Tuesday, February 28, 2023

2023 Spring - The Concussion Recap

The prevailing thought — which I have not had time to research — is that marriage causes a decline in golfing performance. Dave says my unquenched thirst for knowledge and stats results in me not having a life, so I can't verify the marriage hypothesis. But one thing is certain...

John is undefeated post-nuptial.

Yes, the jokes were flying off the shelves all day, as he navigated a near perfect round of golf. Is he swinging better without his testicles? Unlikely, as he hasn't had those for quite some time.

Whatever the reason, John played incredibly smart golf throughout the Groves. And his putter is back to "best in league" form.
 
Living his best life.

 --------------------

The Groves was also in good form... for an "executive" course. Fairways were a little patchy and greens a little bumpier than I recall from previous years. But it's a good sensible challenge, only lacking the Countyway grill experience.

They didn't seem to care that Gorecki brought a cooler of beers. So extra faux-BGR points giveth, only to be taketh for shutting down the grill before 5pm.

--------------------
 
Other things that I've heard discussed:
 
- #4 had the widest spread in Club history: Seven strokes: Eagle 3 for Moostie and max 10 for Reid 
 
- #18 still sucks but is a much better hole as a par-5 with the new back tees
 
- Gorecki wanted me to point out that Ho had to get up-and-down for a sandie-birdie on #18 just to tie Gorecki (gross). I took this to mean Gorecki is acknowledging it's embarrassing when anyone ties or loses to him.

- The second half of the season is going to get very interesting... with Reid, Gorecki and Gary at the top trying to get their first ever Championship. The bonus 100 Match Play points on Sunday are essential to achieve their goals.

--------------------
 
This week we are at Crescent Oaks at 10am. Cost should be $65ish - and we haven't played here officially since 2016. It's a brute of a course, so the 55/25 club (Gary, Troy and Danny) can move up to the WHITE tees if they want. Let me know before Sunday.

This scorecard matches the most recent one I have.



15 comments:

  1. Congrats to John and a hell of a Gross Score.

    John now joins Casey and Troy in the "3 Timers Club" as champion of this elite tournament.

    And stop ASSuming as the reason I even checked Ho's gross score was someone (to remain nameless) said he made an agreement that "if Gorecki ever beats me in Gross, I'll quit the league". So needless to say there have been league members playfully rooting for this to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I’m all in on this, correct my mistake Goreicki! Ho repeated this on Sunday, he will quit if you beat him gross.

    I’m probably gonna play Friday afternoon in crescent oaks if anyone wants to join

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad it wasn’t just me having some issues with the greens. I had several plinko all over the place. Certainly not why I tied Gorecki gross but was a little frustrating. Almost felt like I had a mild concussion…

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to Dave, Troy, and Crum for being so welcoming to our guest Sunday. She had a great time hanging out at the golf course with daddy and his friends. Might need to add a toddler dad’s golf review because I’m more accustomed to that than booze golf anymore.

    Really like the eagle opportunities out there. Never seen Troy get as excited as he did after hitting the green, or just off it I guess, on 10. Everyone in our group had at least one try for eagle with a putter whether it was on the green or slightly off it. Dave lipped his out like he did several other putts. Mine was a cup wide or so.

    Two things I’d like to note for next time. On 5 there’s a free drop if you end up in the roots to the right of the green. I replayed the hole from there after seeing that was an option as I thought was fair and still do. And on 16 OB starts halfway up the hole on the right that is difficult to see marked from the tee box. I re-teed that one because I’m 95% sure it went OB over that fence and not over the reds.

    Greens were bumpy all day, but my putting was so much worse than the greens I didn’t think twice about it. I think the course is a fun short one and my strategy of erring on the side of safety allowed me to out the wheels back on for a bit when I was far short of my A game. Congrats to the recently minted Webermeier family on your big win.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny you mention the fence on 16. Blew my drive way right and it ended up against the fence but still on the course. I chopped at it to move it off the fence. Wonder how many would have taken free relief from a man made object.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For those of you wondering based on Faz's comment...

    You do NOT get free relief from an OB fence/boundary/stake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. But red stakes are movable if it interferes with your shot, correct?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Red stakes you can remove and replace. One time I removed a white stake because I didn’t know that rule. I bought a pitcher anyway that round probably. It was a big pvc tube that pulled out without much effort, so I figured it was ok to move it and replace it since there seemed to be a buried sleeve for it. There was blog discussion later and I learned the lesson then.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting to see a Maltese in the field this week. Many years ago a different Maltese joined us at this course and shot a smooth 124.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And caused me to shoot a 104 for a DFL finish. #neveragain

    ReplyDelete
  11. So can I bring a guest to join Group B? I think RMB wiuld like to improve on that 124.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Commish - I only just now finished putting in the stats for this week’s event. I wish I had done it before the write up because a huge congrats needs to go out to some members. Tall Mike tied his all-time best gross score (+6) relative to par, Danny set a new low of +17 (previously +20), Gorecki set a new low of +13 (previously +16), and John set a new low of +3 (previously +6).

    His +3 has only ever been bested by:
    Melberg -6!!!
    Gary +1 (twice)
    Casey +1
    Dave +1
    Chandler +2
    Ho +2

    ReplyDelete
  13. John needs some Groves swag. Everyone should wear logos of their best gross rounds.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like that idea except people will think we are members of buffalo creek!
    Is there a range tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete