Friday, November 4, 2022

2022 Winter Board Meeting Notes

The improvement of our Club continues!
 
Let's start with my favorite topic... things we rejected:
  • Buchert suggested the ability to raise (and I assume lower) handicaps based on the perceived playing ability of a Member. This was rejected 0-5. 
    • Technically, the Handicap Committee (which is the Board in our case) has the ability to do this under USGA Rules of Handicapping 7.1. But that's typically reserved for injuries. And you people are only mentally injured.
  • Buchert suggested "gimmies" after "good shots," which he claims happens "one or two times per round." This was rejected 1-4, with John voting in favor.
    • Faz doubted the frequency of these alleged "good shots," while Chandler argued the best part of hitting a "good shot" to "a couple of inches" was slowly walking up and taking your time tapping it in as a way to troll your playing partners.
  • Gorecki wanted more random pairings, outside of the 3 we have in our first four weeks. This was rejected 0-5.
    • While not the worst idea we've ever heard, the Board didn't feel like a change was needed.
  • Gorecki wanted to add a rule for bailing, which historically has been called "Gorecki-ing." This failed 0-5.
    • Faz wants Gorecki to name courses we are missing out on due to un-signed contracts. Chandler already explained on a previous post how this rarely comes up. Chandler also reiterated that if any Member costs the Club money — for any reason — we will recoup it.
  • Melberg wants to scrap all handicaps and just play straight-up from different tee boxes, based on your Index. This failed 0-5.
Here are the changes we've implemented:
  •  Buchert wants the defending Champion to pick his tee time. This was approved 4-1, with Chandler dissenting.
    • We're going to allow the defending Champ's preference for the first three (non Skins) events of the season. Pairings will still be random, and if you're in the Champ's group, you'll go out when they desire. Skins Game will continue to pair by Index, allowing the better (and faster) players to go out first.
  • A new Cash-Out policy was approved 5-0. Starting immediately, you can request Dear Leader to send you any balance above two seasons worth of dues during the winter off-season. Currently that number would be $270.
    • Coincidentally, we realized Geoff had a balance of $271. He immediately made a request, and was paid in full.
Physical cash payouts are at the discretion of Dear Leader.
 
 Changes to the Rapture (all of these approved 5-0):
  •  Handicap Indexes used at the Rapture will lock at the end of the Summer season.
    • This will disincentivize any manipulating of Indexes, and hopefully allow people to focus on improving before the event.
  • The Rapture Draft will be held ASAP after the end of the Summer season.
  • Rapture qualifying — including Captain qualifying — will now lock at the end of the Summer season (previously locked after Summer Week 3).
    • World Golf Rankings will still be used, which is based on a rolling 18 events.
These are some pretty big changes to our premier event.

Enjoy the off-season, and I'll see you at the next BGR event!

12 comments:

  1. I like the Rapture Qualifying change to the end of the Summer Season...this gives added incentive to compete for World Ranking points down the stretch when your season tanks early!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We didn’t make any changes to the hangover, which is the club’s premier event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't someone once suggest freezing handicaps in order to not discourage and/or penalize the few players in the League at any given time that are putting in the effort to get better? At the time of suggestion, I believe it was called the "dumbest thing ever said" or something along those lines.

    As always, I appreciate the Board taking the time to review suggestions and thanks for actually approving one of my dumb ideas this time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buchert is referencing the suggestion to lock handicaps at the START of each season. The Board considered this in 2021, and my notes as posted on this blog read:

    - Lock handicaps at the start of the season: Faz led the discussion with: "That's the dumbest thing Buchert has ever said." It then failed 0-5. We talked about updating handicaps MORE often, but we didn't think even weekly updates was worth the additional time/effort needed. There's also some concern with the lack of scores posted by certain people. So for now, handicap revisions will continue on the 1st and 15th.

    However, I don't think locking handicaps for 9 events that take place over the course of 3-4 months is the same as locking handicaps for 1 exhibition event. Could just be me, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait a second, I thought the Rapture was THE premier league event!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It failed 0-5. It’s you and at least 4 other people. Also, if you’re sandbagging at the end of a season instead of trying to win tournaments, that’s just a dumb move by you. I recommended moving rapture qualification back to the end of the summer season so golf played over a year ago won’t count towards it. Chandler recommended locking rapture handicaps at draft time so there would be no sandbagging after that. We all eventually agreed on the end of the season. I like the end of the season because that should be the most legit handicap a club member will have with as few handicap fluffing (or in some cases, handicap sabotaging) rounds as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The premier league exhibition event!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure what JW was trying to convey in his first three sentences, but I'm a fan of the changes he proposed. With the Rapture taking place in the Fall, rather than the end of the Summer Season, I think moving the qualification to the end of the summer season makes a lot of sense. The two captains should end up being the two players that had the best Spring and Summer Seasons from that year, rather than the previous Summer Season coming into play. I like that.

    I just read the part about "locking" handicaps and laughed. I realize it is a very different scenario, but I'm happy to see that the handicap system that we currently have in place can be adjusted if and when it makes sense to do so. I think they are all good moves.


    ReplyDelete
  9. Disjointed thoughts. Agreed witch Chandler and then jumped ahead to finish my thoughts about why locking handicaps for the rapture makes sense before I started that thought. Replying on this site on the phone sucks, but we gotta do what we gotta do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One week later and Geoff is the only person to request to cash out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My bad, I was waiting until I saw you so I could request a physical cash payout.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As the post stated, physical cash is up to Dear Leader's discretion. And Dear Leader doesn't carry cash.

    I don't like your chances of getting dollar billz.

    As it stands... still only one official request!

    ReplyDelete