Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Match Play - Spring 2023 Recap

Like it or not — and most of us don't like it — we were due to play Crescent Oaks. It had been 7 years since our last visit, and it's not deserving of our "shadow ban" list.

I'm glad it's over. The 1st and 18th holes are perfect bookends to that layout. There were 10 max scores (28%) on those two holes. Five Members failed to record a par on the back nine! (Topor is now 55 holes away from tying Gorecki's streak of 70 consecutive holes without a par!)

There are some things Crescent Oaks should do to improve:
  • Remove / trim a handful of oak trees. 
  • Add like 30 OB stakes on various holes to clearly define the field of play
  • Expand all 18 greens, which have definitely shrunk over the past 10+ years
  • Get creative with the tee box choices. Perhaps add a Blue/White combo
  • Fill in some bunkers (they did this in a few spots). You're never getting a TOUR event, so why is it so penal off the tee?
-------------------------
 
Where us commoners struggled, Melberg saw an opportunity — shooting a new FBGC Course Record 77 (gross) with 3 birdies and nothing worse than bogey. His -1 (net) was a thing of beauty. Maybe he's poised to make a run at a title, something many low-handicap doubters thought was possible.

And then there was Troy... who had the Club-best +2 (gross) on the final seven holes... resulting in an unbelievable charge up the leader board to tie for the victory. Troy has had a very rough start to the season. If he can shoot -1 (net) at Crescent Oaks, he might just achieve his goal of being a 2023 Rapture Captain. Gotta get his money's worth out of those custom shirts!

-------------------------
 
Shoutout to Crum for his career-tying best finish ever (3rd), despite carding three max-9s. I'm told he would have easily won with a little more course management. One day he'll learn... but today he's just not ready.

I'll get yelled at if I don't mention Topor's new FBGC Course Record of 123.

I don't believe the 12 bad pitchers is a record for one event, but at the rate some of you are adding to the Deadbeat List we might need a keg party after the season. This gives me an excuse to post one of the many things I track: "Bad Pitchers per Season" (through 2022). Note how everything jumped after the 2020 handicap changes, and how many more bad pitchers are owed in Spring vs. Summer:

PpR = Pitchers per Round

-------------------------

We're off the next two weeks for Spring Break and a Make-Up Week we don't need. Enjoy the time off.

Next event is March 26th at Lake Jovita (North). First tee time is 7:50am. Cost is $70 plus tax.

The cost we're quoted is always included on this blog, and in the top of the tee-sheet / leader board. Please check that before paying. I hear some people have been overcharged.

See you in a few weeks.

12 comments:

  1. Oh, totally didn't mention anything about the Match Play portion.

    Umm... no match made it to 18. Reid was the only player to win his match and not score any Stroke Play points. JW was way off on his "left side" bet. Pretty even mix of high vs. low handicappers winning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The left side bet won. Reid, Melberg, Faz, Adam, and Ho won, and only John, Gary, Dave, and Travis lost. Maybe you didn't understand what betting on the left side meant?

    And in Crum's defense, the driver is still probably the easiest club for most of us to hit and trying to hit "smart" shots can often result in bad swings that are even more damaging than anything but an OB drive or other re-tee drive. For example, on 18 at Groves, it would be better for me to hit it through the fairway into the junk and drop having a look at the green instead of the pull 6 iron into the junk on the left requiring a wedge up to have a look at the green. I don't know the specifics of his course management on that day, but I think folks with more consistent swings can often sit on high horses about course management without realizing that it's all about the comfort shot and not the smart shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I don't yell at you about course record announcements. I just like them made and if you don't do it I will announce it to those folks who aren't refined enough to use iphones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rarely understand anything. But in Crum's case, Dave told a funny story Sunday about him trying to go over trees instead of punching around them... leading to 2 balls pumped into the woods and a max 9. Turn that 9 into a bogey 6 and he's one shot back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, going over trees is typically not a smart or comfortable shot for me unless there’s no risk for hitting into those trees and I’d be just about the same position as a layup or punch out. I had assumed the blowup holes were giant pull draws OB.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Choosing the safe club and then still hitting it OB or in a penalty area probably gets me more angry than any other thing in golf. Leaving a greenside bunker shot in the bunker is up there along with getting too aggressive with a birdie putt and walking away with a 3 putt bogey. Just some random thoughts there; not really trying to critique anyone's decision making one way or another.

    I'm excited to play Lake Jovita North. It has been a long time since I've played it, but I remember liking the layout. I hear the betting favorite going into the tournament is Ho due to his extensive knowledge of the course.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s nice to see digital Buchard still alive after John’s wedding.
    After a max on hole 1 Crum had four pars with strokes on each, he actually hit a lot of 5 irons deep and on the fairway. Definitely the smartest Iv seen him play. 12 was a mental melt down, he tried to hit a hero shot on his approach that pros wouldn’t take on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I never played a perfect 18 holes. There is no such thing. I expect to make at least seven mistakes a round. Therefore, when I make a bad shot, I don't worry about it. It is just one of the seven."
    -Walter Hagen

    Yea, that's what I told myself after topping my drive into the water on #1, NOT!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You made par with the 2nd ball.

    What you did on 2 was way worse.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Let's just say I'd used up 5 of my 7 mistakes by the time I walked off the 2nd green...#playbetterisback!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jovita North is open for anyone to win. I'm hoping I can win so I can help Gary's losing streak get to 51. Congrats to Gary on joining the 50 straight losses club.

    ReplyDelete