Tuesday, March 8, 2022

FBGC Championship - Spring 2022 Recap

Brendan picked up his sixth TOUR victory and 3rd Major last Sunday, in a dominating performance at Big Cypress. The course is a really good test of shot-making, which was even more difficult in the double-digit winds. Speaking of double-digits... we were on a "good pitcher" watch for awhile, until a quad on #17. As Geoff pointed out, Brendan is a master at shaving a few strokes late into his victories:

May 2015 - Chandler Classic: Brendan smokes the field shooting -16 (net) to claim his first victory. He doubled the final two holes.
 
January 2019 - DPT Open: Win #3 at -4 (net)... despite a 50 (gross) on the back nine. He was +8 on the final three holes alone. This should have been a good pitcher situation.

March 2021 - Hangover Invitational: Brendan shoots -4 (net) for win #4. He had -10 in his grasp until a 6-over performance on holes 14-16. 

May 2021 - FBGC Open: Finishes -5 (net), shooting 6 over on the final four holes.

If almost all of Brendan's victories involve him leaking oil down the stretch, I wonder how many wins he threw away?



Reid choked too, unable to tie Brendan thanks to doubles on the final two holes.
 
And a shout-out to Troy who has played exceptionally well the two tournaments held at Big Cypress.

It really felt like another Dave day... until the Irishman blew his first tee-shot into a lake and made a triple bogey — on what should be an easy hole. I told him on the first green he didn't need to worry about winning the tournament anymore. He then shot +3 (gross) on the remaining 17 holes.

Only 9 people remain mathematically capable of winning the season. But let's face it — Dave has this locked up. It might go down as the greatest season ever. It's the first time our Membership is maxed out (24 players), our average field size is the largest ever, the schedule is probably the most difficult we've ever faced, Dave has been around an 8 Index the entire time, and his finishes are: 1st, 6th, 1st, 3rd, 2nd, 2nd.

Contrast that with last year's Champion, Travis, who in four events has placed 16th each time. His season might challenge Gorecki's Summer 2017... when Mike earned a total of 15 DPT Points despite playing in all nine events.
 
Conditions at BC were as good as ever. All the feedback I received was positive. Especially from the ex-BGR guys who discovered an $8.50 six pack deal. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that, after Darren paid $23 for six 12-oz cans at Glen Lakes.

-----------------------------------------------

Even though the season looks to be wrapped up, we still have to go through the motions for the sake of history. This week is the Hangover Invitational at Diamond Hill - 9:28am and $53ish.

We have never played this course in the stroke-play history of our Club. We did go there once in our 2nd season of 2-man Scramble... back in March of 2012. There were a lot of calls to give it a shot based on the "interesting" layout and proximity to Tampa-proper.

I already regret booking it.

Larry — who I think is the GM — told me the greens were the "best in the area." Larry is a liar... or blind. They are "fine." They are "decent." But they are by no means "best," especially compared to Big Cypress which is right up the road.

I guess it'll be a good course for the Hangover, since the 1959 layout leads me to believe Chic Adams — who also did Seminole Lake — was heavily on the sauce.

More on the course later. The bar Saturday night will be at Mackenzie's Sports Tavern. I've never been there, but our Social Chair says it's good. It's also within walking distance of Green Iguana Westshore and Dead Bob's Too... so we can hop if we need to.

I'll get there around 7pm to check out their wings. See some of you then.

11 comments:

  1. Correction.... I paid $29 for a six pack at Glen Lakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m always leaking oil. It’s not a matter of if I’m gonna blow up but when. It’s just more noticeable when it happens at the end of the round.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a feeling that there will be a The Villages style documentary done on the Big Cypress 55+ Community one of these days. That pool party was quite lively. I also wonder how many old timers have plummeted to their death on that narrow stretch of cart path that runs with the pool on the east and the rocks and lake on the west.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm...didn't notice that...guess I was more impressed with the raised yellow refector divider line in the middle of that same cart path...probably needed after 1 too many head on collisions after sunset and a long day hanging out at the Club/pool? #1800askBrian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Despite my continued terrible play I enjoyed the course. Lost 5-6 balls which is more than I’ve lost the entire season. Made the worst par anyone had every witnessed on that short par 5 after being on the green in 2 about 20’ away. Driver, sand wedged, putter, putter, putter! FUCK! I blame it all on forgetting my wallet. Thanks to our fearless leader I was able to bum money for the round and range balls. Should’ve went for 18 of those cold cans instead.
    Good luck to everyone including Dave at Diamond Hills. Apparently word has spread that I dislike/am jealous of him winning. It’s not completely false, however Dave is a good man on days he doesn’t talk shit about the Bills.
    Diamond Hills is a fun course worth a chance in the high priced winter months. Rough Will be dirt. Fairway will be sparse. Greens will have bumps. I messed up and had a kid 7 years ago this coming Sunday. I will miss the opportunity to finish last and purchase a pitcher. #adjust my index already!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Big Cypress is a fun course. Definitely tricked up and challenging with tight fairways and lots of water to find... But I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Big 16 guy. Just want everyone else to have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was being discussed after the round so wanted to confirm that it was indeed Brendan’s career low gross score relative to par. Chandler has my sheet for everyone’s career low. I’m sure he’ll post it at some point.

    ReplyDelete