Monday, June 13, 2022

Skins Game - Summer 2022 Recap

Apparently people only read (retain?) the first part of these write-ups. So let's switch up things up:

Rules reminder/clarification - Playing Rule 8 states: "If a shot is known to be OB (or in the vicinity of OB), a provisional must be taken."
 
This means you can't "choose" to take a 2-stroke penalty where your ball went OB. You need to re-hit (with penalty) if you or anyone in your group thinks your ball is out of play.
 
The 2-stroke penalty option (Rule 8.1) can be used if your entire group is surprised to discover your ball OB. It's a last resort thing to save you from riding back to the tee box.
 
At this time, we have not implemented the USGA's "drop in the fairway for 2 strokes" local rule.
 
--------------------------------------------

Tall Mike survived the heat yesterday, making par on the final hole to snatch away a shared "victory" with Faz. Mike's last win was two years ago at Esplanade, stealing the season title from Gorecki.

While it's been awhile since we've seen Moostie in the winners circle, Faz's winless streak is up to 56. JW still holds the record at 61, so we could see that mark tied at the Concussion.
 
Yesterday was funny. Danny was 2nd to DFL but won the most skins in his group. Almost as impressive as him hitting three different balls in three consecutive shots on a hole, two of which weren't his. Casey had some epic course management meltdowns — unaware of water hazards despite having a large image of each hole on his GPS watch the entire day. Travis was bogey-free through 12 holes, but not in the good way.

It was brutally hot out there. And while we knew the greens would be punched (my group actually putted well despite this), the pro shop did not inform me the range was closed for repairs. That definitely affected some of our early holes — as seen with Darren who would have won if not for a 9 on the easy first hole. We made a lot of birdies, and it's possibly the first time we've ever had two eagles in a tournament.

Overall I was surprised at the lack of hate for the course after the round. It's scoreable if you play smart, and the greens are usually excellent. We'll probably return in a couple of years.

--------------------------------------------
 
We're off next weekend for Father's Day. Enjoy your family time, and I'll see you at Bayou Club in two weeks.
 
Speaking of, we only have 20 spots available. So right now anyone who changes their RSVP to "IN" will be an alternate. Fear not, I'm sure someone will bail before the tournament.
 
Rapture rankings also lock after our next event. See you then.

4 comments:

  1. I love a streak. That’s why I 3 putt 18 from like 30 feet. Gotta keep it rolling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, sorry Faz. I was actually aware of the streak going into the last few holes, which magically added to the motivation. Either you or I were going to break that streak...at least that's how I saw it.

    Really enjoyed the course though, despite how narrow and tough it was, and I think many others also did too.

    Can't wait to play it when the greens are in great shape! Let's not wait a couple of years to return.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Course was very manageable if you can control your misses. I could not when I needed. Apparently few others had success in that department. Made 3x as many putts on those plinko boards than I did putting through the rough at fox hollow. With the way things are going for me that streak needs to extend its reaches towards a triple digit number. Good win Moostie! Now that we are enforcing the rules I will redact my proposal to add an extra stroke for an OB ball that’s dropped at nearest point. I may have played with humans that chose to declare that drop from the tee box rather than hitting a provisional.

    ReplyDelete