a radiator in the house next to a glory hole to the outside world.

Story developing.

21 comments:

  1. I will keep my hat in the ring (is that the saying?) because who else will text chandler about his mistakes on the blog like spelling chairman wrong in this post?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is some kind of BGR slander against me. Just because I'm busy reviewing courses outside of league play doesn't mean I'm slacking on the BGR. Also, John played in as many tournaments as I did this season.

    Isla del Sol - no cart girl but a snack shack between 5-6 and 13-14. Prices in line with normal pricing. Hot dog was microwaved instead of kept warm on the rollers as it should be. Post round scene is great. Bring a bathing suit and drink in the pool. Red tide was a detractor, but that's not year round.

    Erin Hills - beers were $4-$5, which is typical for resort pricing. Liquor drinks were around $14 for doubles. It's walking only, so it's not as enjoyable drinking as it is with a cart and a cooler. Hills don't make it easy to set down beers, and if you're in the fescue all day like I was you end up drinking the beers faster so you're not carrying them around while looking for golf balls. Drink stops set up after 4 and 13. Turn stand has some typical Wisconsin food in brats, sausages, and hot dogs. Also the typical chicken salad/tuna salad options. Post round hangouts at the resort patio with views of 18 green from a distance, first tee a little closer, and the putting course very clear. Irish pub doesn't open until 4, so if you have a morning round you probably won't be making it there. Best cheese curds I've ever had at the restaurant. Not chewy like most, and instead creamy, crunchy cubes.

    Anyway, I'll throw my name in the ring for the board again. I like meetings and deciding rules and nominating people for banishment, including myself and Gorecki.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vote “Geoff” and you’ll have no homework all year ***applause***

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll vote Geoff if he promises pony rides and free vending machines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m more of a gum and hats guy. Also longer recess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anyone want to sleep over and help me make buttons?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So it turns out "Charmian" passes the spell checker because it's a village in Iran. Probably where my wife was born.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm taking myself off the Board...time to share the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gary is essentially bored of director

    ReplyDelete
  10. I laughed very hard at Chandler’s comment only to then just shake my head at Geoff’s geoke

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gary, you're not allowed to quit the BOD. You're the wise man and voice of reason amongst all the chaos. You have to represent for us old guys (me, you, and Reid).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like Darren is putting his name in the ring.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's up to Reid to represent us then...#oldguysmatter

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both JW and John are wanting to remain on the board after the stunts they pulled in prior meetings? One of the main duties of a board member is to represent and provide a voice for the members of the league. Read through those meeting minutes and judge for yourself if you feel they're taking their elected positions seriously and not self-serving.

    If a (somewhat of an) "old guy" needs to hold a seat on the board, I'll officially announce my candidacy!

    And if Geoff is bribing err influencing voters with perks, my buttons/stickers will offer "Free Beer Tomorrow!"

    ReplyDelete
  15. For those of you who have no idea what Gorecki is talking about... he's in Butthurt Nation because his name was brought up multiple times for expulsion from the Club.

    Part of the reason why his name was brought up - per the minutes - is because after 9 years and over 100 tournaments, he still didn't know he wasn't allowed to clean mud off his ball in the rough. He thought the rule was that you COULD clean it, as long as you didn't pick it up.

    So since we're guaranteed to have a vote, you people will need to decide if one of our representatives self-servingly refuses to learn basic rules.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes. I put in my comment that I nominated Gorecki for banishment. Say what you will about WDing, but at least I know the rules of golf and don’t try to cheat. Remember, there’s a reason our comments are called “pool pumps.”

    ReplyDelete
  17. If it makes you feel any better Gorecki, one time I proposed that we ban anyone named Mike from of from the league. Solved a lot of problems that everyone complains about. Sure I smiled inside, but it was in attempt to address all issues and not single any Mike out. Therefore I was also taking into account your delicate psyche. I like to think I am very thoughtful and listening to the voices of my constituents.

    ReplyDelete