Last Sunday was the perfect punctuation for our most difficult season ever. Former Member Greg said: "this must be what golf is like in Hell."
What was that course?!
Let's start with the good: It was probably the best overall conditioned course we've played in awhile. Greens were receptive and rolled true (a little slow but I highly doubt they cut them after all that rain). The fairways were over-seeded and not nearly as flooded as we feared. And the rough actually had grass — a rarity this time of year in Florida.
All the par 3s were nice looking. I liked the 9th hole. The green contours were interesting and well done. The weather was great, and the late tee time was appreciated by the Members with social lives! Umm... that's about it.
Tampa Bay G&CC kicks you right in the dick from the opening tee shot. Not quite in the same way as Lake Jovita South or Bloomingdale. Instead, you're asked to either hit a 200 yard shot leaving 180 in to a tiny green... or a 240 yard draw past some houses that will find a lake if it draws too much, or find OB if it doesn't. The second hole was insane - 506 yards with a legit 20-yard wide fairway the entire hole. Lake on the left and OB on the right.
Nobody with any architectural knowledge designed this course... which is probably why I can't find who is credited with this abomination. The white tees didn't look much better. Sure... it's shorter, but the landing areas are the same postage stamps. Everyone metaphorically threw up on themselves out there... perhaps leading to one Member physically throwing up on himself after the round.
Usually you can look at our scorecard and quickly identify a handful of easy holes. I guess that would be the 4th hole — the only par 3 not playing 180+ into a wind. But there's only one non-par-3 where someone didn't make an 8 or higher.
-----------------------------
Whatever... this recap needs to keep moving.
Geoff won by making bogey on the last two holes - which is pretty damn impressive. Travis was the only Member to better his score on those holes, and Tony actually parred them both!
As Geoff relaxed on the patio, Troy blew a two-stroke lead with some untimely penalties. He played amazing all day... and might be one of our best approach players at the moment.
Other shit I noticed:
- Gorecki was the ONLY person to make par on all the par 3s. It's very likely the first time in his life he's done this.
- Crum had himself quite the day. He is officially the first player to owe 3 pitchers. But his back-nine 70 is still not as bad as Steve P's back-nine 72 in 2012. And that was when our max was double-par!
- Crum also finished the season with 50 points... which he only earned by tying Chandler's "ghost" in Match Play. Meow-ch.
- Four guys earned points while still owing bad pitchers. That's probably a record.
-----------------------------
Great season everyone. We have a few outings planned during our long break (one I'll post later today). Check back often... post your own outings... get involved... and be sure to pay your bar tab.
Thanks for getting us out to play there. I had to call in a favor and get the mother in law to watch the kids for me so I could play, but was glad I did. It was definitely a tough course, but one that I really enjoyed - that probably has something to do with getting off the tee well (until I wasn't) and not hitting off of completely dead, hard pan fairways, that have as much grass as if I had trimmed the grass myself with a #1 guard hair clipper. Their fairways weren't perfect, they were in pretty good shape, but as you said, the greens were really in nice shape.
ReplyDeleteI'd definitely go back there if we get another opportunity.
I'd play it again, but move 1 tee up considering I played the par 3s in +4!
ReplyDeleteWhat happened Gary? You told me no less than 3 times that you don’t need to play that course ever again. That course was designed by a carnival game creator.
ReplyDeleteI agree with back-in-time Gary. Darren wants another shot at it. I might humor him but definitely not making the Club suffer. I’m glad we all saw it for the first time together.
ReplyDeleteIt’s worth another appearance. Course was in great shape. I enjoyed holes 4-9. Trouble was sneaky close to all the greens which didn’t fair well for me as my approach shots are not reliable. I miss on all sides of the green. No consistency.
ReplyDeleteWell...my cartmate lectured to me about all my negatively, so I thought he wanted me to embrace all the good things about this course and give it the respect it was due??
ReplyDeleteThe course was definitely tight and hard, but I wouldn’t object to playing out there again. But I like any course with good playing conditions. Unlike buddy creek, which has never had them….
ReplyDeleteI can’t believe you people are up for playing this course again.
ReplyDeleteMaybe next time Gorecki is about to win a season.
Also… Buffy Creek will happen again. Not sure when… but eventually.
I will never willingly play that again.
ReplyDelete