Monday, April 17, 2023

Jamaican Open - Spring 2023 Recap

 

It was an interesting day yesterday in many different ways.  To start the round, the weather was perfect for scoring.  It was warm, but there wasn’t too much wind.  Then the wind picked up out of the northwest and it looked like we were going to get hit with a thunderstorm.  We dodged the storm, but the wind decided to stick around.  It’s rare that a group gets an advantage based on when they tee off, but I think Group 1 got lucky.  Hole number 4 played like a true Par 5 into the strong wind.   Picking the right club on Number 7 became much more difficult and Hole 8 probably played 50 yards longer than normal.  The more holes you were able to get in before the wind picked up, the better. 

Reid got off to a fast start.  He was three under (net) after three holes and looked to be cruising towards taking home his own tournament’s trophy.  Things got a little shaky towards the end of the front 9 and then a 7 on the short Par 3 #10 derailed any hope of winning. 

Brendan managed to birdie #4 going into the wind from the back tees.  He even beat out Dan for the long drive while doing so and we started joking around about what the nickname “B.D.” really stands for.  He made two more pars on holes 5 and 6, and then hit the green on #7 and had a pretty good look at birdie.  A two putt par looked inevitable and I thought I was witnessing the first “good” pitcher round of the season.  The three putt that followed didn’t seem like a big deal at the time, but it turned out to be the beginning of the end for BD.  His 39 on the front was followed up with a 53 on the back.  Still a Top 5 finish though.

What I have learned over the years is that a tournament at Grasslands really doesn’t start until Hole 13.  The scores on the front 9 are always very good.  Holes 10, 11, and 12 are all pretty short and straight forward.  The six hole closing stretch is a bitch even without strong winds.  Faz managed to play the final 6 holes even par and pulled away from the field.  Faz definitely deserved and earned the win with that finish.  The second best score on those final six holes was three over par. 

Chandler actually had the best round of the day (Gross), a 76, which is the new low scoring record at Grasslands.  Dan joined Faz and Chandler shooting in the 70’s with a 79 from the Gold/Blue combo tees.  He also had one of the more impressive Eagles that you will ever see on Hole 12 when he hit a 235 yard 3 iron about 30 feet past the hole and then drained the putt.  Buchert (hey, that’s me!) managed to avoid a goose egg for Season Points, finishing T-3 with Dan.

Just  some random observations that demonstrate the difference in difficulty between the Front 9 and Back 9 at Grasslands - Out of 20 players, nobody shot a 50 or worse on the Front 9.  We had 10 players shoot a 50 or worse on the Back 9.  We had 2 quadruple bogeys or worse on the Front 9.  There were 17 quads or worse on the Back 9.  Gorecki tied the course record for worst score with a 107 (48 on the Front 9; 59 on the Back 9).

Random note:  Danny recorded a par on Hole 12, so Gorecki’s streak lives on in infamy.

With Faz winning and Chandler coming in second place, things are set up for one of the most exciting finishes in recent FBGC history.  Reid, Faz and Chandler all control their own destiny.  If any of those three finish solo first, they win the Cup.  It doesn’t matter what anyone else does.  Gorecki, Melberg, Troy or Geoff would have a very good shot of winning the Cup with a solo first place finish.   Gary, JW, and Hauch would need to win and then get a decent amount of help.  

15 comments:

  1. Buchert for the board ‘23! (or ‘24, I have no idea when the next vote is)

    I will say that even in group 1 we played the 4th hole straight into a strong wind so I don’t think we had much of an advantage. You all would have had less time in the wind if group 2 wasn’t way behind all day.

    All I kept thinking throughout the round was how happy I was I decided to stay on whites. My driver was solid all day and I never hit anything more than 9 iron into any par 3 or 4 and went for 3 of the par 5s in 2. The only reason I couldn’t go at 4 in 2 was because I found the fairway bunker off the tee and went wedge wedge to avoid anything stupid. Super impressive rounds from a lot of you guys that played back tees, especially because I hear the golds were tipped out on a lot of holes.

    Next week should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have just noticed the wind "picking up" on Hole 4 due to the fact that it was the first hole going into the wind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good write up buchard. Looking forward to next week, The top 5 not getting any points this week makes it wide open!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really appreciate the recap help, Buchert!

    After the front 9 we all thought Danny was going to make a good run at the no-pars record. Alas he rolled in a nervy 3 footer to break the streak on 12.

    I really like Grasslands as a 17 hole course. The 17th is difficult but fair. The 18th is borderline unfair. I guess it’s an equalizer and ejects most higher handicaps, after giving them such an easy day earlier in the round. But it’s not a fun way to end your day!

    Group 1 played in 3:40. Group 2 played in about 4:00. Maybe a little less. I’ll post more on them in a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel weird posting stats about myself but I would call out something like this for anyone. I set a new career low for gross score with +5 and FINALLY beat my +6 from the first season in the Summer of 2012, by far the oldest such stat for anyone in the league. The vast majority of people’s career low gross scores are from the last few years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty sure everyone still eligible for the title just needs a win and the current top 3 to not finish top 2, and Reid not top 3. I think Ho might need top 3 not in top 3. Still better than I expected. Relatively wide open… and I might have to miss Sunday. Work travels have been heavy and I might need to skip to stay married.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I'm looking at the Points Grid correctly, Reid would be able to finish T-4 with two other players or solo 5 and that would give him more points than the maximum 1,283.8 that Gary would be able to earn with a solo victory. I think Faz can tie for third with one other player and still get above 1,283.8. Chandler would still be able to win with a solo 2nd or T-2 with one other player.

    I'm excited to watch the scores update on the App. I hope you get to play JW.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome. Going to be a fun round with the added excitement of tracking leaderboard changes with all the possibilities. Hopefully everyone else doesn't forget to play too lol.

    Congrats to you, Chis, for the new low gross..11 years..better savor it..or top it next week!

    Great write up, Buchert!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another fun fact, Casey’s birdie on 18 was the first in league history. We’ve played that hole 90 times. One birdie and 16 pars. 10 triples, 8 quads, and 7 max cincos, many of which probably didn’t even make it over the bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow yes 18 is a bitch, I think my par on Sunday was my first

    ReplyDelete
  11. You made par in the Summer of 21 as well. 2 5s, 2 6s, and a 7 for an average of 5.8.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My stroke average is 7.8 with 1 par...eehh

    ReplyDelete
  13. In league play I show an average of 7.2 for you Gary. One par, two doubles, a triple, and a quad.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now ya'll know I can't keep score right?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Inability to keep a correct score is our other big outbreak.

    ReplyDelete