Monday, August 1, 2022

FBGC Championship - Summer 2022 Recap

Melberg picked up his 3rd win and 2nd Major yesterday, proving that in the right conditions a low handicapper CAN win. His course record 78 (gross) was quite impressive, as everyone (except Topor) struggled to make net-birdies.

Lake Jovita (South) is a tough test. But conditions were solid with the exception of most bunkers. Pin placements were dicey, but the greens rolled well considering they were punched a week ago.

Melberg sneaks into the Championship discussion, but missing this week is severely hurting his chances.

Topor looked like he was going to boat race the field, only to falter down the stretch like he did at Bayou Club earlier this season. He still controls his own destiny, but the 112.5 points he missed out on by one stroke might haunt him when the season ends.

Dan was kind enough to visit the ATM for the first time in a decade, providing actual cash payouts... which thoroughly seemed to confuse some of the winners. Gorecki let out a squeal when he saw physical money, like a stripper on her first night at the Gold Club.

While there's no telling how our policy will continue in the future, at least you can all sleep soundly knowing that  
 
1) The Club is holding onto $339 less of your monies, and  
 
2) Melberg will now have to send in a dues payment next season since his balance is void of the winnings that would have covered Spring 2023. Congrats to all involved.
 
No word if he was mugged in the parking lot.

--------------------------

I didn't really hear any complaints about the shotgun start... only a few questions as to why and how it came to be. So here are my observations:
  • It was nice to all finish at the same time. Most of the field came inside for a few moments. A good amount hung out for lunch/drinks.
  • The wait-staff was not impressed with 20+ guys arriving at once, and service suffered because of it.
  • It was one of the longest rounds we've ever played, clocking in at ~4:42. That should not have been the case, and only means someone ahead of Group A was playing slow a shit. The course obviously never found nor attempted to solve the problem, and probably just blamed the pace on our group.
  • I don't see a lot of shotguns happening in our future, but I can request it if people want. As previously mentioned, most courses don't want to be bothered.
--------------------------
 
This week we're playing The Concussion at Chi Chi Rodriguez golf club in what is technically inside the Clearwater city limits. This course has been on my own personal ban list since I last played it sometime around 2007. So why are we going here?

Because — as always — I'm a man of the people. Brendan, John, and Casey have repeatedly requested this course, claiming it's solid and in good shape. So I have no reason to doubt their opinions. If you disagree, be sure to be as loud as you are about everything else.

Everyone is on the WHITE tees for this event. I don't have a current scorecard. I've already dropped one tee time based on RSVPs so only 20 players max. Tee time is 9am. I think there's a range across the street, but you have to drive to it and I'm not sure it's connected in any way to the course or our round.

See you Sunday.

10 comments:

  1. There is a large driving range across the street but they recently renovated their practice area. They have maybe 6 mats in an interesting netted area to warm up and then a decent chipping and putting area. Since this course gets funding for kids golf it does not serve alcohol so you will want to pack your own. They do have hot dogs and snacks but I would suggest food at a nearby restaurant afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brendan, the driving range across the street is fully functional for hitting irons & drivers?

    Do we want to keep up the cash or Venmo payouts?

    I only brought cash because the man of the people decided to call me out after I asked questions and made suggestions. I believe someone from the board should be responsible for this task if we want to continue. When I brought it up I didn’t say cash was required. A Venmo transfer is sufficient in my book. It was fun seeing smiles again though!

    Good round and great win melberg! Dave gave me gyspy grass and I failed to notice you had a shot at winning until the 16th hole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes across the street is a fully functional range

    ReplyDelete
  4. We pay out winners? I wouldn't notice since I only win match play.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poblanos (Mexican food) right down the road is a nice place to have food/drinks afterwards. Free chips and salsa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Danny is confusing Skins and Match Play again, which is probably why he has a losing Match Play record.

    ReplyDelete
  7. si si quiero que me paguen mis ganancias en pesos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The game can't grow any more. It's time to shrink it.

    ReplyDelete