Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Jamaican Open - Spring 2022 Recap

I don't believe it's ever too late to "figure something out" in  your golf swing... but Reid's stellar play recently is too late to get his name etched on the Cup. His 79 (gross) on Sunday — despite a triple on #16 and a phantom lost ball penalty on #9 — set a new course record and earned his first Jamaican Open trophy.

Reid only missed one fairway, and recorded 28 putts — his fewest ever in Golfshot. He was also a few inches away from an ace on #8.

Back-to-back checks. One shy of a Tom Emanski.

Birthday boy Danny whiffed on the pinata, making triple on the 259 yard opening hole... only to lose by one. Gorecki was also in the mix, until he made a max on 16 — predictably blaming group-A for watching him play the hole. I guess it is well documented his best scores happen when nobody is watching...

Dave did his part to increase the season-ending drama, scoring zero points and buying a pitcher of beer. Unfortunately, Dear Leader didn't shoot the even-par 71 (gross) needed to stay alive in the standings.

It's a long overdue title for the Irishman. Welcome to the Club within the Club. It was a pleasure to watch such great golf.



---------------------------------------------

We're headed to Tampa Bay Golf & Country Club this Sunday. It's a private Club just off I-75 (you've probably seen their par-3 course from the interstate). We've tried to go there in the past but were routinely denied. This week they're letting us out after their Members at 11:30am.

I'm sure I played this course 30+ years ago... probably with JW... but I don't know much about it. It's "short" but allegedly challenging. Target golf, it seems. The scorecard on their website is stale so I hope to get some more information on the Black vs. Blue tees.

See you Sunday. It'll probably be raining.

18 comments:

  1. Didn’t realize that’s the Jamaican’s first Jamaican. Does that complete the championships for Reid? Chandler or Faz, y’all know who all has won every tournament at least once? Congrats, Reid, on the win. Jealous of your golfing rounds these days.

    What were the thoughts on the course? Will we be venturing back out there? Was it worth playing longer like y’all thought? I’d love to try playing it forward and see how I do. I think my game would work way better forward on that course, kind of like Buffy Creek. Put it on super easy mode and still give me 20+ strokes and maybe I can compete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did a quick perusal, and I think Chandler is the only one to have won (including ties as we do) every tournament.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ll have to get back to you on who has the active tournament slam.

    Greens were rock solid as expected since they were new. But also super crusty. I like their contours, but I’m sure some people struggled on them. Group A did not.

    Rest of course was bare. They should have overseeded fairways this winter. Rough has a lot of dirt patches.

    I do like the layout. Playing up was the way to go for sure - for us short hitters. It was windy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh… the new cartpaths on front nine were a joke. Most are in play. Dave hit like 3 of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can we decide to never play at 11:30 again? Can we have more 8:00am-9am tee times to counter this horseshit?

    Supreme leader : No and No

    ReplyDelete
  6. 11:30 wasn’t our call. You gotta play late at private clubs.

    One round at 11:30 won’t kill you. So… no, and no.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The group A pull softens the blow. Thanks randomizer.

    Congrats to Reid and Dave. Had no clue Dave didn’t have a championship yet. Seems wrong.


    In closing, can we length the seasons? 52 weeks in a year. Competitive golf for 18 of them is Shameful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I concur with chandler, greens were hard but good contours. Not enough grass on the rest of the course for me.

    Thanks Dan, after three close attempts it’s nice to close one.

    Where is the season party after the round on Sunday? Pool party?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adam drained his pool so we wouldn’t come over.

    18 weeks plus Rapture is too difficult for some of “you people”

    Speaking of…

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can barely spend 6 hours with some of y’all. Don’t want to subject myself to 3 days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No one doing a Sunday pool party at 7pm when we finish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The same “no ones” wouldn’t do an after party - pool or not - if we tee’d off at 6am. Those of us who hang out after golf will do so again Sunday. As is tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Let me know what the stroke difference is for the Blue tees.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can’t. Blues don’t exist on the card despite the USGA site saying they do. I called and they said the Blacks “really play 6,094”

    Their words. We will run with it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on the season championship, Dave. Well deserved. Very impressive play the last two weeks by Reid as well.

    I think Dear Leader is 100% right regarding the attendance at a hypothetical season ending pool party. Unless we finished up the season at Big Cypress and could crash one of their pool parties. Then all bets are off.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Some big swings in our Handicap Indexes this week too. Congrats to Dan on finally adding some sand to his bags.

    ReplyDelete